Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Class specific Help

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1238 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

Ive been playing Adom for quite a while now, and its obvious what classes I am excellent, horrible, or just plain mediocre at.

This ends up having me whittle down my playing choices till every 5 characters is the same...

I want some tips on how to survive classes like Ranger, Mindcrafter, druid, and especially bard and necromancer.

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6518 days, 17 hours, 52 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

Druids are fairly easy. Start them off in the month that gives you the extra PP when generated neutral. Druids are always neutral, IIRC.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 17:49 (GMT -5)

Yes they do always start at some flavor of Neutrality...The real problem with Druids is leveling though. Lots of exp is lost early on since you cant kill Animals.

I know you can still kill ones that were summoned/on the druid level/tension room. Neutral is the hardest alignment to get crowned under as well

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3768 days, 13 hours, 54 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

You can be a chaotic druid and kill all the animals you want.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 20:10 (GMT -5)

True, but then whats the point of being a druid? The class powers *SUCK*, when you turn chaotic do you lose the thing where no animal will harm you?

NMBLNG
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

For Mindcrafters: use your confuse ray, and avoid strong monters untill level 6. Level 6 is the MAGIC level for all mindcrafters, as you then leand MindBlast, which is a fairly powerful attack. Also, since you can't gain efficiancy in mindcraft, go into some king of melee weapon, preferably spears and sheilds for high DV.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5778 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

Armada: No, but the only reason it's bad for a druid to kill peaceful animals is that it turns them more chaotic, which isn't a problem for a chaotic druid.

If you're a druid, and you kill a peaceful animal with your lightning bolt, is that still a chaotic act? (Normally it's not chaotic to kill peacefuls this way, but maybe there is something special about druids and animals.)

Druids are a good choice if you want to avoid killing cats.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 12:56 (GMT -5)

Hmm im going to play a chaotic druid then. Sparkles the Orc :)

Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

Surviving with a necromancer is easy. Rely on your frost bolt spell at low levels, then rely on your minions later on.

Play Rangers as if they were fighter slash archers, and train a single heavyish one handed weapon (100+ stones is ideal). Get all the feats that give bonuses for heavy weapons, and level it up in weapon skills, and at higher levels you can use two of them!

Mindcrafters need to use confusion ray on just about everything they meet. Try and train them to be good fighters. They'll need it, often. High level thrown daggers or wielded spears is useful. Make sure you train shield skill against weak monsters.

Druids are just sucky wizards. Enough said.

For Bards, train your companion first. Don't level up even once until your companion is sixth level. Clear the small cave with them. Then level yourself and them up at a reasonably even rate. Gnomes make GREAT bards, because they begin with a giant racoon. Sounds sucky, but it has immense PV.

(edit) I think I should note that the highest levels of Rangers (L40) can wield two ->120 stone weapons without penalty, and receive the obscene benefits feats can give these kinds of weapons, twice over (+6 to hit and +6 to damage if I recall, for 3 feats, for each weapon)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/17/2004 at 22:41 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6520 days, 23 hours, 49 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

I've been playing a lot of necromancers recently - surviving up until about level 10 is the really hard part. The secret's in learning to use your starting frost bolt effectively: where to stand to get the best shots, when to wait for enemies to line up, how much of your hp to use in overcasting. I find the minions are really pretty crappy at low levels. Ghuls are quite useful, but most of the others suck; it's only once you get to make skeleton warriors (about level 30 iirc) that they start to kick major ass. If you can find troll corpses, USE THOSE, don't eat them, the hp regen they get is very useful. My pair of level 20 troll beserker skeleton warriors made some pretty sweet bodyguards for my last character.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/18/2004 at 10:05 (GMT -5) by Alex]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5677 days, 4 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

The quickling tree can prove useful to necromancers. Quicklings are arguably the best material for slaves: they're fast as hell so they won't lag up on you even with your 7LBs on AND they regenerate, which is extremely useful for slaves as you can't use heal spells on them.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5836 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

hmm... I just came up with a quite stupid idea: close the gate with a level 1 necromancer and leave the chain.. I know you can't bring companions to D:50, but that's why you would have heaps of SoFS... the beginning would be the hardest, ofcourse, since you would have to lure a monster to a trap or sumtin', or you could just make the necromancer a troll one, that way you could kill more monsters before achieving lvl 2 :)

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3768 days, 13 hours, 54 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 at 14:45 (GMT -5)

Hmh. It's been done with a bard using killer bug pets... but I'm not sure if a necromancer could do it... Would be interesting though.

Barnabas (Llawenilothel) often sells corpses.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/19/2004 at 14:45 (GMT -5) by Iridia]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: