Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / A few questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Galaxy
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 19:10 (GMT -5)

I'm new to this whole game, and it's eating up my life :P
Can somebody please help? Thanks!

1) Is there a sure place to go, to get an item (scroll) or a way to uncurse an item?
2) If I can't see that museum store place on the first level of CoC.. what does that mean?
3) How do i get the teleporter activated? I'm supposed to read something, and give it money.. right? Where is that something i have to read.

Thanks!
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6515 days, 13 hours, 38 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

1-Nope.... Well, one of the quests from the Ancient Dwarf might give you it, or Khelly. Not sure.
2-Me knows nothing about this.
3-Either I am remarkably tired today, or I don't know what you mean... Are you talking about the Dull Cave?

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Aggie
Registered user

Last page view:

7429 days, 18 hours, 47 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 19:56 (GMT -5)

teleporter to that takes to what ever shop i want..
doesn't something like that exist? lol

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/1/2003 at 19:56 (GMT -5) by Aggie]
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

Nope. Unless I took too many drugs today and fried the ADOM part of my brain, I do not believe something like that exists in the current state of ADOM.

"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

7406 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 20:07 (GMT -5)

1)Either read with the "r" key scrolls of uncursing and select the item that you want to uncurse but I recommend dipping with the "!" key the item into potions of holy water which makes them blessed.

Spoiler

(You can get these by placing potions of water on the altar of your alignment White=Lawful or L, Grey=Neutral and Black=Caotic or C) p.s Potions of holy water can bless non-cursed items

2)There is no museum in the CoC however this is a store in Dwarftown located about D:10-D:15.

3)There is no such thing as a teleporter however there are teleportation traps which are green "^" signs which teleport you to a random place is that what you meant?

Spoiler

You can teleport 1 of 4 ways.
.Zap a wand of Teleportation by using the "z" key
.Read a Spellbook of Teleportation than cast it using the "Esc" key
.Step on a Teleportation trap the press C-t which activates the trap on your current position
.Read a random Spellbook with a low Literacy skill level so it Teleports you(Reason unknown)

"Such is life" - Ned Kelly

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 12/1/2003 at 20:16 (GMT -5) by Chris]
Aggie
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 20:08 (GMT -5)

Ah.. im sick - so must be imagining things.
Do hallucinations come with a fever?
Aggie
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

Thanks - and, one last thing (for now :P), is there a book store out there (guaranteed place) that sells only books/scrolls?
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 20:11 (GMT -5)

No, but there is the Library, which doesn't sell books, but you can take them from there. If you play as a wizard, you can get all the spellbooks in the game.

Other than that, non-guaranteed stores carry books/scrolls sometimes.

Aggie
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

I am playing as a wizard. Where is this library?
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

Big Spoiler space. Sorry.

Spoiler
The Library is located in the Rift.
*grabs stuff from the ADOM GB*

The Rift is a wilderness location found in the northwestern mountains, southeast of the dungeon containing the Tomb of the High Kings. The PC must meet several requirements in order to enter it. A climbing set is required (although ADOM 1.0.0 and g16p2, at least, have a bug which causes this to be ignored) and the Climbing skill must be at 100. The PC must be at least experience level 18. If the experience level requirement is not met, the game responds with: "You do not feel experienced enough for this daunting task." Willpower must be at least 20 OR Perception must be less than six.
If all these requirements are met, the PC will still most likely fall on the way down the Rift, destroying some equipment in the process. Falling can be avoided by having the extremely thin and nimble AND the very light corruptions. This needs further testing. It may be that only the very light corruption is required, as per the fortune cookie message "Being light as a feather makes you very rifty." Alternatively, it may be that only hurthlings can avoid falling with only one of these corruptions, similar to the entrance requirements for the Quickling Tree. There are reportedly 27 luck checks on the way down, whatever that actually means. Being burdened or strained is probably not a good idea. A level 50 PC, not cursed or doomed, with intrinsic Lucky and Fate Smiles, wearing the ankh and the Ring of the Master Cat, unburdened, but without the requisite corruptions, still fell. It is not possible to bring artifacts only into the Rift, since a climbing set (and probably food, although enough *might* be found) is required. Therefore, it is a good idea to store the PC's extremely valuable items, such as scrolls of chaos resistance, in a safe place before entering the Rift. It is also a good idea to bring every bit of junk, such as missiles that do not stack, low quality armor and weapons, scrolls of ill fate, cure blindness and the like, low quality amulets, etc. along. These items are fodder for the RNG, which hopefully will destroy them rather than valuable equipment. Do not be too conservative and leave *all* good equipment behind, because the monsters in the Rift dungeon and especially the Sinister Library of Niltrias can be *very* nasty. Hopefully by this point, the PC has some decent artifact armor and weapons. A corollary is not to rush into the Rift too soon.

It is not necessary to visit the Rift dungeon or the Sinister Library of Niltrias to complete the game, and many who play non-spellcasters completely ignore it.

The whole point of entering the Rift is to gain access to the Sinister Library of Niltrias.

Wizards who visit the Library will find every spellbook available in the game, including Wish. Necromancers, for instance, will not. Necromancers find scrolls in the two large rooms and spellbooks in the small northeast room and the hidden passageway. The exact details of what class finds Spellbooks vs scrolls is being investigated. Spellbooks can be destroyed while in the Library (by blue dragons, for example), so be careful with rare spellbooks.

Equipment may be destroyed while in the Library, so it is prudent to leave the climbing set where it is until the PC is finished with the rest of the Library. There will be monster guardians found on top of every spellbook or scroll. These monsters can be anything and are uniformly dangerous. On a recent trip through the Library, a master lich, ancient dragons, a quickling lord, a frost giant jarl, a stone giant lord, a moloch and a mimic hivemind were found among others. It is wise to bring dragon slaying ammo in case an ancient karmic dragon is generated. Likewise, demon slaying ammo or phase daggers are very nice to have in case a (greater) moloch is generated.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/1/2003 at 20:51 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 19 hours, 49 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

If you have a huge amount of questions, like new players usually do, and don't mind getting spoiled, visit the adom guidebook at http://www.andywlms.com/adom/ , though I must warn you, on that page is pretty much everything and anything known about ADOM, and I guarantee you, you will get more enjoyment out of the game if you don't read the whole thing.

Though, when you're completely stuck, it's pretty much guaranteed that the GB has the info you need.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/2/2003 at 07:31 (GMT -5) by J.]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

I kinda remember some version of the guide or something else to introduce the D.chain and adom in the way of "teleporting"(links) to go through shops and the first (?) being the first level of CoC. That's just the guide or whatever it was, not the game.
Or then I'm completely wrong and my memory finaly failing...
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5775 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

Do you mean the Drakalor Chain Board of Tourism? That has a hint-through where you can "walk" through the whole game by clicking links. It's very out of date and rather focussed on roleplaying, though (e.g. chaotics are advised to kill Yriggs).
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

It might have been.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: