Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How to handle vortex

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lurk
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

My monk found the 7Lboots in the UnremarkableD and then met an acid vortex, which instant killed him. How do you handle those vortexes?
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1226 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

With 7league boots you should have been able to outrun him..Unless they were cursed of course.

Fire and Ice Vortexes arent too bad, but Acid and Lightning are a whole nother story.

Its best to get a few sqaures away from them if you can, and hit them with missiles or spells not of their Type.

If they do happen to get one square next to you, go beserk and hope you can drop it

maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 at 18:16 (GMT -5)

meelein acid vortexs, that's what adom's all about, guts and glory. haha, you're crazy...but i do that too, at least a few times a game. they're not that tough (if you have immunity!) but you can kiss your stuff goodbye. use teleport, but they're real quick and you can't lose them easily. potion of exchange might work i never tried that. lure them in a tight hallway and keep monsters between you and him while bolting him. there aren't a lot of things in the game that will make me skip a heartbeat other than an acid or lightning vortex low in CoC. cause you just know they're gonna take your best stuff, and probably you with it. anyway, go for it.
Lurk
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 at 20:05 (GMT -5)

Well I retreated and shot arrows at it but they all missed, went up the stairs hoping to lure it up the level and leave it there while I went back down. It followed me but it moved first and even with maxed HP I died.

Do monsters get a better chance to move first went they follow you up or down the stairs? And how much HP is required to survive? I have about 65HP level 9 monk.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1226 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 at 20:19 (GMT -5)

Monsters almost always get the next move after following you up/down stairs.

The move where they follow you is essentially a free move. If you dont have enough speed to get the next turn while climbing the stairs, then they go first

Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6508 days, 14 hours, 42 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

The plural is vortices,

Anyway, you have two options.

1) Run away and come back when you can teleport, or have two sources of acid resistance.

2) die.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Lurk
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

Do acid vortices do damage or instant-kill? There was no damage message.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5614 days, 2 hours, 59 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

Lurk: all vortices just do some damage. If you didn't have enough HP to survive the blast - that's it. Later on when the PC has more HP vortices are no longer an insta-kill.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Lurk
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Are the effects of wearing 2 rings of acid resist the same as 1 ring of acid resist? The guidebook says only fire has multiple resist levels.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 4 hours, 46 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 19:15 (GMT -5)

Acit vortices have never been a problem for me, after getting Elemental Gauntlets I'm not worried about much. My good items are usually artifact or higher metals anyhow; and though I have been unfortunate enough to lose 7LBs once, I'm almost never fortunate enough to find them so my strategies don't include being able to run faster than most monsters.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
NMBLNG
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

If you have immunity/resistance to vortecies, you can use them to toast big groups of monsters if you get surroundedd- like in the big room.

Whenever I see a vortex, I usualy either run, zap it, or shoot it.
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

Larrack answers a question no-one answered, and suggests that in his experience Acid vortices can easily do up to 70 or 80 points of damage. I have no evidence for this, I'm just trying to remember how much they tended to do to my characters.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 05:44 (GMT -5)

Oh, yeah, they can definitely do that much. But after an ant corpse or the elemental gauntlets... like I said, no biggie. Just keep about 40 HP on hand and you're okay.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 12:33 (GMT -5)

dont forget the ammo of constuct slaying!
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 at 02:44 (GMT -5)

Man, it's fun to run into a room of acid vortices early on, isn't it? I know I have... the funny thing is I actually came out on top. I had seven league boots and a strong missile attack and had enough room to back up and shoot.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

Congrats... you've seen what few have survived, and lived to tell about it! :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

i'm pretty sure vortexes can do several hundred points of damage. in the lower CoC levels when their explosion is about the same as a wizard with a willpower ~50. i think i remember having
-150 hp or so when i died. does this scare you?

mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6957 days, 2 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 03:00 (GMT -5)

I believe vortices on levels below I200 or so have that larger radius too (-150 hp? Sounds like I was pretty lucky to get the Ring of Immunity with the character who had to go that deep). Has anyone been down far enough that the radius increases a second time?
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7312 days, 11 hours, 38 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

has anyone else had their level 8 character attack a wizard only to have it summon Lightning Vortexs?
sometimes i hate adom *Sigh*

What do you Wish for?_
Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 06:41 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure, but I think vortices don't see invisible. So if you have a ring or a cloak you should be safe. They will follow you, but won't explode until you try to attack them.
maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 at 17:21 (GMT -5)

maybe weak ones can't see invis, but almsot everything that can kill you can see invis later in the game.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: