Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Birthscumming

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

I was wondering if anyone else meddles with the month of birth? There are some (3-4) birthmonths that I don't want my char to be born in. If I get one of those (crappy) months, I usually quit the game and start a new one.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3611 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 04:15 (GMT -5)

I sometimes do that but 99% procent I don't care.
i usually choose my character depending on my bithsign not scum for a good birthsign.
For the Horde!
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

I do it, I decide what I want to play (race/class) and I really am not gonna play a wizard with Sword or Dragon. It sometimes takes time, but I always like my chars more when I got the correct birthsign for them.
Oh and I think Candle goes with anything, so if I get that, I play.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6520 days, 12 hours, 51 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I do. I choose the character I want to play first, then I reload until I get the sign. For example I always get Tree sign for neutral human necromancers, I'm sure you can see why.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6732 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

I've done it. still sometimes, but nowadays if I get wolf, I'll just play a foo.
Usually I'm pretty satisfied with a birthsign, as I use raven, sword, dragon for fighter types (thief,assassin,barbarian,monk,beastfighter,weaponsmith) and if I get salamander or soem such, I play a wizard type.

And my point was...
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

I do that like 99% of the time, other times I'm just lucky, same with char.s if they have bad stats they leave the chain forever...until I find a 1/2 decent one.
Lurk
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

Think signs should be allowed to be choosen.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3768 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at 23:10 (GMT -5)

Hmm, yeah... there's pluses and minuses to all of 'em. Maybe a "fate" option, like with gender, race, and occupation?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 at 18:26 (GMT -5)

I've decided to start playing adom for a while.. Yesterday, looking for a good char. I must have went through over 200+ char.s 2 hopeful ones, one was killed by killing a cat in the arena, another killed by the mummy lord...
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5777 days, 23 hours, 46 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 04:00 (GMT -5)

C: You mean you quit the game because you accidentally killed a cat? I don't think that's a reason to quit. Just shoot the cat lord to death with humanoid slaying ammo and get tons of XP.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5626 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

Eka: C is not alone in that action. In the early game, I tend to quit if I accidentally off a cat. Then again, in the later stages that is no reason enough to quit but it's not that bad having to restart an early char.

Oh, and as for birth scumming, I don't usually birth scum. Sometimes I *DO* birth scum to get a nice horoscope char like Raven or Candle. OTOH I tend to quit right off if I get a char with poor starting stats or a completely useless horoscope sign like Unicorn.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Lurk
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 06:39 (GMT -5)

Either that or he was wearing the ring when he killed a cat.
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7324 days, 9 hours, 47 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 08:58 (GMT -5)

Unicorns not useless! its better than Tree, Wolf and falcon at least.

What do you Wish for?_
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 09:21 (GMT -5)

Is that so ? How much corruption resistance does that sign actually grant ? If it's less than, say, 10 % then it's pretty much useless. It doesn't matter much to me if unicorn helps staying lawful once one gets lawful as I don't play lawfuls. Tree and Wolf at least give extra willpower that is helpful in resisting confusion attacks. And extra willpower also means some extra HP that may make the difference between life and death.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3910 days, 16 hours, 27 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 09:59 (GMT -5)

I hate playing neutral as you can sacrifice so little living creatures.
But I like the Raven starsign but i don't start over if I don't get it.

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

Talking about quitting without a good reason... I had once 22lvl dark elven farmer, and I had decided to get that damn ToRR.

So, after a looong search for AoLS or RoDS, I stumbled across a pool (this happened after drinking all the pools in the dark forge), drank and I got wish. Then comes the tragedy: I WISHED FOR A RING OF DJINNI SUMMONING!!! God I hated myself that moment... That particular farmer left the Drakalor Chain like a rocket, and never came back...

Afterwards, wasting of a good char has pissed me off almost as much as that incidence. Almost...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/25/2004 at 11:14 (GMT -5) by its author]
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 18:28 (GMT -5)

It was still *very* early in the game, just about lvl 10, I quit on cat deaths, that's why its soo frustrating, that ring is part of my strategy, not having it the char. is good as dead. Yesterday NOT A SINGLE decent char! They had like a !9! on EVERY SINGLE statistic!!!! I was like rolling for 3hrs, they all were some sorry paupers... OT; Anyone remember the joke about Bush playing adom? I think that was why the CIA was the way was ;).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/25/2004 at 18:29 (GMT -5) by its author]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 01:41 (GMT -5)

C: One interesting method of rolling chars that might help: When rolling a character choose to modify stats by answering questions and answer all questions with the same letter (e.g. A). I have used this when creating beastfighters and usually they seemed to be stronger than randomly rolled ones. Sounds odd but it just might help...

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

Or download the question & answers from guidebook, print them and use them when creating. I did this during a time... mostly on spell casting chars to get high Le from the beginning. Tiresome and consumes paper, but the results can be surprisingly good.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5676 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

I have the guidebook open when creating a char, I alt+tab to it and search for the questions to find the most suitable answer. Actually these days I know by heart what to answer to most of them. Answering the questions will give you more points in the stats you like, but the stats will still be quite random.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

Another day...of BAD luck. Actually I do use the questions. It was better than Wed with all stats at 11.
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 17:52 (GMT -5)

Today I finally managed to get a char. with kind of decent stats, I took care of them, they now are at lvl. 15 with a Mana of 40.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: