Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Helping with www.adom.de?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5772 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

This message was inspired by Andor's petition to TB - I'm starting a new thread so as not to hijack his. About a year ago, I had a discussion with Malte Helmert (a regular on the ADOM newsgroup) about the lack of updates to the ADOM bug database. He suggested that maybe we should ask Thomas if he could use some help on www.adom.de or ADOM development generally.

Obviously we cannot _fix_ bugs without the source code, and Thomas is the only one who can choose which RFEs are implemented, but we could weed out duplicates and things which aren't really bugs. We could also do things like checking over www.adom.de for pages which really need updating (Malte mentioned the links page as one that hadn't been updated in a while.)

Would anyone else be interested in helping with ADOM if Thomas was willing to let us? Also, would anyone who's good at diplomacy be willing to draft an email proposing this to him? I'll try to draft the email later on today if I have time (busy day at work today).
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 at 10:54 (GMT -5)

Sorry, I can't help. I'm far too young for that, I think. And I don't have any especially developed diplomatic skills and I am neither a skilled programmer.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

Mewto, I don't think your age matters. I'm not a skilled programmer either, but unless Thomas lets us look at his source code it won't matter whether we can program or not. I was thinking more in terms of Thomas giving some select trusted people the ability to close bugs as "duplicate" or "not a bug", to free up his time for fixing the real bugs.

Here's my draft email:

Dear Thomas,
We are a group of veteran ADOM players from the forums at http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/, and we have noticed that www.adom.de has not been updated for a while. We were wondering whether you could use some help, for example with weeding out junk from the bug database. Obviously we cannot actually fix bugs without access to the source code, and you are the only one who can choose which RFEs to implement, but any good ADOM player could tell when two bugs were clearly the same or when something was not a bug at all.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Eva Myers (aka Ekaterin).

If you have any suggestions for changes to the email to make it more likely to achieve its goal, please reply. Also reply if you would like your name to be added when I send Thomas the email. I suggest that it will look more "serious" and "professional" if we use real names as well as handles, but don't feel obliged.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

This is really professional. It would take me days to write a letter like that. I am not exactly a veteran but I think I know most things that were posted on this forums.
I don't know how you want to make Thomas give us the source code but it would take a lot of guts to give a stranger the work of a life-time.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 at 11:46 (GMT -5)

No, I don't think I can make him give us the source code. That's why I said that we wouldn't need it to help sort out the bug database. We'd need more privileges on www.adom.de than we currently have, but the source code is probably on Thomas's private machine.

It would be a bit like the way some people can do more than others on these forums. Anyone can post, and Iridia and I are moderators so we can delete other people's posts, but there are things like banning users that only Jan can do. Does that make it any clearer what I meant?

About us being strangers - that's why I put the "aka Ekaterin" at the end, so that he can look at my posts on these forums and get a "feel" for who I am.
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6512 days, 23 hours, 1 minute and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

I'd help. :-). I'm usually available if I'm not ADOMing or playing Deus Ex for the nth time.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 19 hours, 2 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 at 19:15 (GMT -5)

Sounds like a good idea. Count me in... if homework doesn't interfere I ought to have at least a little free time.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Thanks for your willingness to help! Jonesy and Iridia, are you willing to sign your real names to the email? If so, please let me know what they are (by email to erm1001@cam.ac.uk if you don't want to post here). You don't have to, but I think that "Dr Eva Myers" looks ever so much more professional than just "Ekaterin".

Is it okay if I post the draft email to the ADOM newsgroup to see if I can recruit more signatures there?

Mewto, are you in, or do you still feel too young to get involved?
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

I'm in. But only 4 people are willing to help?

For the Horde!
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7307 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

I probably would help, but I'm too irresponsible. And erratic. And busy. And insane.

Actually, I suppose I will.

Signed, Jake Scott (aka Andor Drakon)

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7050 days, 4 hours, 5 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Ahh... I should have read this thread before the petition for more updates ;-)

If you'd let me, I'd be happy to help, but I would expect you'd be hesitant to ask anyone to hand source out to someone with a very short history with the community.

At any rate, if there is anything I can do that falls within your comfort limits, I'm at your disposal.

Sincerely,

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6512 days, 23 hours, 1 minute and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at 18:53 (GMT -5)

I'm in. Add Rob Jones to it. (Which will be Dr. Rob Jones sometime in the next, oh, 6 years. :-))

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/10/2004 at 19:00 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 19 hours, 2 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at 23:09 (GMT -5)

My last name's too unique, rather not use it on the Net... Call me Lisa D.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

My name is Christian Mihanta. I think Mihanta is scrappy but I love Christian.
For the Horde!
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7050 days, 4 hours, 5 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

When I was a kid, my dog's name was Scrappy.

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

Still no reply from TB?
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 at 14:23 (GMT -5)

I sent him the email, but he never replied :-(
KoRnDogG [unlogged]
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 at 15:57 (GMT -5)

I will help if he agree's

My name is Steve Macfarlane.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 at 23:04 (GMT -5)

are you from scotland?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 at 03:05 (GMT -5)

Count me in too
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
DRakelevel4
Registered user
Death to the living

Last page view:

7212 days, 16 hours, 1 minute and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

i wish i could help gest don't have the skills and dont have the knoledge but if there is anithing i can help count me in
you throw the blessed potion of gain atributes at the rat,you miss the potion is smashed,the rat hits you,you are bleding,you throw the amulet of life saving at the rat, you miss,the rat hits you, you get angry,you drink the blessed potion of poison,you cast slow on you self,you cast magic misle,it bounces you are hit it bounces you are hit .......... you are hit,you die
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6396 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

Mewto, if you were talking about me, then no, I am not from scotland, I am from Canada. My grandma is from Ireland but my Grandpa is from Scotland.
"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7195 days, 11 hours, 7 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 at 11:00 (GMT -5)

J.Duntan (a.k.a NMBLNG) is also in.

That's also the ID I use on the ADOM RFEs.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: