Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / A Quick Question

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

What dungeon levels can greater vaults be generated on?

I'll be honest about why I'm asking... I have no actual ability with this game so I'm planning to cheat my arse off generating as many greater vaults as possible.
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

6231 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 at 18:29 (GMT -5)

Try looking here

http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-toc.html

I think greater vaults are most likely on deeper levels of the Caverns of Chaos. They can be really tough, especially undead with those damned Emperor Lichs. So many stat drains.

Good luck.

The kobold cringes in pain
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 at 19:10 (GMT -5)

Well, I'm cheating like crazy, so I don't need luck as badly as most.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1234 days, 15 hours, 3 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 at 19:22 (GMT -5)

Tell us when you find your first major vault, what kind it is, and whats in it. Ive never encountered one myself, and would like to know how deep they are

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 00:17 (GMT -5)

Just checking.. is there always a chance that a greater vault can be generated on deep caves of chaos levels, or is vault location decided when you create your character? Because I've generated D:38 many times and I've only gotten "you shudder.." twice, and I don't want to try forever if there's no hope.

Also, is there a better chance of getting greater vaults when lucky, doomed, or is that all superstition?
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

6231 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

I do not think that it is decided when you create your character. Each level is created when you first visit it.

You are burning new ground for me. If you're not getting what you want on D:38, perhaps try deeper. Just watch out for greater undead vaults and greater karmic vaults.

The kobold cringes in pain
Alex_
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 08:16 (GMT -5)

according to the guidebook, the 'You shudder' message indicates a trap-filled room, not a greater vault. 'You feel truly excited' indicates a greater vault.

http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-0-13.html
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1234 days, 15 hours, 3 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 11:29 (GMT -5)

He obviously knows that Alex, thats why he said

"I dont want to keep trying if theres no hope" Meaning he knew it wasnt a vault, and just regenerated the level

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

I'm not the kind of guy who wants to tear this game apart bit by bit, and make everything happen the way I want it, so if I can't generate any good levels I'll just stop trying. I've already had really good luck so I probably don't need to scum anymore at all. While I was in the big room, trying to raise my dex to 27 with herbs, some random monster must have dropped a very, very good item without my noticing, because when I went down to sell my stuff, I read a blessed scroll of identify, and discovered...

blessed wand of wishing (5 charges)

I stared at that for a while before I realized what it was. And then I said "Sweeeeet!"
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

Okay, it looks like it's decided where you'll get vaults when you start the game. All the evidence points towards that. I used to start all my games with the same save file at the beginning of the game, and I always got all my vaults in the same places. Also, I did manage to find a greater vault on D:42, but this was first try. I tried 4 more times, and got one every time. Not the same kind of vault, though. So I can still generate greater vaults until I find one with artifacts I want, but I can't get more vaults than a non-scummer can. I guess this is something put in the game to thwart filthy scummers like me.

Other things that are decided when you start the game are: Crowning gifts, and corruption order (unless you already have the artifact or corruption you were supposed to get). Pre/post crowning and uselessness gifts are still random.

Also, this means that dooming/luck has no effect on greater vaults, so you can all put those silly ankhs and crowns of science (or whatever you use) away. I tried with ankh and RofMC, I tried javelin of doom, I got the vault both ways.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 03:29 (GMT -5)

Corruption order? I doubt it is decided when you start, as if it would it would be logical to assume that if you lose some corruption and regain that corruption level, the corruption would be the same, yet it isn't.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

It is decided when you start, and the remaining corruptions reshuffled whenever you remove corruption.

I think greater vaults are guaranteed on some levels (either fixed or randomly determined at the beginning of the game), and random on others... but that's just my opinion; I don't spend much time on the lower CoC since my average character dies at level 12!

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 2/19/2004 at 16:01 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6469 days, 57 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

On the corruption order issue, it seems to me that the initial order is random, but once you have a corruption, then remove it, the odds seem to be in favor of that corruption coming back the next time.

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 18:22 (GMT -5)

Iridia: I don't think there are any guaranteed greater vaults. It is possible to never see a single one. The first character I scummed through to the end of the game never saw one.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

Okay. Possibly there are some levels more prone to them than others?...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5672 days, 21 hours, 50 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 at 14:54 (GMT -5)

I can second what Some guy said about greater vaults not being guaranteed: my first two(and the only two so far) savescummed winners encountered a total of 0 greater vaults. Serves them right, being the cheating bastards they were.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6469 days, 57 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 at 17:07 (GMT -5)

Greater Vaults (apparently) are determined when you enter the COC, not at the begining of the game. I have used a saved character (back when I cheated) to scum for artifacts using that particular programming routine. Saved before going into the COC, saved again around DL25, then wandered down until a GV was found. Reload the save from DL25, and every time I entered the level the GV was on originally, another one was generated (though with differing monster types). But when I loaded the game I had saved before entering the COC, and went down to that same level again, no GV. Heck, no GV was in the entire dungeon on that trip!

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 at 21:53 (GMT -5)

I don't know exactly how it works, I just have theories. But a save file I've played from the beginning of the game several times always gets a vault on the level just below dwarftown. So maybe some vaults are decided when you start the game, some are decided when you enter COC... I don't really know. I'll leave the testing to somebody with a longer attention span than me.

And the corruption order is definitely decided at the beginning of the game, because that file I started with always got the same corruption order. (Until I started removing corruptions, anyway)
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6729 days, 7 hours, 41 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 at 15:46 (GMT -5)

at least in earlier versions the corruption order was fixed, or then I just kept getting the same ones by chance.

And my point was...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: