Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Pala gets shaken & stirred!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 13 hours, 47 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2001 at 14:44 (GMT -5)

I'm alive!! I just crashed my car. I clipped a white truck and rammed some old lady's car. I nearly got t-boned by another car. Nobody was injured but my car might be out of commission. I'm worried about the costs and all. My insurance will soar if the company files this as chargable.

I swear it wasn't my fault! ":/

I've never even had a traffic violation. :( My perfect record is gone. Well, I still haven't had a ticket yet. ^_^
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7901 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 at 09:31 (GMT -5)

Well, at least you're still alive. That's the only thing that matters right? :)

Locke Cole
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 hours, 58 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

Heh, I don't envy you...

About a year back me and a friend was on our way home when he "missed" a turn and ran off the road. Normaly running off the road is not a big deal except in this case there was nothing there except a 10 meters steep downhill full of large boulders...

"Fortunately" we hit a telephone pole in mid air (cut it clean in half), it stopped our forward momentom and we rolled sideways down the hill landig more or less on the wheels at the bottom.

The first thing I head after we had stopped was: "My dad's gonna kill me!" (we where driving his fathers new car). The car was totay trashed, but miracolously enough neither of us got as much as a bruise. Thank god for modern cars! My car would probably crapped itself around that telephone pole like a pancake.

An interesting side note was that even though the car was totaled the airbag didn't kick in, not that we needed it in this case, but I had always heard that they practicaly blow up in your face if you just brake hard... Oh well.

Hope the insurance company see things your way, though the important thing is that you are all right (fortunately my firends father felth the same way, so my friends comment after the crash was unjustified...)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2001 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

what a crash, Jan! Aren't telephone poles useful ;)))) lol
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

They can be useull at times...

That new railing (fence?) they put up to prevent anyone else from going over would have been even better though...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 6 hours, 26 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

Pal: Glad to hear you are okay.
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

Jan: *Blink* Well, yer crash was much worse. :P I'm glad you survived to accomplish all you have for us! *Sly smile*

Ahh. But seriously, I would rather have been injured than have my car damaged. I will heal. My car will take forever to recover, if it ever does. :(

How the freak am I gonna find a job now? My college is gonna suffer too. Speakin' o' which, I got my results for the second quarter back. I got a 4.0, 4.0, and a 3.0! :D
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 at 20:44 (GMT -5)

*Blink* seriosuly? Think of it like this: Your car can be replaced. You can't. If you have a crash and escape un-damaged that's a good thing. It's a major bummer to have your car trashed, but if you are going to have a crash in the first place this is one of the better outcomes...

And don't worry, even if your car is toast, I'm sure it's possible to get a job, even in USA, without a car. And once you do you can afford a new one.

Besides won't your insurance cover at least part of the cost?

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 00:55 (GMT -5)

>>Your car can be replaced. You can't.<<

*Wry grin* Everyone says this. It takes many, many people to budge my philosophies. Many times, nobody can. I don't place a very high value on life. Injury and pain don't bother me very much; I think it'd be worth the injury to save a bit o' damage to my car. Still, this is a silly thing, an imaginary setting, to pursue. I suppose I am glad I'm not injured, but what's the fun in that? :D

>>...don't worry...I'm sure it's possible to get a job...<<

Heh. I'm still cursed in that category. When I did have a car, I applied to around twenty places -- none of which have called me back, even those who said they "definitely will" hire me. Now that I can't drive, I don't think it's possible. I've learned from experience to have little faith about it.

>>...even in USA...<<

What are tryin' to say about USA? :)

>>...won't your insurance cover..?<<

I'm sure they will. Insurance has absolutely no benefit at all. Y'know why? 'Cuz my premiums will double from now on. Whatever they pay me for damage, I'll be paying back to them, and then some! I wonder who gets off on these antics. Car insurance is required too. Bleh. Still, there's a chance I can convince the company that my accident was non-chargable. So far, I haven't heard from them. I'll keep a wary eye out. Egh. I have bills to pay, no money, and no job, and no way to get to a job or college. How miserable I am. :/

On a side note, my adoptive mother is a mad, raving lunatic. She actually yelled at me for "not even trying to find a job." I'd like to know how I'm supposed to do that with no way to leave the house. *Aggravated snort*

[Edited at 01:01, Friday, August 17, 2001 by Palagran]
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

6513 days, 22 hours, 17 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 01:13 (GMT -5)

I've been trying to find a job for about 3 months now, I have a car and a college degree but that hasn't helped me any. Stuck in a s**t hole city that has no industry and am tied down so I cant leave.
Last job I had was filling in candy boxes for a non-profit organasation. and Im an engineer for <> sake. -edited so not to offend those religous ones among us

[Edited at 01:14, Friday, August 17, 2001 by Corremn]
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 03:05 (GMT -5)

lol...
but why are you worried about job so much... job isn't most important in your life, *you* are... and are all amricans like Palagran? they like their (stupid) car more than themselves? hah! cars are from the deepest pit of arse, atleast the ones who work on benzin... can't you walk even for some lousy 5 miles... or use *bike*?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 09:37 (GMT -5)

Stas, you little troll you. Don't tell me you seriosyly don't see why people want to get jobs! First of all there is the bills most people will have to deal with sooner or later, and it's always nice to have some money left over too...

As for cars: Sure a lot of people (myself included) use theyr cars way to often (I can for example easily walk to most of my friends, but it's fater to drive, so...). However there are times when it's almost a nesessity. You don't walk into town from the suburbs for example, and it's not always possible to take public transportation to where you want to go. And even if you can you can often shave off a good 30 - 60 minutes off the trib by driving yourself. I for one would ratehr get up at 7 in the morning and drive to work and getting up at 5 in the morning and taking the crowded buss to work... Sure it's possible, but if if prospective employers see it as a problem then it is a very real problem...

Anyway hope things work out ok for you Palagran.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

Jan: I think Sta is saying that a job is not more important that you, yourself. I agree with him. I once read a parable about it somewhere. Let's see if I can find it . . .
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

Think about this. I was quite struck by it.

A Philosophy for Life:
=====================

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognise that this is your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that, if everything else was lost and only they remained, would still make your life full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff." "If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that really matter.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal." "Take care of the rocks first - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand . . ."

. . . Then a student walked up to the front of the room, and proceeded to pour in a pint of beer making the jar truly full.

The moral of this tale is: No matter how full your life is, there is always room for BEER.

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 21:57 (GMT -5)

Stas:
My computer will be taken away if I don't pay the bills. The same goes for the Internet. Y'all won't see me around if that happens. :( My folks have been paying for my stuff, and I want to pay them back if I can. Sort of. It's awful to not be able to buy anything for myself, ever.

Go without a car? ... Huh? That's silly. ^_^ Here, everyone has a car. Without one, I'm like a bird with no wings. I can't get a job because the nearest place that might hire me is several miles away. If I walked everywhere, people would give me strange looks. :) Ride a bike? Like a motorcycle? Hmm. My bike, named "Ol' Blue" is a bit run-down. The tire's flat an' everything. I don't think I could ride that to college. I'd have to get up hours early, and I don't think I can ride that far anyway. It'd be fun to try though.

Jan:
Thank you. :)

Caladriel:
Thank you too. :) I've heard that before. Beer tastes like rotten, spoiled bong water in five-day-old, moldy diarrhea. I prefer liquors and shooters. My favorites are Mike's, Rick's, Smirnoff Ice, any kind of Bacardi (I'm known to some as "Bacardi Boy." Long story.), Jack Daniel's Coolers, Red Tail, and shots of pretty much anything. Woo! Don't get me started on that! That'd be a really big, fun thread! :D

[Edited at 21:58, Friday, August 17, 2001 by Palagran]
Jacknife
Registered user

Last page view:

8140 days, 51 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 23:39 (GMT -5)

Yeah, one thing that few europeans understand about america is the necessity of personal transportataion...Honestly, europe,. despite the much more convouluted road system, has a much much better transportation network...in the usa public transportation can only take you along restricted routes, at certain times of day, and is not even available in most smaller cities, let alon suburbs or small towns. the usa is also much larger than most european countries, we have a lot more space here, and thing are much more spread out. most people live several miles from the nearest grocery store...so only if you live in the center of a city (which is EXTREMELY expensive) can you hope of walking not only to your job, but to other necessary places (stores, restaurants, freinds houses, etc) as well. As for finding a job, i found that its easier to get a job if you have a job...go door to door in a strip mall until someone hires you, come back to each place several times, most employers WILL NOT hire someone who calls once, and then just sits on their arse waiting to be called back. They want people who will show continued interest, and call back two or three times. The job im in now took EIGHT phone calls, two resumes, and three months front to back to get.
Anyways, palagram: find a crappy used car to get to and from work, and mail out a lot of applications with attached resumes, once you get a job one place, you can tell people that "your looking for something better suited to your skillsets"...bosses love that line ;-)

-Peace Out, War In
-Jacknife
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2001 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

yeah, America sucks... I know, I know :)

so if there would be proper buses, or a mtro line, ywould you use them, Palagran?
Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2001 at 21:54 (GMT -5)

Hmm... I can't say. I've never seen or used public transportation (excluding the school bus as a kid). I'd have to see what it's like and how much it costs first. I imagine I would if the cost was reasonable. I'm concerned about the environment, so I'm all for carpooling, etc.

Ohh, we do have taxis, but you have to call them for them to come pick you up. That's just where I live, though. Elsewhere they roam the roads and people pick 'em up.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7780 days, 10 hours, 6 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

Tell me bout it.I stayed in America (Cinncinati to be exact)for two years.That was my first job in GE.I had sort of the same problem.jacknife is right thats the same thing i did.I bought a used Hyundai(not crappy).Well now I own a Merc S-class.And i've like repaid my parents for everythin.Dont get dettered by this slight lil drawback.I wish ihad a potion of boost willpower or somethin to give ya palagran

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 at 22:06 (GMT -5)

Aww! That's sweet. ^_^ I can't help but feel worthless. Basically I'm stuck until my adoptive father pulls me out of this mess (again), and I already owe him so much. He's paying for everything. It's so disheartening. :( The thing is, he can't afford to pull me out of it right now. All I can do is sit and wait. I suppose I could see if I can get that job at Bruno's...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: