Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / untitled sci-fi

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5657 days, 11 hours, 26 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 01:06 (GMT -5)

OOC: Wrote it in 6th period a couple days ago. Enjoy, please comment on teh OOC thread.

IC:

I stared through my faceplate at the soldier standing accross from me. We were all strapped onto the walls of our shuttle, our sonic rifles locked beside us. We couldn't move. The powered suits of armor weighed almost 1000 lbs -- all plating, waste elimination, power generation, and computer hardware. The only way to move in them was with the help of their built in servos -- which were left unpowered during the decent to save energy.

The suit standing accross from me seemed impersonal. I didn' tknow who was in it, but it didn't matter. Chances were one or both of us would be dead within seconds of the landing -- if we made it that far.

The modern D-day, I thought. And it almost fit, too -- retaking land stolen when the decendents of the Central Europeans decided to expand. All we need are the French...

My faceplate lit up suddenly. A timer started counting down in the lower right corner while a recorded video of our commander repeated our briefing above it. I chinned my mike. "These things on?"

"Yep," replied someone. "4:30 and couting to re-entry. Who's ready?" Noone answered.

Slowly our suits powered up, but we still couldn't move. We were secured quite well to protect us from being shaken loose during re-entry, or in case of enemy fire.

The shuttle began to shudder. A light flashed, alerting us that we had entered the atmosphere of the planet. The repeat breifing finished. Our suits finished powering up, too, and stood by to activate. Any moment now we would hit down, the back hatch would upen, and the attack would commence. That was if we were lucky and didn't land underwater. The suits could withstand vacuum and enemy fire, but did not take well to high pressure.

The timer hit 0 and the ship lurched as it dug a trench in the dirt. The instant it came to a rest we all fell off the walls, landin gon our feet, and our suits activated. We grabbed our rifles. The two closest the door activated their force walls, sheilding them from the front -- but dangerous to use directly behind someone else. The rest of us left ours off.

The ship shuddered and groaned as something struck it from without. The hull began to ping from personal wepons fire. The shuttle was rather large; three bays for troops angled out in three directions, each holding a dozen power-armored infantry. This was quite a bit of armor and firepower, but there was a hell of a lot outside as well.

My thoughts were interrupted as a klaxon went off. Two seconds later the hatch before us fell away and white-hot bullets flooded the cramped chamber. We acted just as trained, the first two leapt out and the next activated their force walls, then they too leapt out. I was the third row out. By the time I hit the ground two of us were already dead.

This will be hell, I thought. I sighed. "Let's do this!" I shouted over my comm as I opened fire.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

OOC: I'm just going to start using this thread to post all the stuff i come up with that's unrelated. None of it has titles. I come up with it in Gov't. my teacher's easy to tune out.

IC:

She wanders through th ewood, the maid of golden hair. She glows with beauty, and everything she touches is that much better. I follow her, entranced; she knows that I do, who I am. She flees, but slowly, tantalizing. I can do naught but follow, not even take food.

Backward glances and smiles are all I see from her. Nothing does she say. She picks an apple from a tree; it seemed the tree reached out and handed it to her. I long to be that tree, for she has touched it.

She is the beauty of nature embodied in a humna. She seems younger than I, yet far wiser, as she sings the language of the sons and daughters of the forest, of the ferns and the squirrels. The brilliance of the sun shines down through the trees, enveloping her, and leaving me in the darkness.

Dew shines on the grass as she strides through a clearing. A laugh of delight escapes her perfect lips. At last, she turns and our eyes meet. Her laughter dies, but her beautiful smile remains. My heart is stilled. I step forward, begin to walk to her, reach out to her...

Pure joy fills me. At last I shall hold her. I am nearly to her, my hand is close enough that were she to reach out she could take it, as she has taken my heart.

Bu tno. She turns away. My joy falls away, as a cloud covers the sun. She glances over her shoulder at me, then laughs -- but this is no laugh of cheer and good will. It is a cruel, wicked laugh, and it cuts through me like a sabre. She steps away, and from the shadows steps another man. He embraces her, and she him. I fall to my knees, holding out my hands to her in a last, desparate ple. But when they turn, their faces are not the same; hers no longer beautiful, his never was.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 at 21:40 (GMT -5)

OOC: More...

IC:

My love stands accross a river, so wide and deep and fast. I see her, so close and yet so far away, beyond my reach. She knows not that I love her, and I want to change that -- to cry out, to call to her and profess my love -- but the distance is so far, my voice cannot reach her. I long to build a bridge and meet her in the middle, and dance to a tune only we can hear, but i have no wood nor stone to create such a bridge from. I would swim the river and go to her, fall down on my knees and give her my heart, but the river is so fast, so wide, I fear lest I be swept away by it's current. And so here I stand, watching from afar as the light slowly fades and the sun sets, my entire beaing screaming out as I become isolated in the shadows of night, further from my love.

OOC: This one isn't really a story, and I know it sounds morbid but dont' worry, I'm not suicidal. I also know it's a dead topic (literally) and everything I say has probably been said already, but whatever.

IC:

What is death? What happens when we die? Do we go before God to be judged for our deeds, our souls? Or does time sease to have meaning and we ponder for eternity? Do we remain chained to the earth, wandering as ghosts and watching people make the same mistakes we did? Perhaps it is nothingness, the true and absolute Abyss: no thought, no feeling, no existance, nothing. When I die, what will happen to me? If i am judged, will it be by an angel of mercy, or one of suffering?

Perhaps it is as some say, and we are born again, sans all memory. If so, does that make us merely slates of chalkboard, written on and then wiped clean again to be written on again? And would not a soul with no memory of it's past, placed in a new body, be a ner person entirely? Who am I? What am I? Why am I? Was I born only to die?

OOC: This one isn't finished. Probably never will be. Whatever.

IC:

A looming obstical shadows the path, a great black shape rising before me. The bleeding sun stains the sky as it falls behind this dark monument to woe, as cluds run their fingers accross it's blood-red wake.

Evil radiates off the tower like a great chill, an aura that wards off tresspassers. It stands beside the road, slowly sinking down into the surrounding marsh. Though once it stood in a lush, green forest, it's corruption spread and quickly transformed that into a world of dead trees and stagnant water. Who knows what horrors lurk out there, awaiting any unwary traveller who might try to escape the influence of the tower by slogging through the swamp.

The tower's broken battlements and glaring gargoyles stare down wickedly on the road, watching. A deathly still falls accross the path as the sun dies away under the mists, and the cold moon shows itself, emerging from behind a cloud.

OOC: I had an idea on what to do next on that one but I can't remember it right now...

ivan.sourceforge.net

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/22/2004 at 23:50 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 at 23:48 (GMT -5)

OOC: Continuing my last story...

IC:

Its silvery light does little to lift the gloom over the road. Indeed, it seems menacing. A light mist gradually settles accross the area, blocking the innocent light of the stars, and leaving only the moon able to penetrate to the ground. Slowly, as the dieing light from the sun becomes buried by the darkness of light, the swamps seem to close in around the path, making it seem narrow, treacherous, each stone a trap, each puddle a lake, each turn a false path leading to death.

The moon climbs, bathing the grotesque visages of the stone beasts atop the tower in a ghastly glow that twists their already monsterous faces into hideous masks of terror. A gust of wind makes them howl as it finds cracks and seams, making them seem even more alive than ever.

The wind continues to whip at the dark stones, but to no avail. They have battled for years uncounted, and will continue for many, many more to come, for the air has little power over stone, especially stone as imbued with evil spirits as this.

With a sudden crash, the only iron door to the tower slams open, revealing a deeper darkness within, a place so void of light that it seems to even spill out, and drink the moonlight. The door stands there, invitingly open, wavering slightly as if beckoning all who pass by to enter, and rest, and be sheltered for the night from the elements, and the horrors of the swamp. Perhaps once this place was a safe haven for travellers. But now? Now it is a gateway to even greater horrors, horrors from which none have returned to tell the tale.

Something moves. Or does it? It is impossible to tell without any light. But no, there it is again! There is something in there. Something moving about. A piteous moan escapes the open door. The thing within moves again, and a grey, boney hand reaches out into the swamp, clutching at the bottom edge of the doorway. It seems to be something trying to pull itself free of the clutches of evil... but failing, as the door slams shut, crushing the hand. A scream rings out, cut short abruptly, and then silence falls accross the tower again. Slowly, the door falls open again, and again something moves within as the limp, smashed hand is pulled out of sight.

OOC: OK, I think i'm done. If you all like it I can keep on writing on it. This is pretty fun actually. I scared myself while i was doing the door bit, someone logged off of AIM which makes a loud slam sound like a door closing... I jumped. Yep. hehe...

ivan.sourceforge.net
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:30 (GMT -5)

OOC: more random untitled fiction poetic-type figurative stuff... eh.

IC:

I see angels all about me, so many, so bright. I see them all and watch their beauty, wishing I could be a part of it. Three catch my eye:

An angel of gold, her glittering robes falling about her, perfect golden hair falling down to perfect golden wings, frames her face, round and friendly, set with eyes like emeralds.

The silver angel, pale blue eyes in a finely crafted face; a white cloak about her as she glides by me.

Brown are the robes of the third angel; a brown that matches her eyes and yet contrasts her brilliant hair; a subdued brown, dull, and yet the beauty within is full of life and energy, radiating warmth and smiling invitingly.

Some angels dance to the music that I cannot year, laughing and giggling, while others linger a moment with other mortals. A few glance at me and smile; but none speak to me, and I dare not approace one of these superior beings. Awestruck, I simply stand and stare; I try not to, I try to force my tounge to produce the sounds that would bring an angel closer, but fear and amazement prevent me from making even the slightest noise.

And so the slowly drift away, while I stand and wait, and wish them to come back. perhaps I will meet angels again someday; perhaps I will fly with these before I am gone from them. I cannot tell. I pray I shall see.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: