Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Just another "What If..."

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7103 days, 11 hours, 33 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 21:08 (GMT -5)

I'm completely and totally bored right now, and like always, I started thinking. As you may be thinking right now, this is going to be a boring thread, and It is going to be one of my many rants. I would suggest not reading this unless you are extremely bored. Even then, this is still boring.

Well, I got thinking, that considering that this world was generated randomly (the ideas and thoughts of the world, not the birth of it. This is not a religious thread) then what are the chances of everything now becoming different? People would be completely different. We might think that looking fat instead of skinny is better, or we might not care at all about how we look. We would have completely different outlooks on life. Looks, music, religion (again, not a religious thread.) But look at it this way:

If we were to make an enviornment, completely controlled, that had no access to the outside world, and put newborn babies into it, what would be the outcome? Of course, this is cruelty, and will never be done. But it is an idea to ponder. They would develop a whole different language, different ideas, different looks, everything. Or they would end up killing each other in a matter of days. Either way, it would be different.

Which brings upon the question. Is everything we do and say in this world completely random? Would we care about how we look as much as we do today? Would we even develop a different sense of what is right or what is wrong? It's something I was just pondering. Again, this is only a rant. I'm just bored...

(:
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1233 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

As pearljam put it so eloquently... "Its evolution baby!"

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 16 hours, 56 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

Try to believe in the Matrix. Perhaps it would be easier for you to understand the "real world".
By the way, I love your site.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 23 hours, 18 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 20:06 (GMT -5)

I would imagine some sort of tribal society would emerge... the lack of technology and lack of education would probably mean that humans raised isolated from society would develop a culture based on what they could see and feel. Not that there's anything wrong with tribal societies per se; but they are the easiest to develop. Of course, it would take a long time to come up with things like traditions, mythology, religions, et cetera, that we see in today's "primitive" peoples. I wouldnt' be surprised to see factions based on religious opinions or leadership coming out; but I don't think it would be violent enough to cause more than a few deaths. They would've grown up together, and the "pecking order" would be well developed by the time they grew strong enough to really hurt each other.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/16/2004 at 20:07 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7318 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

You could raise them to believe in ways and religion that helped each other without the desire to use voilence on each other.Kind of like Buddhism, which is the most peaceful of all religions. Apart from the Shoalin monks who were elite in combat, but they were still pacifists and only fought in defence and never used weapons. They were kind of tribal but more advanced in wisdom rather than technology.
They say the Indians didn't know of war until the English came over and taught them of it harsh way. Before they used muscle men to have wrestling matches to determine land distrubution between tribes, no one was usually killed.

People grow up determined by their environment, how they are brought up by it and how the people educate and teach them. I should imagine when world peace is brought into play, poeple will have more room to advance in more important ways.

LS
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 11:09 (GMT -5)

Your idea is good, Luke
(It reminds me of a anime called Rayearth, and a sociologist Durkheim)

But before the education of babies ever start...

Who will be responsible for the control?

Who would know what's best for others?

Since Greek, people have worked for ages on the theories of Utopia, none of them had succeeded, i must say ... more generated are the Dystopias (the opposite of Utopia) because the creators of the theories failed to realised what had gone wrong in their logics. Mainly freedom, varieties, goals, chances for reforms and future developments

Perhaps there is a better world in your mind though ... i know not ^^

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 3/17/2004 at 11:17 (GMT -5) by its author]
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 22:32 (GMT -5)

If they had no access to the outside world, everyone one of the newborn babies would starve.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5670 days, 2 hours, 38 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 00:30 (GMT -5)

I thought of this at the start... was wondering how long it would take until someone figured it out.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

Yeah, so did I. But it's a hypothetical question; we're asking what would happen if they had their physical needs (including, of course, human contact, to prevent "failure to thrive" and psychological problems... would be hard to do without influencing their development though) provided for.

Re. Indians and war: Yes... but Europeans would have had to learn war from somewhere, too, remember? We started out as tribal people too; only we invented cities and countries, and they didn't. (Aztecs, Maya, etc. did invent them; but IIRC they also had wars.)

Maybe war has something to do with people in large groups... In small groups, you can't afford to have people killed; they're instrumental to your own survival. In large groups, life becomes cheap because there's so much of it. And, of course, many wars are about land; when there's enough of it to go around (as there was in North America before the colonists came) there won't be too much fighting over it because it's not a resource scarce enough to make it valuable.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7307 days, 19 hours, 33 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

Depends on the environment actually. What if the environment contained food, readily available, and water, and other requirements of life. And, for that matter, if it was self-sustaining. Or if it was even better than the rest of the world.

In such a situation, it is best to remember but one quote.

"Should mortalkind be placed into a paradise, it would, in time, grow more shallow than his previous world. Heaven is no more an earthly place than hell."

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7318 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Should mortalkind be placed into a paradise, it would, in time, grow more shallow than his previous world. Heaven is no more an earthly place than hell."

Hmmm, maybe heaven doesn't lie in the environment which where put into because that makes it shallow, but maybe it lies in the hearts of humans and our bravery to accept it. If every human let go of hate, fear and greed I think heaven would find itself here.
The way other humans act around us indirectly reflects on other people and defines the environment over time. But you cannot make people choose a certain path, you can only allow them to.

LS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

I agree. I go to a school where most people's parents have an income level about 100 times my own parents'; so they have everything provided for them. Unless they've made a special effort not to be, they're some of the most shallow people I've ever met. And, on top of that, they backstab each other with disgusting regularity...

Yes. Heaven must definitely be in the heart before it can be anywhere else.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 02:36 (GMT -5)

I see heaven as simply a setting aside of those people who will make it that way. Nothing else needs to be done. Do people think going to heaven will change you? Heaven is just a place where the selfish and the greedy are not. They are removed to their own 'paradise', where they can backstab to their hearts content without being judged.

But assuming the children survived, and had no external contact, it is my belief that they would lead individual and stunted lives. It took humans thousands of years to develop language and society to the point where we could communicate thoughts so well we create an illusion of community.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 23:01 (GMT -5)

I've heard of child neglect cases in which children were not exposed to human speech... after about the age of five or six, permanent speech problems developed; after the age of nine, the children hardly learned to communicate at all.

But these were all cases of complete isolation... babies are born knowing how to communicate to some degree (crying); why shouldn't they develop at least some sort of rudimentary language--gestures, perhaps, or onomatopoeic sounds--when exposed to others who are also pre-speech? Attempts to communicate seem almost inevitable, given the human brain's capacity for learning at least as many as four languages perfectly, when exposed to them before the age of nine.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/31/2004 at 23:03 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

Did human speech develop within one lifetime, iridia?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 22:27 (GMT -5)

You're asking the wrong person! Because I'm operating under the intelligent-design hypothesis, I'd say humans were created with the ability to speak, and invented language rather quickly thereafter.

Under the evolutionary model, language development would probably take place over long periods of time, but you couldn't point to any specific time as the "invention of human language" because even animals communicate in a rudimentary way. Language would simply have become more sophisticated as the human brain grew to accomodate it.

At any rate, in our little experiment, the people we're isolating from society have brains which are perfectly suited to use communication of some sort to connect with others. That they would not try to do so seems a rather hasty assumption... though I'd agree that their language would be much more simple than ours, I'd have to say they'd definitely develop some form of communication.

---
Die Gedanken sind Frei...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: