Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / SCROLL OF OMNIPOTENCE?!?!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Annonymous
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 at 12:03 (GMT -5)

Used cygnus on 1.1.1 executable, findings on lines
000DC690-000DC9B0

Quote:
after a while you manage to focus your sight on the text........Your understanding of the art of reading is too incomplete to understand the text..........'....The tome seems to contain strange tunes you don't understand.....The text contains a strange collection of tunes, songs and instrumental pieces..................have no idea what all this means.................................It seems to be some kind of code, hinting at some ancient powerful magic, a scroll or something like that....fail to decipher it..................................ABEF0AHGDJDJS HJGSJXKSSJHJKSHJGK572JDJHGSKJ32KDJKHSLK0923JDJHGS 6DJKGDSL89SKJHSLKJ3SLKJD2QWLKJNXLD4DLKJSHDJSDGCBJ D4KDHXJH7DKJHDJH9DKJHDKH9DHGDG6KDJHDKHD.....'.... manage to decipher the secret...It describes a means to find the scroll of omnipotence..have to %s to find it...

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 3/29/2004 at 16:16 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

%s .... a string hidden in the binary codes

Is there any method to find it?
Annonymous
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

Text with songs must be wierd tome... maybe you should give it to The Mad Minstrel?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3910 days, 18 hours, 4 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

What exactly is the 1.1.1 executable?

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

1.1.1 executable means the ADOM.exe file of version 1.1.1

Open it with some word processors you'll find a lot of strange symbols, but some of them are readable, like monster description, pool messages, item names, etc ^^
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

I found these lines:
You read the scroll of omnipotence.Immediately you realize that this was a big mistake as you are not prepared for the wave of power that suddenly floats your body. You are ripped to pieces almost instantly! ripped to pieces by trying to claim power not meant for %s
As you read the scroll you suddenly feel great power surging through your body. You feel invincible and your abilities are increased by enourmous amounts! Now you are a true champion of %s!
scroll of omnipotence ancient..scroll

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3768 days, 4 hours, 32 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

I think that the scroll of omnipotence may have been an old version of crowning...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7324 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 18:22 (GMT -5)

From Morios post it seems that maybe you have to be crowned before you read the scroll, otherwise you get killed by the power, maybe only with your gods help could you possibly attain such power.

What do you Wish for?_
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 22:57 (GMT -5)

I think it is a red herring deliberately thrown in by biskup to make sure that no-one ever fully completes the game. Probably intended for future versions, iridia, not past ones. I don't believe TB is capable of the kind of clumsy programming that would ACCIDENTALY leave lines of code in adom.

I think that he is stealing the idea from Ad&d, as he does a lot of things. A friend of mine has a great deal of experience as an ad&d dungeonmaster, and he told me that high level characters have rules they can use to attempt to become deities. There is a half-half chance, where one half leads to irrevocable death, and the other to godhood. These are not my ideas, I do not agree with them either spiritually or philosophically, but it does throw some light on what TB might have planned.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 02:26 (GMT -5)

I just decided I'd look at the executable and I found this...

You enter the Red Rooster Inn as the sun is just rising. Alganon, the innkeeper, welcomes you with great joy and honors you for helping the ancient dwarf. As a reward he grants you a long item wrapped in a sheet. He winks at you and mumbles "Ye know what'ta do with dat, don't ye?". Due to some urgent business Alganon then leaves.

Considering that this text was right at the beginning of the file, when it wouldn't be at the beginning of the game, and it was completely in one piece without any glitchy junk, I'd say this is definitely a red herring, but fun to read.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

Sorry, I have to add more as I find it... In a list of messages that are displayed when standing on places in the wilderness map, there are three interesting entries. "An ice patch." "A volcano."
"High mountains." Now, we all thought that there was no way to get onto the high mountains, riiiiiight? Well, maybe there is a way, and there's a volcano and an ice patch behind them!!
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 02:57 (GMT -5)

*random characters edited out*

"Your legions invade Terinyo and slaughter all resistance. You revel in the bloodshed. You order the ancient dwarf to be crucified. He dies in anguish. The Mad Minstrel seems to be gone... very strange."

And what's this??? It was next to the list of different races and classes.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 03:11 (GMT -5)

Okay, I'll just post one more before going to bed.

"The bee wax in your ears melts due to the great heat!"

TB really covered every possible situation. How often are you going to get bee's wax melted out of your ears?
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7142 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 03:42 (GMT -5)

"The bee wax in your ears melts due to the great heat!"

Oh, I've encountered that with one of my characters. Fire lizard on banshee level, breathing fire, well, you know... Luckily, banshee wasn't in sight and I had some more bees wax.

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

371 days, 18 hours, 30 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

Hmm..
Am I just mumbling or is this true?

According to "Some Guy", one is said to "enter the Red Rooster Inn as the sun is just rising"

Well.. Wasn't the line "enter the Red Rooster Inn at dawn" in earlier versions?

That would meen that Thomas has changed it and in such case, it really canīt be some forgotten line in the code..
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

There is also this message:
You enter the Red Rooster Inn. It's completely empty.

That may be generated if the character enters the Inn after that Aganon has left.
(If there is a Red Rooster Inn)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/30/2004 at 08:06 (GMT -5) by Morio]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

Or this is TB's idea of fun, keeping us on our toes with this matter :)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: