Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Your first roguelike

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7350 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 at 11:23 (GMT -5)

My first roguelike was *sniffle*, Moria. I absolutely loved that game. One of the coolest things about moria I thought was the frantic running from certain monsters. Unlike in Adom, certain monsters inspired a special fear. Like Ancient Multi-hued Dragons, the Balrog, Gelotinous(that is spelled wrong I know) Cubes, emperor Lich. Ahh, what memories. I remember one of my favorite characters. A Human warrior. I had a two-handed claymore and some decent armor. Then I met an AMHD. Ow. Died to one breath. My best char was an Elvish Ranger. Knew every spell possible for a ranger. Nearly maxed out. Then disaster happened when my save file got messed. Oh well...I had almost killed the balrog once too. I never got into nethack, but angband was kinda cool. Adom is best tho. Sometimes I go back and play moria.

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7904 days, 21 hours, 26 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

My first roguelike was ADOM. Well, it was the first on my list of, as I then called them, "odd but rpgish" games to try out. So I quickly tested ADOM, Angband amd Nethack, and found ADOM being the game with the best interface, so I played it a lil more... The rest is history. :)

Locke Cole
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

6517 days, 13 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 at 22:06 (GMT -5)

Moria was probably my FIRST serious rpg game I ever played, actually I could just repeat exacly what Tekki said.
What was cool about AMHDs was that no matter how powerful you were, they could kill you in one breath.
My roguelike career is as follows

Moria->angband->alphman->ADOM->nethack->DungeonCrawl
->**ADOM**

[Edited at 22:07, Monday, August 13, 2001 by Corremn]

[Edited at 22:07, Monday, August 13, 2001 by Corremn]
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 at 23:34 (GMT -5)

yeah...it's funny tho. I like moria better than angband...and I HATE nethack. why did they have to use different ASCII characters than traditional roguelikes?

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Jacknife
Registered user

Last page view:

8143 days, 2 hours, 47 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 at 00:14 (GMT -5)

hmmm...I started playing ADOM through recommendation from a freind, have play it almost exclusively ever since. I have some old version of NetHack on my computer, but it has only seen mabey an hour or so of play.

-Peace Out, War In
-Jacknife
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 8 hours, 21 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

Rogue->Hack->Nethack->ADOM
               |
               V
             Moria
               |
               V
            Angband
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7657 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

My friend says that ADOM has taken a lot from Dungeon Hack... I'm now trying to find DH, so I could compare it and ADOM

waht is to me, mine RPG is
Moria-->ADOM-->Nethack-->Angband-->ZAngband-->DungeonCrawl-->***ADOM***

ADOM seemed best, but I tried also some other RPGs, a lot, but ADOM is still the best...

[Edited at 06:09, Thursday, August 16, 2001 by Stas]
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

fgn
Registered user

Last page view:

8078 days, 15 hours, 52 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

2 years ago I read in a newspaper about roguelikes - nethack. About a half year I was playing only Nethack. Why? Because I didn't know how to get to Terynyo or any caverns in ADOM (hahahaha LOL LOL LOL) some time later I read a manual - I've played ADOM for more than 2 year (without cheating, of course :)

"wlazł kotek na płotek spadł na pysk
złamał se dwa żebra wypadł mu dysk"
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

Stas- found a copy in under 1min of searching (world record time), included was this blurb "best described as a modern version of ASCII classic Rogue" and "great fun for those who want a quick RPG fix"
But it is a four meg download so its not for me. (canna handle that captain)

oh well, im off to Terynyo for my RPG fix.

[Edited at 01:05, Friday, August 17, 2001 by Corremn]
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 at 03:09 (GMT -5)

the address... plz give me the address, 4 megs are nothing to our school's ADSL... I (and my friends) downloaded yesterday Linux, 650 megs... in coupla hours...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 at 20:57 (GMT -5)

Sorry here you go :)
http://www.underdogs.org

Warning: This is a abandon warez site - you may be in breach of copyright laws.

Muhahahahahahahahahahahaa
Have fun - Check this for more on roguelike
http://www.theunderdogs.org/collect.php?name=Roguelike+Games

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2001 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

godl inks... I started Dungeon Hack downloading...
Lord of The Rings

Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 at 02:20 (GMT -5)

I played it, didn't do much for me. Played heaps of games like it which were better.

Kinda fun though. NOT a bit like ADOM.
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6367 days, 15 hours, 42 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 at 00:26 (GMT -5)

ADOM's my first an' only Roguelike. I don't even consider playin' anythin' else. Bucha stuff. Hey, man. Yeah. Uhh. Diablo. I quit that. Would Diablo II be worth the effort? Dunno. Maybe it's a whole buncha trouble. Stuff.

Now, I belong...
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

I say the best roguelikes are Adom and Moria(and perhaps Angband, but I still like moria better) I absolutely cannot stand Nethack.

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 at 00:50 (GMT -5)

yeah, I played it yesterday a lil' bit, and it get boring after ~10 min... :)
Lord of The Rings

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 8 hours, 21 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

Tsk. Nethack is a classic. Until you've seen a piece of luggage swinging its mace, you have not had the Rouguelike experience.
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

lol...until you've been killed by the battle-scared veteran 250 times you haven't had a frustrating roguelike experience ;)

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2001 at 04:54 (GMT -5)

yeah, I just love those "battle-scarred veteran"s :)))

BTW, Ragnarok RULEZ!!!IT is *damn* good game... click on Tekki link (underdogs.org), and download it! VERY very good game!
Lord of The Rings

Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2001 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

I tried playing this guy's project roguelike, one of the unknown finished roguelikes. it's called hero. It's graphical. anyways...I played it a few minutes, neverously combing a few hallways when suddenly a dart came out of no where(actually a goblin out of my FoV) and hit me. 43 damage. I was dead lol! No kills, no attacks, no nothing. Just death...lol, I think I might try it again. then there is another cool one I found, based on Tolkien. Called the 4th age or something. it's graphical too, and the beginning scene is awesome because a horde of wolves attack and villagers actually help you fight(intelligently too!) the wolves. I was amazed when they formed a line and began beating back the disorderly wolves. It was amazing. The villagers would have had no chance had they not banded togehter like that. Can you imagine an adom where you could fight in battles with intelligent soldiers? WHOA!

Jacknife
Registered user

Last page view:

8143 days, 2 hours, 47 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 at 22:41 (GMT -5)

Could you please find outb the name of that Tolkien one? I'd love to give it a try...

-Peace Out, War In
-Jacknife
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 at 02:07 (GMT -5)

Hmmmm... IIRC I started with Nethack (an old version, way before the 3.x). Later at one stage I played Moria a lot, then ADOM (some pre-versions), then Zangband. Currently it's mostly ADOM (1.0.0)
Lazy Cal
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Jacknife: Just use yahoo or google, and search for Angband. It does not really follow the story of The Lord of the Rings. It just has the characters and artifacts from there.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 4 hours, 54 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 at 22:33 (GMT -5)

I believe Tekki is refeering to "The 4th Age: The Lost Rings"

http://zia.kgb.cz/4thAge.htm

I seem to have some trouble getting into the site (only get the "splash screen", and some of the Czech parts, the rest just keeps loading and loading and loading and...), but I have tried it once (a gooly while ago)

It was very much in the early stages, and there was little to do except kill a few wolves outside the town (aided by the guards) and explore the start village, but it looked ok. Beeng set in the Tolkien world it has a rather limited selection of races and classes (hobits, humans, elves and dwarfs as player races, and mage, figher, ranger and thief as classes I believe (it's been a while)).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

7738 days, 5 hours, 26 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2001 at 02:44 (GMT -5)

Stas, if you want russian version of DooM2D, underdogs might have it(ya had english?).
Couse that russian version is MUCH better!
Deviant
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2001 at 21:47 (GMT -5)

My first roguelike was Omega... On my stepdad's computer. I've been playing this game on and off since i was 9, but never got anywhere.... It's fucking excellent, go to http://www.win.tue.nl/~kroisos/roguelike.html
to download it... Basically with a world map like ADOm and a HUUUUGE city you start off in, loads of guilds, items, quests, dungeons,temples, etc.
Also has a dodgy sense of humor... Couldn't believe it when I found it on the Net! I thought no one played roguelikes anymore cos I never had a permanent net connection before...
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5669 days, 2 hours, 4 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2001 at 01:41 (GMT -5)

my 1st roguelike was Nethack, couple years ago. played it off & on for a while, then i discovered ADOM. never went back. the version of Nethack I played is to ADOM what chess is to Civilization.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 22 hours, 44 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2002 at 09:42 (GMT -5)

My first roguelike was Castle of the Winds, which is a kinda crappy shareware game in which there are no races or classes or really good weapons or interesting levels, and you can save your game, which makes it kinda not a roguelike... still, it got me hooked on RPG's, till I found ADOM on the 'net--the rest of the story needn't be told, let's just say Castle of the Winds has been lying dormant in my hard drive for two years.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
RossMan4Life
Registered user
Crazy Breakdancing Robot

Last page view:

7954 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

My first, but definitly not last rogue-like is ADOM. I have been playing off and on for a couple of years and I hold it as "The best game ever made." I have one friend who agrees completly with me on this and we always try to convince others. I have played about 5 rogue-likes, and ADOM blows the others out of the water! Nethack was extremely dissapointing, I had heard a lot about it, and expected a lot more. For the question on diablo 2: If you enjoyed the first diablo even just a little bit, then you will like the second tons more. I suggest waiting for the Battle-Chest to drop down in price.

Oh the joy that has been brought to us by the mystical drink known simply as "Kool-Aid."
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5836 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 at 01:22 (GMT -5)

Ahhh !!! Castle of the winds !!!
i loved that game, someone bought it at a market once and i played it for ages... until i won twice and never played again.

Adom was my first real rogue-like and i agree it is the best game ever made. Who gives a spondle about graphics, the gameplay in adom is enormously better then any other game. Considering how old a game adom is, it's still just as enjoyable today as it would of been many years ago. When you examine the changes in adom over the years, it is obvious how finely tuned the game is. Every little nit-picky thing has been taken consideration.

If you keep in mind that adom is free and only written by one man, this is a fantastic feat of programming.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: