Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Saving Khelavaster.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

6149 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

I'm sorry if there's already been a thread for this ...

I'd quite like to save Khelavaster (as I've done before with more fortunate characters) if at all possible, if not for the special endings then definitely for the equipment he leaves behind. I've done several infinite dungeon runs to try to find an amulet of life saving, or a ring of djinni summoning to wish for one, but I've had no luck.

I've found quite a number of potions of gain attributes, probably a hundred potions of water, and even a couple of potions of cure corruption, but neither the amulet nor the ring ever seems to turn up.

Aside from the obvious "wear the ankh, be blessed, and be lucky and have fate smile on you," can anyone suggest anything that might help? I'd like to avoid drinking from the pools in Darkforge, if that's at all possible. I've read what the guidebook has to say on the matter ...

"For only one you'll step aside and cease your faithful vigil:
The one who wears your brother's ring emblazed with Heaven's sigil."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/11/2004 at 05:11 (GMT -5) by MadTom]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5676 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

About the only thing you can do is visit all the dungeons you haven't been to yet, like maybe the TotHK, the ToEF, and if you've been to everywhere else and are powerful, you could do the rift and visit the library, powerful monsters there.

One thing you could try is pick up a fluff ball(from the gremlin cave if nowhere else), create a water trap in DH:2 and start breeding gremlins. It's a very dangerous cave so the gremlins ought to drop good items, but have some means of teleportation with you in case a greater titan or similar sneaks up on you from behind. The background corruption is also quite fast in the dwarven halls.

You should really give the pools a try. Just stash important corpses, like blink dog, fire creature, pixie if you will, in some shop to get back all intrinsics you might lose when drinking. Also stop drinking immediately when you start losing luck and getting cursed; you cannot get a wish from a pool if you're doomed.

Then there's always the "dip rings into PoEx and hope for RoDS" -trick.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/11/2004 at 05:40 (GMT -5) by J.]
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

3287 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 at 06:41 (GMT -5)

If you're a Wizard(which you always seem to be),you'll find every spellbook in the Library, including Wish. Your only problem then is having to get powerful enough to cast it, without passing Khelavaster. Which is pretty silly and a waste of time, but I SAID IT ANYWAY

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3612 days, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 at 09:44 (GMT -5)

yesterday I found in the dwarven graveyard with my lv 18 drakish priest an AoLS and a SoCR and potion of cure corruption. This char is great have to gice to ratling only to artifacts but I have problems with my age.
For the Horde!
Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

J., and Bezrend, thank you for your advice. I tried the gremlin trick on the ninth level of the infinite dungeon to avoid background corruption and got a whole heap of useful stuff, including some potions of cure corruption and gain attributes, but unfortunately no amulet.

In the end, I gave up and drank in Darkforge with Luck and Fate Smiles, wearing the ankh, on my birthday. I got annoying intrinsic invisibility and lost my death ray resistance, but I also got a wish, so I saved Khelevaster and got his equipment. A subsequent wish was used for some more scrolls of chaos resistance.

That character just won the game, too, my very first victory!

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3910 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Congratulations!
Which Race and Class did you play with
and what was your final score?
My first wictory was with female a Gnomish Wizard (Surprisingly named Morio) and she had a final score of about 14 000 000

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 08:56 (GMT -5)

Marathak, standard ending full log, plus notes.

High elven wizard, level 50. The score's on there somewhere.

By the way, what does " ... saving himself 22 times" mean? It sounds like it's saying I savescummed, which I didn't ...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2004 at 09:04 (GMT -5) by MadTom]
Marillion *u*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

It just tells how many times you saved. 22 times is not very suspecting to be a sacescummed char.

Though 2000 on the other hand would be :-)

At this time i'm playing on a computer that crasches every now and than so I think I have saved aboute 5 times already at level 12 to secure myself from craches =(
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7324 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 at 02:19 (GMT -5)

teh first time i finished the game (by scumming) id saved about 225 times or so...
My first non-backup char to win was a Drakeling Monk, who saved about 20ish times as well, and once my human barbarian finished the game "without stopping to save himself"
That was pretty cool

What do you Wish for?_
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5038 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

wow, how long did that take you? (in real time)

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

in real time, it took a LONG time, the char was a hurthling thief called J'arl, and he was like one of my first characters.
so in real time, a month or so of just playing every day, not really knowing exactly what to do
*sigh*

What do you Wish for?_
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

the human barbarian no save (his name was Orcbane after 1st kill) took like 2 days of solid play, I only stopped to eat and drink when my body started failing. didnt do much extra stuff just used a certain wand on the levers and buggered off out of the Chain.
maybe ill try doing more stuff if i try that again.
Orbane, lvl 45 human barbarian, male,
13 686 398xp, 113 571 turns, won on the 12/12/03
got 16,075,656 points
and i think he saved the puppy too

What do you Wish for?_

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 2/1/2004 at 23:40 (GMT -5) by Majin]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3768 days, 8 hours, 4 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 at 16:49 (GMT -5)

It would be fairly easy to win a game without saving--well, as easy as winning ever is--if you were wiling to keep your computer on 24/7. Since mine often is, my first win may well be one that I didn't save with, or just saved once or twice.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7020 days, 10 hours, 20 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 at 04:23 (GMT -5)

I have an idea, and I will try to implement this next time I play.

If you were to stand next to the dying sage, and if you were wearing the ankh, with a couple of blessed rings of luck, and successfuly made a potion of raw chaos with moon sickle, and dipped any amulet in the created potion...I wonder the odds of getting an AoLS?

Or am I just thinking wrong?

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3910 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 at 04:57 (GMT -5)

About not saving at all, what would you think, say or do if there was a power failure when your on D:50

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 at 05:17 (GMT -5)

I would propably physically assault my keyboard. Then the furniture, then delete Adom.
Then I would reinstall Adom, but leave it for a month.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5778 days, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 at 05:50 (GMT -5)

Achilles, messing with potions of raw chaos is extremely dangerous. They might explode, doing you a lot of damage, severely corrupting you, and potentially taking Khelavaster out with you (OK, I don't actually know whether exploding !PoRC damage adjacent monsters).

For a safer strategy, use blessed potions of exchange instead of the raw chaos. I believe you'll have a better chance at getting AoLS if you do it in DH:2 rather than next to the dying sage.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: