Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Unbeliveable

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3907 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 03:28 (GMT -5)

So I was going for to kill Nonnak and Griff and on D:1 there was a pool and I decided to drink from it in order to get invisibility for the graveyard.
First I think I got teleportitis (can be quite useful since I have teleport control) then on the next sip I got a WISH, wished for AoLS and drank again and GOT ANOTHER WISH, this one went for toughness
(BTW I also got the invisibility)

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5832 days, 16 hours, 32 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

Sometimes it just is like that. I once drank like 15 pools at DF and all i got was aging x 2, lost teleportisis and gained it a couple of times etc etc.. no wish.

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

I know, I've had 2 wishes in a row too sometimes when draining the Forge pools. I wonder what the chance for getting a wish really is...must be low and then you get überlucky. Although Adom will prolly get you back for that, mine died while leaving the Forge, met a Steel Horror which criticalled me to death :\
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6515 days, 1 hour, 12 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

Chance is 1/50, IIRC, if you are not doomed. Cursed turns it to 1/100, IIRC. Doomed prevents you from getting one.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3126 days, 7 hours, 59 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

I got 2 wishes in a row about 2 months ago, wasted the second wish on Willpower (didn't have any seven league boots nor a girdle of giant strenght).

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

I've never gotten a wish from DF.
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7321 days, 4 hours, 5 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 18:55 (GMT -5)

First step into the puppy caves with a hurthling elementalist and i saw a pool, first drink gave me a wish! i wished for 7LBoots and then on the next level down i found 2 more pairs just lying on the ground. Damn, i should have gone for Aols.

What do you Wish for?_
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5832 days, 16 hours, 32 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 19:34 (GMT -5)

I think TB has created some sympathy-calculator for adom... I can confirm this theory (and so can many others, too), by saying, that my beastfighter got the staff of mage (or sumtin. i'm drunk, ok?) by precrowning. okay, what the heck you suppose a beastfighter does with such a weapon? Well, my dear beastfighter (who won the game, btw, look at HOF - eemeli vuopohja) decided to get crowned, and got the bracers of war IIRC... so, either adom first kicks to the head/balls, then gives you something cool, or adom first gives you something good and then kicks you to balls/head.

anyway, typos may be,and will be, found since I man pretty stoned ATM.

edit: "I man pretty stoned ATM." rofl, i mean, "I am pretty stoned ATM."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/27/2004 at 19:36 (GMT -5) by Maastonakki]
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

5877 days, 16 hours, 41 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

Talking of unbelieveable, i just encounted a wererat, jackalwere and werewolf on VD7, after killing all the easy mosters generated, the pile of junk contained SLB's, quarterstaff of devastation, light crossbow of acuracy and a fireproof blanket! (I sacked a huge tension room of goblin on VD1, that may have helped a little but still...)

I've even got holy water from the altar to bless the boots *drool* i also picked up a steel amulet down there, but it turned out to be "of hunger" of well i shouldn't complain :P

Edit:
It just keeps getting sillier, i did the gremlin trick on UD7 while wearing the ankh and 2 rings of luck, within 15 min i'd pickpocketed an AoLS, a RoI and Preserver! I reckon gremlins should get a lot harder a lot faster, fluff balls can ve abused waaaay too much.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/28/2004 at 21:15 (GMT -5) by Ferret]
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

I tried gremlin killing in the dwarven halls, and found red (and black, but I already had acid immunity) dragon scale mails, a RoI (which I usually don't use much anyway, my rings are usually better than my flammable armor) and at least 2 potions of strength and 4 PoGAs. Almost half my kills are gremlins... lol. Didn't get an AoLS or a wish item, though, which is what I was going for. And I've heard of the theory that once you find an item you're more likely to find it again, well, I've found a whole mess of boomerangs. It seems like every few minutes I find another "strange stick".
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6469 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

I hate to sound naive, but what is the 'Gremlin Trick"? Is it the same as hanging around the Gremlin cave? Since that's what I usually do, but never get many items. This is probably another old idea that I was ignorant of. Sigh.

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

Gremlin trick, is a super neat trick which i always do before the ToEF to hopefully get my RoI. It involves finding a decent size room and creating a water trap it it (wand of trp creation), then dip a fluff ball (loads in the gremlin cave) in a potion of water. You then have a pretty much infinite number of gremlin to kill and pickpocket. (The gremlins multiply when they trigger the trap).

Do this up to about 2000-2200 gremlims killed then stop cos they start getting nasty after that :). I normally do it on level 9 of the CoC cos its non corrupting, and always try and train your pickpockets up to 100 before doing this.

Oh yeah 2 blessed rings of luck and the ankh works wonders here aswell.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1235 days, 37 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 16:05 (GMT -5)

How do you "Stop" the gremlin trick though? Once youve gotten what youve wanted and want to get rid of the gremlins?

Can you just make a locked door? Or do you need to wade through the masses and destroy the water trap?

Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

368 days, 11 hours, 11 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

It's either of those tactics..

Be sure, not to have a teleportation trap in the room..
That would spred gremlins in the entire level, and my conclutions aboute this is that enormous numbers of a foe on the same level increases risk for bugs...
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7049 days, 16 hours, 35 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 07:48 (GMT -5)

can you read scrolls of danger to increase the danger level and increasing the chance of good items being generated when killing the more dangerous gremlins? erhm , yeah

the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7049 days, 16 hours, 35 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 07:49 (GMT -5)

and where is the best location for the gremlin trick?

the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Either UD or lvl 9 of CoC i reckons best, cos theres no corruption there (I think thats right!) Or dwarfen halls where you get much better items, but corruptions is rather high - plus a balor might come and kick your head in if your not careful. (Although, once loads of gremlins are running around, other monsters are no longer generated - a bit like the trick where you pacify the big room)
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 19:09 (GMT -5)

Man, I've ticked at darkforge now, and instead of making a superfluous thread I'll post here. I've completely drained DF twice, wearing the ankh (and a ring of luck this time), and I was careful to get undoomed/uncursed after every bad luck message. The first time had average pools, the second time had eleven, and I've never got a single wish from a pool without cheating. It never seems this hard to get a wish when you're save-scumming.

I guess you're going to tell me that that's balancing out my previous good luck, and I guess you're right... while I was going back and forth between DF and an altar I got skullcrusher from some DF monster, I was precrowned with protector, I was crowned with aylas holy scarf (paladin), but I was trying to get a wish for fireproof blankets, and now I have to do the ToEF with only one.
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

Please, please dont waste a wish on fireproof blankets! Get rings of ice instead, even then i'd rather use my wish on something else, the towers not that bad without them.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 01:06 (GMT -5)

RoI aren't as reliable as blankets though, and I usually don't have much flammable equipment.

I tried to do the ToEF with one blanket, and it burned after killing a few fire elementals in the temple, and a whole mess of stuff burned on the way out. I don't like him anymore...
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

Ok even if you prefer blankets to RoI in the tower (which i don't understand at all), still don't wish for blankets, go scum gremlins or fight in the big room for a bit, they're not that rare at all.

Edit: Grammar

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 4/18/2004 at 06:12 (GMT -5) by Ferret]
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7138 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

Blankets don't generate that stupid "Your freakin' equipment is protected by the freakin' sheet of ice blah blah blah" every few steps, so you don't ctrl-K, and don't die another stupid death pressing 6 a little bit too much. That's why blankets are a lot better! :-))

ID is very good for blankets, anyway. My current char had 3 trips to I9, and he's got one heluvaheap of blankets in his backpack...

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6858 days, 9 hours, 27 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

Blessed fireproof blankets have _never_ burned for me.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 12:02 (GMT -5)

omg, if you waste a wish on blankets I will actually hunt you down and kill you.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 7 hours, 24 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

I have to go with Timpen on this one. Never have I had a blessed blanket burn on me. I always do the ToEF lucky/fate smiling and wearing the ankh, if that makes any difference.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 16:12 (GMT -5)

I don't like to waste wishes. Both times I won the game normally I had spare wishes in my inventory. I think I had two rings of djinni summoning on my first winner and wand of wishing (2) on my second.
Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 at 15:36 (GMT -5)

Blessed fireproof blankets DO burn! My one blessed and two uncursed fireproof blankets once burned in ToEF. I had barely reached the 3rd lvl (IIRC) when it happened. Hasn't happened since that though...
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5596 days, 5 hours, 2 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 at 09:52 (GMT -5)

Ive lost 2 blessed fireproof blankets within 10 turns or so. Had to use teleport to get out quick. Normally I'll head in with 1 and have no problem. In fact thats the ONLY time that Ive ever lost a fireproof blanket in the ToEF. Used Revelation and was suprised that I was neither cursed nor doomed.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: