Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / increasing skills

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5025 days, 15 hours, 33 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 at 05:42 (GMT -5)

how do i increase how much i can increase a skill by when i gain a level?
eg: (i'm typing this off my head, so the format may not be exactly right)
Healing 58 (98) (+2d4)
where 58 is my current, 98 is my max, and +2d4 is how much i can increase it by in one go. how do i increase +2d4 and 98? i THINK that training a skill first raises the maximum limit to 100, and then increases your current skill level by +2d4. is this correct?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

7396 days, 20 hours and 27 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

Yea it's right but sometimes that happens to me like I'll try to increase something(whichever skill that might be) and it'll stop at 99 ah well that's ADOM for ya anyway you can increase your leveling up ability when you increase your learning like usually when you go up a level you can increase 3-5 skills but with a Le lv of 99 you increse 20 skills.
"Such is life" - Ned Kelly
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 at 03:17 (GMT -5)

yep, that's in the GB too, i think. or maybe somewhere else, don't know where i read it. that's a good use for potions of boost learning if you keep close track of your xp.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 8 hours, 5 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

Training skills and potential increases is just like training stats - use the skill as often as possible, and it will increase, and the increasing dice will increase. The max increase depends on learining, the skill value and the dice, so train, to increase it.
To increase healing, get wounded, and wait until healed. My barbarians don't train in healing at all (no increase), but healing a couple hundred hps in a few days trains "Healing" by large amounts (the increases are often +22).
If a skill is passive (it "uses" itself automaticly, like healing), then just do what triggest the skill.
Here's how I train the most usefull skills:
Literacy - read a lot of scrolls, the "wierd message", ratling phamphets (the rebel near the arena gives them if you haven't fought in the arena yet) and the 2 scrolls in the SMC are great for this, read them a lot of times, to train your literacy
Healing - described above, just get injured
Listening - spiders and their webs are great for this, lots of noises to hear, when monsters rip though the webs, and spiders make them. Just wait, and listen.
Herbalism - pick herbs. It trains the skill really nice.
Pick pockets, disarm traps, detect traps - use them everywhere you can, on every target. Every trap you find and disarm trains 2 skills, every humanoid monster is a target for training your skills as a thief.
Find Weakness - it trains itself just nice after 50, so increase it a couple of times, and leave it. The same with Stealth, Two Weapon Combat and Backstabbing (only backstabbing trains itself even from very low levels, just get stealth over 70 or invisibility, and your backstabbing will go up to 100 so fast, you won't even notice)
Tactics - just use tactic settings. Fighting as a berserker trains it just fine.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 14 hours, 59 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 10:28 (GMT -5)

What are potion of potential ...?
Does that mean that your ... is increased by one for a short time or it means that there is a chance for it to be permanently increased?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

Potion of potential <stat> increases the stat potential.
If you use the 'B' command, you'll see how are your stats, and how high is the potential.
Statistics that reached their potentials will not increase naturally any longer, and you will need 3 times the herbs and twice the time to increase them (2xthe herbs to train the potential, wait until it increases, and then train the stat).
Sam goes for training with the dwarven trainer.

Not much use for those potions, it's not that important, but potions of potential mana can recharge wands if they are dipped into them, and potions of potential toughness usually bloat (important if you want to learn the Wish spell, you can drink those when bloated, and increase your satation level, so you won't starve while reading the book).

A realist sees a train.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 7 hours, 30 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 17:59 (GMT -5)

Actually you only need 2 times the herbs for the stat to grow 1 point, 1*dosage for the potential to increase, then 1*doseage for the stat to increase. Dexterity as an example: 2 moss for the stat potential to grow, after that use 2 moss for the stat to grow.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 at 19:36 (GMT -5)

do we have to keep changing tactics for it to increase?

Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6665 days, 41 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 at 22:56 (GMT -5)

AFAIK tactics doesn't affect any skills (well, maybe tactics).

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 at 09:50 (GMT -5)

That's what he's talking about...

No Taz. The more extreme tactic you use, the more you train (coward and Berzerker train the most, normal doesn't train at all).

A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 at 00:45 (GMT -5)

ok, now i'm just playing on berserk (when i dual wield daggers) or very aggressive (when wielding spear + shield). i love this assassin :P

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Why 'very aggressive'? You don't gain shield marks on very aggressive and berserker, only on aggresive, normal and the defensive tactics (that's why I don't use 'very aggressive' and 'very defensive').

A realist sees a train.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 7 hours, 30 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

No, you get shield marks on very aggressive, but not berserk. You don't gain melee weapon marks on very defensive or coward, but you DO earn missile weapon marks, so you can use very defensive and coward more with archers and the like.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: