Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Pick axe

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Riibu
Registered user
Corrupted Cheater

Last page view:

6438 days, 16 hours, 10 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

I just got a strange pick axe.. or, I don't actually know if it's weird, but I certainly haven't seen one named like that before. And the ADOM guide book don't mention it either.

I'm talking about MASTERWORK pick axe. Is it special, or anything? Just an interesting prefix? Seems odd to me, for now.

*lurkin'*
JaskaLightning
Registered user
Greater Musician

Last page view:

7341 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 at 14:20 (GMT -5)

It's just weapon prefix. It gives something like...

Spoiler
+3 to hit.

nice pick axe =)

I have pick axe of defense. very usefull??? :)

My only tool :
Blessed Ancient Guitar "Washburn" {Wi+15} (+200 spd)

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 12/8/2003 at 14:25 (GMT -5) by JaskaLightning]
Riibu [nl]
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

Okay, very cool. Thanks :).
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

3283 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 at 22:56 (GMT -5)

Is it possible to get pickaxes of *anything*? Like, a poisonous pickaxe of damnation?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/15/2004 at 17:22 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5622 days, 5 hours, 25 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 00:57 (GMT -5)

Bezrend: I guess it is. While developing my wannabe-archmage I have come upon various kinds of pick-axes, including (IIRC) pick-axes of devastation. So I guess any pre/suffix is possible for pick-axe

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

Yes, I think so, I've had picks of devastation etc..
Riibu [nl]
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 01:32 (GMT -5)

Never had a pick axe with pre/suffix before. I wanted it to be special. Special would have been soooo good. Who can blame me?

And yes, I know. The guidebook is there for me.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5672 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

If I were a mod, I'd give him a banana...

My guess is that pick axes are weapons(though you can use them as a tool) and as such can get the different kinds of weapon prefixes. Guess this was already said by many of you, but...
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

367 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 19:36 (GMT -5)

J:

At which state will you concider your char a real Archmage and not just a wannabie?

That Magic Missile of yours makes me want to think he already is =)
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

Marillion: I consider the char to be an archmage once he has unlimited wishes. That is, able to cast wish from book.

About magic missile: That's old information, the current rating is 112. And death ray at 30 something, fireball at 50+, fire bolt at around same as if frost bolt. And most spells are at the maximum number of castings (30000) with a huge pile of spellbooks stored away. True, that is impressive, but until the char is able to cast wish from book I don't consider him to be a true archmage.

Oh, and most stats are at 99 (IIRC appearance dropped to 89 from accidentally casting wish but I have already got it back to around 97). And at berserk wielding the twins DV/PV is something like 64/104, with speed being around 340.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2003 at 01:04 (GMT -5) by The Real J.]
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

I don't want to turn this into a flame war, but some of your other post involve questions like "How do you throw potions" and not knowing that you can dip uncursed items into holy water... you don't sound like much of an experienced player to me. In fact, I'd go so far as to call you a... "noob", is it? Clever word. And what's more, you insult a player who asks a far smarter question than "can weaponsmiths change the metal a weapon is made out of".

Also, a comment on your cheating posts(which are in the wrong forum)... one that everyone knows already, and two that don't work? Nice.

Like I said, I'm not gonna start something, so this is the last post I'm making on the subject(unless you want to take it up in the General forum), but I really think you were out of line there.

Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 06:20 (GMT -5)

My god, that's an awesome mage.

Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

J.

Now thats an intresting thought.
How long have you played it?

And if I may borrow this thread for a few questions..

1.What are the terms in order to be able to learn Wish without dying from starvation?

2.And in what ways, besides corpses, that can PP be increasted if all stats are 99 and @lv50?

And I assume that casting from book doen't drain stats right?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2003 at 07:55 (GMT -5) by Marillion]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3125 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 08:40 (GMT -5)

Well Chris, J. just asked to ban you, and Iridia will propably do that - now go to your room troll and rethink your life.
"Experienced ADOM players" don't bother talking to flaming trolls.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

Marillion: You mean game time or real time ? Game time is currently over 2 years, can't remember the exact time though. Real time... well, can't say for sure but I'd guess couple of weeks on and off (being full time I don't have much time daily, except for weekends).

As for your questions (probably spoily):

Spoiler

1. First I ate so that the char was bloated, then I drank LOTS of satiating potions (extra healing and berzio, IIRC). The char was actually so much overbloated then that even after learning wish it STILL took a LOOOONG time to get unbloated.

2. Ogre magi corpses and kobold shaman corpses sometimes raise max PP, though rarely. And these monsters aren't exactly common. My main way of raising max PP is draining wands with the mana battery corruption. Each uncursed wand raises max PP by one and each blessed by 2. And since wands can be then recharged and drained again it is potentially an unlimited way of raising max PP as long there are means of charging them (!oBooze/mana/boost mana or scrolls of charging). I have also used some wishes on "power" (from RoDS and WoWi). Roaming the BDC I find them every now and then.

As for stat drain casting from book, I don't know, haven't yet had the chance to try it. Currently casting Wish from book would take some 16000 PP, a lot more than I have (having "only" about 3200 PP ATM).

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5774 days, 4 hours, 4 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

Maelstrom, I'm afraid that Iridia and I do not have the power to ban users, only to edit or delete other people's posts and to close or delete threads.

Chris: as a moderator, I have to ask you to refrain from flaming people just because they're newbies, please. Every ADOM player was a newbie once, and a lot of them (including me) started posting to these forums as newbies, and got better at ADOM in part because of the help of other forum posters. It's OK to point out that the Guidebook has a wealth of information, but swearing at them and insulting them might discourage someone who could become a valuable contributor.
Riibu [nl]
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

At least I can say for sure that trolls like him never bother me. They flame everyone. It isn't personal, really.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7444 days, 23 hours, 46 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 11:21 (GMT -5)

to the Real J:

Wow, your plan is so crazy that it might even work. I've never casted the Wish spell, but I got it once as an bard. They receive random spells at some lvl as an class power. My combined HP+PP were "only" 4000 so I didn't even try to cast it.

A little tip for your crazy task, u prolly knew it already, but someone else might not, so I tell it anyway. Wearing some armour w/ the suffix "of power" gives +20% more PP, so w/ 1000PP u get it raised to 1200 and so on. Might ease the task a bit.

And about bloating yer char, the best potions are toughness related ones: potion of toughness, potion of potential toughness and boost toughness. They get u easily so boosted that u can actually read the book quite easily. Except w/ teleportisis instrinct :)

PS. U need to change yer title from nameless swordsman to "near-omnipotent mage" or sht! :D

Icesus
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

By the coolness of this I felt compelled to do a little sacescummingresearch to see if it is worth all the work.

And the result...

Spoiler

After using a WoW with many charges I built up my lv20 wizard to Ma:99 and PP: 8733
At this state casting from the book costed all PP and 133 HP.
I had no PP increasing talents or equipment.

Sadly enough, it proved to drain random stat by 10 just as casting from memory. :(

Anyway, after gaining this archmage status, one could wish for 99 !oGA just to keep in stock, and then wish for as many things he'd like.
Though it would take a lot of background corruption to regain the lost PP each time :(
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5672 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

Spoily additional information Marillion didn't probably think of:

Spoiler
J.'s mage already closed the gate a long time ago, so he's not getting any background corruption. Eases the tremendous scumming you have to do quite a bit. Would be fun though to toy with Andy with a char so powerful he can bookcast wish!
BTW, great job J. on what you've done with your mage. I probably wouldn't have the patience for that kind of scumming.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Riibu [nl]
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

*cough*
.... how wonderfully OT :p.
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

7405 days, 6 hours, 19 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 19:17 (GMT -5)

I guess eveyone was a noob once and I have asked noob questions before as Bezrend pointed out and as long as no-one flames me I won't flame back ok. I've been playing for just over 2 years game time and 3 weeks real time and now I've visited every town except the SIL where Malakai reides and I'm not goin to bother with the Filk quest cos I'm a champion of Order right i'm up to Kelly and trying to either get wish or find a Amulet of Life Saving.
"Such is life" - Ned Kelly
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6729 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 at 08:52 (GMT -5)

A char of mine had a flaming pick axe, and a pick axe of vampirism.
It'd be cool, if you had a pick axe of ice (or frost, whatever) and while in the ToEF it'd take less time to hack through the stone due to the temperature differences. Farfetch'd, but it'd be nice.

And my point was...
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3906 days, 20 hours, 44 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 04:43 (GMT -5)

Marillion

Spoiler
I think that the easiest way of reading a spellbook of wish is to remove all your artifacts, eat until bloated wait until satiated and then eat a blessed stomafillia herb

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2004 at 04:44 (GMT -5) by Morio]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 08:26 (GMT -5)

Morio: That would be one way, but I still think my way is more reliable:

Spoiler

One can use satiating potions or scrolls of satiation even if bloated to get heavily overbloated. My char drank lots of !oEH and read several scrolls of satiation before attempting to read wish. Result: *THREE* consecutive successful reads of Wish book and a LONG time even after that before going unbloated. I wasn't in a rich smelling room and I was wearing several artifacts. IIRC I was also wearing invisibility cloak.

J.

Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7016 days, 9 hours, 28 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 11:01 (GMT -5)

I wonder if a pick-ax will have a bonus attack on stone giants.

If you had the gem skill, it would be neat if you kill a stone giant with a pick-ax and a gem pops out.

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 at 22:51 (GMT -5)

I got a pickaxe of mayhem once, I sold all my other pickaxes and only kept that one, which was a mistake. It broke, so I brought it to Glod, and because it was special he wanted 30000 gold to fix it.

To the guy with the archmage: Maybe next time you make somebody that powerful you should get the great book caster talent first...
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

Some guy: No can do. There are no talents in 1.0.0 and I won't play that unplayable piece of crap 1.1.x anymore. The übermonsters bug coupled with the berferking monsters bug make it completely unplayable IMHO.

The great book caster would help a lot but scumming the BDC (like I did) in 1.1.x would be a recipe for suicide. Even in 1.0.0 the dragons get insanely powerful once one has killed 5000+ of them. In 1.1.x... I guess one such ancient blue dragon would easily slaughter Andy without even breaking sweat. No, let's change it. One such ABD would probably slaughter an army of Andies.

J.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: