Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Least Likely To Die

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Badekar
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 05:35 (GMT -5)

So, I've been playing ADOM quite a few times, but I've never actually been able to finish it. What I need is a Race/Class combo that has a good chance of surviving long enough... and perhaps some strategy tips?
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7313 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

Archers (preferably elven) can get quite a way in the wilderness (about to level 12 sometimes) off jackals and barbarians and find it slightly harder then in.

Drakish/trollish healers are good at survival usually.

I find priests very good at spellbook collection which can boost your chances, especially if combined with a good race.

There are probably several other good ideas, but basically every class from dark elven farmer to hurthling beastfighter has been argued as a really good class.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3910 days, 18 hours, 21 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

I'm playing a drakish beastfighter for the moment, it has been the easiest game I've ever played.

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

If you want to survive long, try to get the starsign Candle (I think it's candle). Fast healing, prayers cheaper.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1238 days, 8 hours, 12 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 09:42 (GMT -5)

I play Orcish healers a lot, Trollish Monks for the high strength and reduced food consumption. Dwarven Priests are good if you like a mix of fighting and casting.

Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5599 days, 12 hours, 38 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

Trollish Healers (pref in month of the Candle)

Dumb and awkward, but good toughness and extreme healing powers make them tanks in the early to mid game. Never got to the end game =P so I cant comment on that.
*Majin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

any class/race combo is the best, just play the combo that you like the most, and remember to pay attention! many a lost character i have had while holding down on a direction key, or thinking, 'just one more hit, THEN ill drink that healing potion....'
Dont use beserk unless your in very dire straights, use coward whenever your running away. Blessed potions of extra healing rock, keep one on you at all times for those close encounters. My fave race is humans, crossed with the classes of Assassin, barbarian and monk.
Badekar
Registered user
Jelly Bait

Last page view:

7366 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

Well, I usually don't have much trouble keeping my characters alive to level 12ish (except for my favourite class, Mindcrafters). Or I do, but it doesn't matter because it's easier to start over that early. So I'd like a combination that is powerful in mid/endgame without being completely defenceless early on.

How about Human Paladins? Protection against non-neutrals later on, sacrificing Sis to gain standing?

As for stupid mistakes, I'll drink to that.
Badekar
Registered user
Jelly Bait

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 12:03 (GMT -5)

OK, I'm trying a Candle Troll Monk. Wish me luck!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1238 days, 8 hours, 12 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

A very good combination if your having any trouble earlier on. Just remember, if you find a great weapon like an eternium Two-Hander or phase daggers, forsake your unarmed fighting ways :P

Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7020 days, 7 hours, 5 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

dark elf beastfighters...because of the longeivity, ghosts and ghost lords can't age you to death, and the fact that you don't need to find an awesome weapon, you can kill anything without worrying about being disarmed, weapon corroded, etc..

dark elf monks...same reason for the ghosts, but they can deal more damage than beastfighters, need no armor, can cast spells fairly proficiently, and, if the strength is high enough, can kick down walls. This ability is real handy because you can avoid most doors (no need to worry about traps) tunnel your way out of a tight spot, or allow you to create a place where you only have to defend one square. Plus the ability to deliver an instakill comes in very handy on occasion.

But Majin is correct...you just have to play carefully...each race\combo has the capability to win.

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

to that human paladi stuff. I finished the game with a dwarven paladin with N= status. Damn that DV bonus ROX against non-balanced monsters! At D:50 especially... paladins own, maybe they do have some stupid level bonuses like the 'they can determine the alignment of a monster by simply looking at it' but hell, almost every class has a rather stupid class bonus. anyway
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5154 days, 1 hour, 59 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

Wizards are good. If they dont die early
(in which case, rinse repeat and go again)
they are often winner-material
Badekar
Registered user
Jelly Bait

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

My trollish monk was killed by ghosts on the Graveyard level. They kept weakening him so he became burdened and couldn't fight properly...
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5676 days, 14 hours, 59 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

Achilles: beastfighters do more damage than monks after about 15 levels or so. The damage dice their attack uses is smaller but the damage bonus is bigger. It also makes for steadier damage.

Monks are better spellcasters and have a smaller penalty for using weapons, so you can actually weild something if you really want to. They get penalties for using heavy armour though.

High elven priests are quite easy to play IMO. They get great skills, good starting equipment and nice stats. They can cast spells but also kill some monsters in melee. Elves are also good with bows. Versatile.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 at 22:28 (GMT -5)

Human Priest, easiest class in the game to survive with. Try also Elven Farmers, especially Dark elves, or Trollish Monks.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: