Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / This is a serious problem

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

honza l.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

I have bought a new computer - very fast. And that is the problem. You may say I am a nut but the incredible speed is bad for playing Adom... killing karmic lizards, activating traps and such mistakes are now more frequent... does anyone understand?
I use DOS version under Win98.
How to slow down the game? :-)
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7289 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

Umm.Slow down?I thought ADOM is turn-based.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
honza l.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

Yes, it is. But you obviously didn´t understand me.
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7289 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 at 05:41 (GMT -5)

Eh.Fine.I'm not that good at technical problems,either,so sorry,I can't help you.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5033 days, 5 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 at 23:24 (GMT -5)

i know what you mean. press 'w' '6' and it's like instant teleport, except that you spend turns. it's harder to control, yeah? no idea how to slow it down.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
honza l.
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 at 00:24 (GMT -5)

yeah, i am glad that you got me. That is the problem. It is a detail, but it is.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

i guess you could play more carefully :P
also, the 'w' function only works when there're no hostile monsters, yeah? as for stepping on traps, i guess you just need to be more thorough when you read the text.
btw, does the game load faster in your new comp?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
honza l.
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

well, I could play more carefully.

I thought somebody would understand my situation -- when you hurry to the better tomorrows, you make mistakes, and with such fast computer you do them more.

btw. , it loads faster. Everything is like a wink.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 at 12:01 (GMT -5)

faster computers allow for faster mistakes :P

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5671 days, 21 hours, 37 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 at 08:03 (GMT -5)

You could change your keyboard settings in the control panel, so that the delays would be bigger. There's that base_delay_factor setting in adom(read the manual for that). Then there's Mo'Slo, a program to slow down your computer, you could google for it.

I've the w commands as "instant teleport", but I have no other problems. Is your game fast in the sense that it's hard to just move one square when pressing a key? Or do you have a habit of walking around keeping a key pressed down? That's bad.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

yes, that's very bad. especially with my computer, cuz when if i try that, the character keeps moving for another 10 steps when i take my finger off the key.

honza l.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

Thanx to all suggestions. And to J.:
1. Yeah, sometimes it's hard to just move one square when pressing a key. But it is not the main prob.
2. moving with a key pressed down I use just in some special situations - e.g. I am running away beeng chased by a cat or so - and only, as I said, when I hurry up or I am not fully concentrated... When I had slower machine I had no problems with this.

I've the w commands as "instant teleport". That is O.K.
stevehzo1
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at 02:37 (GMT -5)

if this is the worst problem you are having, DEAL with it.
you have to learn when its ok to RUN[hold a key]
and when not to, geez im on a p4 but im used to playing the original "rogueŽ" and the only problem ive had is karmic things, you ALWAYS get a warning, or at worst 1 notice the that was not a good idea.
once you get used to it its no problem, just play carefuly....

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: