Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / looking for a mentor

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

KoRnDogG
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

Ok, I need somone to teach me how to program a game like ADOM. Not as big as adom of course, just teach me the basics and I can figure it out from there. I want to make it so the men are key symbols like the ones in ADOM. I guess i basicly want to create an ADOM clone, but with hardly anything about ADOM in it. I already have all the races/classess I want in it figureed out (there are more than 15 races and more than 25 classess). So, if you are intrested, e-mail me at KoRn_DogG9090@hotmail.com but post here first.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5031 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 at 00:26 (GMT -5)

before i found adom, i was thinking of doing something similar, using qbasic. but now i found the game and thought "why bother create my own?"

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
KoRnDogG
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at 20:03 (GMT -5)

Becuase with your own game you can create somthing YOU made and make it so it fits YOUR needs, like me, I want to make a game with waaaaaaaay more races/classes, buildings, quests and stuff, and I believe I can do that because I am 14 the only thing I have is school, and I can spend approx 7-10 hours a day developing my game and completely make ADOM useless to me but this game will be so much better, I will not have to play somone elses game, I can make this one according to my own likes and dislikes.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

i'll add you to my msn and i'd be happy to teach you a bit of qbasic then :P
i live in china, so that's singapore/malaysia time zone, or slightly earlier than australia/japan. my hols are just about to start so i should have loads of time.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7287 days, 20 hours, 53 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 at 03:38 (GMT -5)

You live in Asia too,eh...lol,looks like I'm not alone!

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 13:28 (GMT -5)

lol, yeah.
though we're not exactly next door neighbors ;)

korn dog? haven't seen you online yet, lol

KoRnDogG
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

I can't get on my msn till monday, I use public access internet, but you can send me a tutorial of the basics if you like to the e-mail address specified in my first post, qbasic isn't what I had in mind but it will probably do.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 01:53 (GMT -5)

how much programming do you know?

tell you what, i'll tell you how to do the basics (thinking about graphics right now, and how to move around, etc) and as we progress and you have specific questions, just ask.

been a while since i've done qbasic, and i'm not all that good at it either. i'm gonna go play around with it now and see if i can figure out how to save stuff, lol

Rogue-Like Crazy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

Hello, ye wanna create your own adom? then go to google and write Qhack. It is a simple roguelike game what you can edit. Have Fun guys! Asia eh? well i live in finland ^^

Please answer that poll^^
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 at 00:40 (GMT -5)

we're gonna try to create one from scratch. well, not 'we', i'm just gonna try to answer his questions on programming, lol

KoRnDogG
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 at 22:26 (GMT -5)

roguelike crazy, I know nothing about C, therefore I cannot edit qhack, BUT, i do have a copy on my computer from about a month ago that i was looking at

and taz, I know the basics of c++, and visual basic
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7306 days, 21 hours, 27 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

You know Visual Basic? So do I! I'm making a roguelike in VB, too. Who isn't making a roguelike in -insert here?- I already have working map and movement code, and some (well, one) immobile monster.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 01:44 (GMT -5)

i gave it a shot a long time ago, back when i was in high school and had plenty of time ;)

yeah, i got the movement code pretty easy (made a simple snake game, and a few other very stupid games). this all in qbasic. i just need to figure out how to save stuff. i asked my comp teacher and he told me. i forgot what he said cuz he didn't explain very well.

teh part about the character stats should be easy, but the balancing that is hard.

korndog, about the classes and races, i think that the classes are not detailed enough (and osme of them are not proper classes eitehr), and that some of the races will end up almost identical in the end. anyway, i'll reply in more detail later. (note: this is your game, feel free to ignore any advice you dont like ;)

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 01:52 (GMT -5)

QBasic!OMG!I remember the days when I laid my hands on the system...it was beautiful.

(sadly,my skills haven't improved at all. :D)

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 02:45 (GMT -5)

it IS beautiful, isn't it? :P
been a loooong time since i touched it though.

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

I know I have QBasic here somewhere... *rummages the files*

KoRnDogG
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 at 20:08 (GMT -5)

My game is currently almost out of the "planning" stage, yay!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: