Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Do you know about MUDs?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 22 hours, 35 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 11:19 (GMT -5)

This is meant as a kind of advertisement. Feel free to ignore it. But some of you who like ADOM might like this...

Basics: MUD - is in a multiplayer, internetbased ADOM-like game. Is a text game, set loosely with a forgotten realms-fantasy theme. The game is on a server, and then players connect to via telnet or special "client" programs. There are many many different muds out there, but heres my all-time favourite:

Duris - Land of bloodlust - is as the title implies a MUD based on death and destruction. You control a character, which will gain levels and equipment. Levels go from 1-50 (with special means you can attain 55 too). Characters have a class (like ADOM) - like sorcerer, conjurer, assassin, thief, cleric, druid, shaman, paladin, warrior and so on. There are also Races, divided into two main groups - the "Good" and the "Evil". Good races are human, dwarf, elves, barbarians etc and the Evil are Orc, Troll, Ogre, Drow elf etc. Some races can choose side, like thri-kreen (killer bugs) and harpy. Many different race/class combinations are possible, but not every one like ADOM.

The real fun is, the game is like a war between evil and good. Players group together, to find equipment, gain levels, or even better, to "hunt" or raid. If you play a good race, you will enter the underdark, or lurk around one of the evil cities and attempt to slay any of an evil race. Racewar plays an important role in this game. If you manage to kill enemies, you will get much experience, and can take all their equipment too. They can even be carrying artifacts.

If anyone havent tried MUDs before, you might give it a shot. There is a webpage: www.durismud.com which will tell something about connecting to the mud. Telnet port is www.durismud.org 6666
Once you get in, pick a name and password, start a Storm Giant Warrior, and walk a bit about, read the help files.
If you see Molach or Mordach on, send me a tell and I'll tell you about stuff.

Game is free, but you need internet connection up.

Thanks for reading - see you on the field of battle soon.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 1 hour, 25 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 12:01 (GMT -5)

I've tried MUDs... i an see how they can be quite addictive once you get past learning the controls, especially for people who like ADOM (and thus don't mind a lack of graphics). But ADOM is enough wasting time for now, so I'm trying NOT to get addicted.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 4 hours, 48 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 12:16 (GMT -5)

I like muds a lot. But after playing some of the greatest, and having them go under....I cant get used to the different interfaces.

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 18 hours, 24 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 22:45 (GMT -5)

I played The Wheel of Time MUD for a long time, but I gave it up because I didn't like having to pay gold to buy offline time. Otherwise, though, it was fun.
Portrait
the mighty NHGH
Registered user
pRAise "BOB"!

Last page view:

7174 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 01:09 (GMT -5)

achaea was cool. just took forever to get into. i dont have like weeks of time to play a game (as much as i wish i did) ;)

For the Good "Bob" selleth all, even the least and the last; and all buyers are joyous unto his selling.

And those who knoweth not the Good "Bob" from the Evil "Bob" shall verily sell away their souls, and shall be lost.
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 10:54 (GMT -5)

medievia's the only one i've been playing, and not so much now as i used to. i don't reccomend starting as a warrior in that game. get's boring around level 17 or 18 if you're a warrior... i have yet to multiclass but wheni do it'll get a lot funner, i bet...
Skan
Registered user

Last page view:

7343 days, 4 hours, 18 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 at 00:05 (GMT -5)

I've been playing New Moon MUD for quite a few years now (never getting very far, due to my tendancy to quickly use up my 7 lives with silly things like falling off tall things and catching the pox), and having sampled multiple other muds I've found it the best. The commands are logical and simple, people are friendly, and it has a skill (versus level) based system where you can get exp from a whole lot more than just fighting. For example, you can get exp in smithing by sitting around at a smithy, and likewise for other trades, or as a thief your primary way to get exp is fencing goods stolen from shops and sneaking around.
It's quite like a book, really, in detail that's been put in. A perk for new players is the extensive help system and the libraries (research a topic and if it's related to the game you'll likely come up with a few paragraphs on the subject). Anyways, if you want to try something diffrent, go ahead. (http://eclipse.cs.pdx.edu is the webpage, if a bit outdated)
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

7 hours, 35 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

I've played a few, not realy into it much these days though (require to much time)...

The Discworld one is quite good.

Another one I've spent a bit of time at is Legends of Excalibur. A friend of mine is still heavily involved there, working on theyr web site and, playing god and what not :P

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 at 21:21 (GMT -5)

I've tried to start playing Retromud twice, gave up both times within probably half an hour. Some games just look too frighteningly complicated for me to get into them.
wakka*nl
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

I started Icesus the other day, and it IS addictive. Good thing I didn't inhale...
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6522 days, 12 hours, 49 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 12:20 (GMT -5)

I've also played icesus. It IS cool indd.

Don't remember why i stopped playing that one. I do know i'm gonna play it this evning agian :D
If i can remember my char and pass and stuff :D

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6522 days, 12 hours, 49 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

That was a short visit, it is down while they are rewriting things or something.
Does sound promising :D

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 14:09 (GMT -5)

TRY MEDIEVIA! *g*
www.medievia.com
i found it in an ad in PC Gamer a long time ago, and have been playing it on and off for like 5 or 6 years... it's farily simple compared to some MUDs, but does also have a lot of complexity. There are only 4 classes to play, and it's pretty easy to just run around killing stuff and do fairly well, but there's also a lot of detail involved: a lot of zones have hidden passages that can be spotted by reading descriptions; there are *tons* of zones; lots of stuff you can do, weather, etc etc etc. right now they're upgrading from version 4 to version 5 so additions are coming pretty quickly. Just recently they made it so that wilderness can light on fire.

If you ever play look for Wegris. That's me. I'd be happy to form with you and fool around.
zov_
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 at 12:31 (GMT -5)

I play icesus, I think it's the best mud I've played, though I've only played other muds for a couple of minutes. And yeah, it's down, there has been major copyright problems. Then there was a crash which kept it down for some days. At the moment it's back up, but the website is still down (www.icesus.org). Usually it's very stable and during the ~1 year I've played it there has been only these two downtimes.
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6673 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 at 12:52 (GMT -5)

Tomenet. Its kinda like MUD but whit adom likish graphs^_^

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Yali
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 03:45 (GMT -5)

Just go and try MUME - Multi User in Middle Earth.
It's the best MUD around. Only downside: it's very hard to become someone there! Superb skill/class system and more places than you could wish for... I have played on and off for two years and still have never visited a big part of them (namely Moria and southern Dunland).

Just go try it at http://mume.pvv.org
You can even play directly from the site if you have java.

Have fun!
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6393 days, 58 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

Achaea is my favorite mud, message Guthalack or Comadan I can help people out.

"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6673 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:52 (GMT -5)

MUDS bring memories of old Text adventures :D

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Portrait
Cadegan_Muze
Registered user
n00b, sad but true.

Last page view:

7280 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

Avalon is my fave. Only it costs money and my mom doesn't want me do play it. Oh well, maybe when I am older.

Ahhh... I'm too lazy to think of one right now. Maybe later.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6852 days, 13 hours, 38 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

Yeah I know about them, I'm a masspker in many of them :D
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

3278 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 22:26 (GMT -5)

I only PK mass PKers.

I go on Medievia as Mirtai, currently level 20 thief, clan is Enclave of the Golden Emblem.

Link me sometime, I suppose. We'll go... exp, trade, whatever.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 19 hours, 3 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Mirtai was/is the name of an Atan giant warioress in some of the books of David Eddings.(The Tamuli series) He is a very good fantasy writer.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 4 hours, 48 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

If you have some spare cash and love Muds, id recommend Dragons Gate. I used to play it years ago but had to stop when i stopped working.

It has a great community, and the races and classes are simply amazing. Huge player base and great skill/magic system. No levels.

Dragons actually evolve from something resembling a Lizardman into the medieval dragons we all know and love if you play one for long enough

duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:09 (GMT -5)

*cheer* yay, another medievia player!
I'll take you up on that offer sometime Bez. I don't get a lot of time to play these days though (grades, gar) but it's always fun to play with someone you met someplace *other* than Medievia...
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

3278 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 23:57 (GMT -5)

Well, now I'm Lothoredus. I nasty incident involving me playing a female character and an over-horny hero. He offered me 50,000,000 gold. =(

SO NOW I'M A MALE CLERIC

Yeah, I abandon many characters around level 20 - but this one has perfect stats so... yeah.

Also, Med is pretty awesome now - they've recently implemented an ADOM-like wilderness and zone map.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: