Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Attack speed/ class

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

G
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 at 23:50 (GMT -5)

Some classes (notably archers) improve attack speed. At level 6 an archer has 'missile attacks take only 800 speed'

Problem is, you can get the same benefit from having a high level of weapon skill. What I want to know (preferably from people with high level archers) is if those types of class bonuses stack with weapon proficiency speed bonuses, or if the game just takes the best one?

L50 Archer with L15 in thrown spears, trident of the red rooster... around 70 or 80 points of damage :) And if it stacks, they would need about 200 action points to actually make an attack. Invincible. Is there a flaw in my reasoning here??
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 9 hours, 30 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 at 15:56 (GMT -5)

They stack. The formula is complicated, so that it's not straightforward multiplication. You can change your dynamic display to display the number of energy points your last action took. The default command is :t I think.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/6/2003 at 15:56 (GMT -5) by J.]
G
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2003 at 20:06 (GMT -5)

Thank you. But from checking a little, this doesn't seem quite as immortal a class choice as I first thought. Mindcrafters, Wizards and Monks seem to be able to get offensive powers to that level also, and even a fighter with decent speed wouldn't be far behind. An archer with an attack speed of say 300 wouldn't get any faster once he reached 300 speed :) just one attack per cycle. A wizard only needs to reach about a quarter of that speed to be able to do the same damage. Any faster and they exceed it.

Sorry, I'm still something of a newbie. Thank you for your help.
G
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2003 at 20:43 (GMT -5)

Oh, and I have one other thing. I just started a low level mindcrafter, having heard that they were almost impossible to keep alive and being a sucker for punishment. I have a question though. Magic can't be evaded by monsters, and it ignores their PV, it can only be resisted. This seems to be the case with mind blast, which I now have, but the problem with it is its useless against all the really hard guys (claw bugs, shadows..) I've been holding out in the hope that telikinetic blast will fix my problems. Does it? It says it is a physical attack. Does this mean it can be dodged and takes enemy armor into account? That would suck.
mozzy
Registered user

Last page view:

7437 days, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 01:02 (GMT -5)

it takes a lot of power points though.
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7312 days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 01:28 (GMT -5)

30.. I know.. terrible for a spell. Most Wizards have theirs down to six or seven by now. The Adom guidebook mentions that the Emperor Moloch is weak to "...blah blah blah... and Greater Telikinetic Blast" since he has immense PV, does that mean that TB and GTB ignore it?
You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

Probably yes, I don't think it would be too effective against the EM if it took PV into account.

TB and GTB are mindcrafter's only choice against chaos creatures and undead if they don't want to suffer from the side effects. Well, not the only choice, you can always go melee or use missiles.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Egg King
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 05:42 (GMT -5)

Also be invisible. TB and GTB dont give away your location so you can just keep doing it until it dies.
Ok so things that can see invis are usually what you want to be able to use this against but well you cant be totally godlike, it would spoil the fun:)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

Yes you can be. Just scum the bugcave for about 500 speed and you're pretty much invincible. Just don't get cocky, and don't do it in the early game, you'll advance in levels *QUITE* slowly after you've got that 500+ speed.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 20 hours, 11 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 04:04 (GMT -5)

Are you sure you can get 500 speed in version 1.1.1? It seems to me that speed increases now behave like a lot of other benefits from corpses: the higher the stat is already, the less likely it is that eating a corpse will boost it.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7436 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Did those corpses raise speed at some point? I thought they only raised dex (at the cost of wil).

Anyways, in the 1.1.1 it's probably impossible to raise dex to 99, like in the 1.0.0 where the killerbugs were introduced IIRC.

EDIT: raising dex raises speed (of cooz) but not to 500... I prefer quicklings :P (which work well in 1.1.1)

Icesus

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/10/2003 at 04:46 (GMT -5) by Ass Whisper]
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

The corpses do raise speed. Killer bugs give 4 speed, GCBs give 2. Those numbers are in addition to the speed increase from increased dex. Confirmed about two minutes ago with Ric Flair, the dirtiest player in the game, my most horribly cheated gray elven necromancer. Also, I think speed increases have been left like they've always been, as in they don't have a limit. I've eaten Nuurag's corpse, didn't get the mana increase, but got the speed increase (+11). I didn't have godly speed then, 150 at most.

Having high speed already has it's downside, getting pitiful amounts of experience from killing monsters. Maybe it shouldn't be limited like the normal stat increases are. "You are what you eat", thus eating hundreds of quicklings allows you to move as fast as them :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/10/2003 at 10:46 (GMT -5) by J.]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 21 hours, 32 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 at 02:38 (GMT -5)

J. : It is possible to get ridiculous speeds by eating lots of quicklings. One of my winner chars had a speed of 600+ mostly from eating quickling corpses (done after closing the gate, though). I suppose I could've gone even higher but I was getting bored with that.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

That has been my opinion all along. I might not have been very clear with my posts, but that's exactly what I've been trying to tell. OTOH, Eka and Fart indicated otherwise.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7436 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 at 11:34 (GMT -5)

Well, then Andy William's should update his guidebook. I checked for the speedthing in there, and it's missing w/ g-bugs and killers...

Icesus

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: