Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / -.-

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7321 days, 9 hours, 37 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 01:30 (GMT -5)

My view of races;

Humans are too boring to be played, because, deep down, you always know that you could have been twice as good with another race.

Elves are fun to play, but so weak that you never get to play them very long.

Gnomes and Hurthlings are flavor elements. Hurthlings can cook. Gnomes can identify gems. Yay.

Trolls are invincible warriors, so they starve to death instead.

Drakelings.. uh.. suck. Or something.

Adom ate my mindcrafter. I'm irritated.

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5774 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

So your favourite race is Dwarf or Orc then? Which one? I don't like Dwarves much because they're very picky about food, refusing to eat orcs. Orcs are pretty good fighters, starting with Backstabbing and Find Weakness - it's just a shame that they're chaotic.

What's wrong with Drakelings? They're strong and tough without being anywhere near as stupid as trolls (and without their food problems either) and they start with a whole bunch of useful skills.
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6617 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 04:46 (GMT -5)

And Drakelings spit Acid! A great help at lower levels as long as one has enough food.
My last drakeling mindcrafter spit even Rehetep and all his friends dead. (She died later cursed and doomed in the Dark Forge after an attempt to get a wish, though.)

I also like Trolls, because of all the funny messages.
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7290 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 05:39 (GMT -5)

Does the acid spit affect any of your stats?In the manual it says that it fatigues you.Well,besides hunger ofcourse.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/12/2003 at 05:40 (GMT -5) by Anarchy2]
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6617 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

I don't think it has any other effect besides hunger. At least I never noticed anything.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 12 hours, 31 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 16:08 (GMT -5)

No other effects. Well, being hungry all the time abuses your toughness, but you don't hafta be hungry all the time.

Drakelings are probably my favourite race :) I've played them much, though. Versatile, play well as any class. Good natural healing/mana regeneration. IMO, the best race at scumming for strength from giants. When they're eating loads of giant corpses (from a possible vault, "threatened" room, digging) vomiting comes in handy to make yourself hungry, thus sparing the corpses from rotting. Don't forget to wear that ring of weakness for a stregth of 2!

Humans are average, yes, but that means they're good at everything. Versatile, I'd say. I occasionally play them, though admittedly they could use a bit of flavour.

Have you tried elven priests? Great race/class combo. Great skills (herbalism, healing, detect item status), great armour from start (elven chain mail...) good dex for bows, mana for spellcasting, and are a bit more buff than wizards when fighting hand-to-hand. There's an elven class that isn't weak at all! Elven archers are also extremely deadly.

Trolls are useless in the new versions. You'll probably get them to level 30 in a normal game. That, and like orcs, they can die from a lucky critical hit from a ghost aging you something like 40 years. Something you don't have to worry about with elves.

Well, these are just my observations. A funny class to use with gnomes/hurthlings who lack strength is weaponsmith. They always have strength of 17-20 in the beginning, because you don't ever start your game burdened, and they have that heavy anvil with them. Bit different from those hurthling healers who sometimes start with strength of 2... Usually I stuff the anvil someplace safe in the beginning, 'cause I don't need it untill I find a forge. Then I can go get it.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/12/2003 at 16:09 (GMT -5) by J.]
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 02:05 (GMT -5)

Trolls have become useless, I must agree. Twice food consumption for WHAT? High strength until you meet your first decent level shadow. High toughness until you start fighting Wights??

I'm feeling more optimistic now, anyway. My mindcrafter has been replaced with a priest.

Elven priests with their chainmail +5 is a weak effect, I'm thinking. They don't begin with food preservation, which means it must be wished for at some point... Elven Necromancers, on the other hand, do. Its really a choice between starting chaotic and with food preservation, or starting lawful/neutral without it, but with good equipment. I prefer the skill.

Drakeling acid spit is (0.33*Level)d6 + (0.5*Level) damage - I had to dig that up :D

Also, Drakelings have the highest natural regeneration rate in the game other than trolls, and they can improve theirs with potions of trolls blood. Trolls cannot. On the other hand, they're vulnerable to cold. Being slow bites.

Dwarven fighter types are fun. Make your own weapons.

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

Oh, and for anyone who likes inconsistency stories, that priest I referred to came across a fire beetle, slightly experienced who -he could not harm with 6d5+18 damage-

The funny thing is, it couldn't harm him either. I got a message saying "The fire beetle punches through your armor and fails to hurt you"

Now it sounds like I'm making stuff up. I think my version of the game is just stuffed.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5774 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

I think your priest and the fire beetle were in a special room with strange moss covering the walls. These rooms increase PV for both you and the monsters, making it hard to do any damage.

Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

That sounds reasonable. ISTR it increases your (and the monsters' too) PV ten times or something similar.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 10:55 (GMT -5)

Um, for some reason the forum just forgot that I was logged in. During my session. So that was me. Like someone really cares.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 10:57 (GMT -5)

I do! :D

Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6528 days, 13 hours, 44 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

I think i pretty much like all the races. Except for trolls.
Humans can be fun sometimes, though normally i like other races better.
The elfs have long livespans, which is nice and i also like the dodge skill.
The dwarf is lovely as a weaponsmith, high PV.
I once liked gnomish wizards, but nowadays i play 99% of the time elves.
Hurthlings have the cooking and food pres-skills, which are very usefull.
Orcs can be good assasins, but i don't play many orcs.
Drakelings, well, all their pro's have been named already. I like drakelings too.

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 at 07:40 (GMT -5)

A visit to the Stories Forum confirmed that everyone do indeed love elves.So basically,elves are the coolest race in ADOM.I mean,who doesn't love those pointy ears?

I know I don't. :(

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7445 days, 18 hours, 54 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

Elves are wussies and tend to get eaten by Orcs :)

Icesus
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

I don't like them, but they're good so I play them :) Back in the day when I was still playing Warhammer, my dwarves loved to cleave open elves with sharp axes. Wasn't even hard, 'cause they were so fragile :D

LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

I played the stunties in Warhammer too. My friends played elves and chaos, and although they could always -just- defeat my army, the dwarvern lords I invested points in where so near invincible with their runic weapons/armor/items etc etc that they would just casually take out whatever was left by themselves. Usually surrounded. It was fun :) I've never been a tactician, but the rune stuff was great.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5623 days, 33 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 01:23 (GMT -5)

I like gnomes. They might not seem too nice but they:

-Advance levels fairly quickly. That is good for classes that need to get levels to survive, e.g. mindcrafters
-Have pick pockets as standard. Yes, I know getting pick pockets is relatively easy, but then it starts at 1 and you can hardly steal anything for a fair while
-Have ventriloquism. It might not sound very useful but when facing a kitty it can be useful to avoid killing it
-Have relatively long life span so aging attacks are not too troublesome

Besides, gemology has its uses. Gems can be sacced (gnomish deities prefer gems) or sold at nice price. Besides, crystals of knowledge/health/power are useful.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6528 days, 13 hours, 44 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

I also like gnomes, i think gnomish wizard are my favourite race/class combo.
But for the moment io'm concentrating on elves because i like their long lifespan.
So I'm gonna start a dark elven wizard in a couple of minutes, let's hope he'll do fine.

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: