Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Vaults

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6528 days, 20 hours, 46 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

I just found out how great they are.
Just foiund one at D:2 that gave my wizard something like 15 spellbooks. Really cool.
Best of all, it were all goblin (normal hob- and leaders). And i was able to melee them all, even though playing wizard. Got my polearms skill up 3 levels and my shield skill up 1 level. Just too cool.
Well, just needed to share that with somebody :D

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

Forgot to mention that i now constantly need strength of atlas to keep all my stuff, that's how much i found :D
I love this char. It already started well, killing hotzenplotz, rescuing the puppy, saving the mad carpenter.
Got a amulet of rapid healing too, that should be able to save my life some times :D

Klavert
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 13:57 (GMT -5)

I can't believe the luck.
Found an artifact, the skullcrusher. On D:5, this is my first artifect, except for the SI. Well, i also found the moon sickle once, but that one isn't too nice.
I found it in a vault with gnolls, large gnolls and hyena's. So at least this post is a bit more related to the title, vaults are great.
My wizard is lvl 11 now, not the highest level i ever reached (i reckon that is level 17), but i think this is probably the best char i ever had.
Can't believe the things i found. I just love this game.
One day it is big sorrow, but sometimes you're just extremely lucky :D

Klavert
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 19 hours, 32 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

Don't worry, you'll end up dead in no time. The RNG will get you for that awesome luck.

I can't complain, my recent orcish barb got an altar on PC:6. Not too hard to get (pre)crownings with a whole vault, a tension room and a cavernous level above full of monsters.

Just to make it sure, you are casting strength of atlas from the book, aren't you? That way you won't run out of castings.

BTW, the moon sickle is guaranteed somewhere below dwarftown. It's always guarded by a stone golem.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/18/2003 at 14:31 (GMT -5) by J.]
jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

Please can someone tell me what "D:2" means? I know what is "PC:6" but this... not jokeing...
Is there any way to increase the chance of finding a (greater) vault? (I´ve heard something about scrolls of danger, dunno)
I don´t find them often, anyway.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5623 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 06:24 (GMT -5)

jendal: D:2 means the second level of the main dungeon (the one with dwarftown). As for increasing the probability of finding vaults I very much doubt scrolls of danger help. AFAIK they only affect the danger level of the current level and vaults are only created when you enter the level so...

AFAIK there is a certain birth effect that increases the probability of special dungeon features. I can't remember what it was, though...

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

No, i wasn't casting it from the book, but from now on i will.
I wasn'; t really worried about running out of castings yet, because i've got 2 books :D

But some bad luck could finish them, so casting from the book and having it learned might be the best solution.
I'll do that from now on :D

Klavert
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

Hmm, just while posting this thing i stepped on a water trap and lost one of my books of knock and one of my strength of atlas :|

Klavert
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 07:58 (GMT -5)

Died.
Within 2 seconds :( Encountered a yellow V, well, that was it. Hope my next char will also be lucky.

Klavert
jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

Real J.: Yeah, that´s what I thought - vaults are generated when you enter the level so reading scrolls of danger doesn´t affect it... so how about increasing the probability? Beeing doomed? Heh? I thought there is some way.
I am lvl 18 now with high elf ranger (HP 200+). But am not lucky with steel golems... is it too early to go to the DF at this level?
Dunno what else to do...
Warlord -notlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Well, go and try, but be sure to be able to outrun the darn things if you do! Lost a char there as I entered the level before DF and the darn staircse was in the next room with the guardian. Tried to smack it around a bit, no good, then tried running, no good and I could't even get out from there. Darn things...
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

Most probably you'll get your ass whooped quite badly. That's quite low for a high elf ranger, 'cause you're not really all that buff and probably will have trouble hurting them. Also be sure to have lots of fire resistance and a fireproof blanket to pretect your stuff.

My guess :)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/19/2003 at 15:47 (GMT -5) by J.]
jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 at 02:07 (GMT -5)

Died.
In DH there was a room with mimics - I had already killed up half of them before but when I returned there and 2 greater ones appeared...I didn´t get out off paralyzation to beat them.... well, I had a "coward" tactics though!
Very annoyed now, dunno what character I should pick up next time. This last game took me almost 3 days of nonstop playing (95 days in the game). And that seems somewhat too much to me. Fuck.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7446 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Lol, the abandoned shop, right? I remember the first time finding one.. just run straight to the "items" just to find myself surrounded by mimic hiveminds etc.. :P

Icesus
jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

The abandoned shop? I didn´t know about it.
But this wasn´t the first time I found one, and as I wrote I had already half of the shop cleaned up.
BTW, I had 2 amulets of free action in the backpack but I trusted myself too much...
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 at 07:49 (GMT -5)

NEVER trust yourself too much when facing such situations. If you are facing an abandoned shop and you have amulet of free action remember to wear it. Otherwise you WILL be paralysed.

And don't forget mimic officers can be quite nasty even if you have free action. I once lost a character to a mimic room (one higher ranking mimic hit too hard) even though I had free action.

the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 at 07:57 (GMT -5)

I think that being lucky helps get vaults generated. I got the bracers of war for precrowning last game, and with blessed ring of luck and Ankh I got 4 of the huge artifact vaults. Two of them were undead, so I left em alone, but otherwise sweet.

Vaults are a good thing, so being cursed wouldnt generate them. Also, I always get more vaults going through the uninteresting dungeon when I have gotten fate smiles from an altar.
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5596 days, 17 hours, 10 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 at 11:21 (GMT -5)

I was reading on rgra that the location of vaults is decided upon character generation. So being doomed cursd lucky or whatever would not have any effect on the number of vaults generated. The random number seed for that game is used to generate all special features in the game such as pools, altars, forges etc right at the start.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5035 days, 3 hours, 35 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 04:51 (GMT -5)

i think that you can shoot arrows over items to check if they're mimics, yeah? better than spells cuz doesnt destroy the item taht way.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 06:37 (GMT -5)

OT: concerning finding artifacts. BDC is also a good place to find artifacts. My gnomish wizard has found e.g. Far Slayer, Soaker and Staff of archmagi there. And with magic missile at level 65-something those big blue lizards drop like (big) flies.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

Magic missile also doesn't destroy any of those heaps of items dragons tend to drop. The best spell ever.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7446 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 12:58 (GMT -5)

But in the dragon vaults it the dragons themselves that "breathe" all the nice items away.. It takes some retreating and corner-fighting to get most of the stuff unburnt/shattered. Scrolls and potions seem to get wasted first...

Icesus
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5775 days, 6 hours, 13 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

Being invisible helps a lot, because only the ancient dragons and wyrms can see invisible.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: