Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Is adom against me?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6858 days, 9 hours, 13 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

Ok so I had this Dwarf Beastfighter that was VERY promising. But as with all my chars *g* adom always does something against this. This time it was a bit extreme imo :P

First I got an enourmous tension room with acid vortexes which took me forever to clean up (left all eq in a locked room :P used that room to rest to)

After doing this a green slime had had some fun, the whole lvl was filled with him. After spending like 30 mins killing 452 green slimes getting sick like 50 times I finally got control of the situation. I survived again.

I rested some and got rid of sickness and entered next lvl. The stairway, in the middle of a lake with no sign of ground. I decided to try my luck and went into the water. I was kinda lucky since one single spot was non water after not so long swimming, only one prob it was occupied by an dark elf priestess. I put on berserk since I needed to take it out asap. First hit it does, paralyze (yay). After tearing half my hair off the paralyzation finally ended with me having 4 hp left. I took a last swing at the priestess with no hope at all, you slay it! You are drowning, you are dead.....

Is adom always testing your sanity like this? :P
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 21 hours and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 16:15 (GMT -5)

Yep. This surprises you? :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/29/2004 at 16:15 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7138 days, 19 hours, 7 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

Don't blame adom, it seems that you're just a little breakneck :-) Whoa, tension room full of acid vortices... I'd leave them be, unless I'd have that acid immunity (yeah, laughing madly while letting all those clouds of acid engulf me without doing any damage... what a picture, anyway).

And swimming w/o skill OR HoWB/AoWB/RotFs is always kind of russian roulette, even if you actually can see where are you going. A careful player would've left that endless ocean be, and would probably go somewhere else, not coming back until he has some means of overcoming this obstacle...

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

PS. On a second thought, sometimes I get that creepy feeling too: "Adom certainly wants me dead..."

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

Well I actually had 80 swimming thats why it was so extremely annoying to drown just that time :P
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

80 IS RISKY! Only 100 will get you whereever you want, and even that is not guaranteed with adom :-))

TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

Well I have somekinda disease that makes me kill every monsters that I'm able to kill. Trust me, it has gotten me killed alot of times before. My best char died this way trying to melee a stone ooze as wizard >.< (Got paralyzed and then a berserker prince came and I'll leave the guessing up to you)
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 17:03 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I know, I'm suffering from the same fatal illness. But I'm fighting it! :-) No, really, playing carefully is a Good Thing... at least if you're playing to win.

Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7321 days, 3 hours, 51 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 18:25 (GMT -5)

Adom is against us all, ever had a promising character take *one* step into your first cavern and been obliterated by a fireball trap?

What do you Wish for?_
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

One trap is just a bad luck. When a promising character steps into an acid trap on VD: 1, then into another on the same level... then into another, third one, and dies ugly death before even making a first kill... there MUST be some malevolent will behind that :-)

*Majin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 19:56 (GMT -5)

Bwuh hahahahah hahah ha ha hahahahahahah
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 at 22:52 (GMT -5)

Adom will kill you, if you give it even the smallest of chances. Why do you think all these people are still playing it after all these years?
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5622 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 00:28 (GMT -5)

Hmh... One of my beastfighters got a rather nasty surprise. Was at about lvl10 and was scumming the ID for gold to buy detect traps. At ID2 or something - "You sense imminent danger..." (or something). Couple of steps later I came upon a hydra that just killed the char in couple of hits...

So I guess ADOM really is against you. And lately has been against me as well...

J.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

Yeah, Adom tends to kill my guys too. But, eventually you'll get lucky and have one survive for a really long time. I've been making dark elf wizards, and I've been playing them basically like I play fighter types. Sure, this means that most will die fairly soon... but, this also means that somebody who lives through the first part of the game could go all the way. I just went throught the ToEF with one of these wizards, and only used magic on some fire grues and demons to avoid corruption. Aside from that, melee pretty much all the way. (And dragon slaying quarrels for the wyrm, of course.)

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

Ah well my new dwarf beastfighter went much better in the beginning (lvl 11 now still beginning maybe :P)

Found an altar just to the exit to UD in smc, got postcrowned twice offering the infinite amount of animals that spawn in there (getting lvl 8 and 11 on them to ofcourse. So now I am the proud owner of crown of leadership and ring of immunity ;)
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 11:49 (GMT -5)

that was me posting :P
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

RoI is nice to have...remember not to hog too many artifacts (or at least not equip them) because they increase food consumption. But since you are already crowned, the effect is smaller.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 6 hours, 55 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

Silly boy, ADOM is against everyone! It always finds a way to kill even my most seemingly indestructible of characters.

Take Atonas the orcish weaponsmith, level 12 precrowned with Wyrmlance thankyouverymuch, for example. Hacking his slow way through a vault of oozes, oh look, four gray oozes and a flesh golem all lined up, how nice. What do I have, ooh, blessed brass wand. Now in all my years of playing ADOM, I must have picked up DOZENS of brass wands and to my memory they have always been wands of fire, just like steel wands are always wands of light, wooden rings are rings of fire resistance, just one of those things. Well, not this time.

ZAPP! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The flesh golem is hit by the lightning bolt! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The bolt bounces! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The flesh golem is hit by the lightning bolt! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The gray ooze is hit by the lightning bolt! The lightning bolt hits you! Your uncursed scroll of satiation is burned to ashes! You are electrocuted! You die . . .

Surely my MOST unlucky character ever went as follows:

You feel you should not remain here long. Some items are lying here. A staircase is leading upwards here.
You pick up the scroll labelled 'ENO OWT EERHT'. The orc hits you! You die . . .

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/31/2004 at 03:54 (GMT -5) by Alex]
BlackDragonIncarnate
Registered user
NotAllThere

Last page view:

7288 days, 9 hours, 27 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

For me glass wands seem to be most often of light, but the situation I always loved was this. You walk into a room. *BOOM* fireball trap, you step aside and fall into a pit of vipers you kill all the ones that don't get killed by the acid trap to your left and then step towards the door. Flash of light you are stunned, you stagger, you fall into a pit, you die. argghh, dang trap rooms.

People stabbed in the face don't talk much
     Mostly they just gurgle
          And bleed
    -Black Mage
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1235 days, 23 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 16:02 (GMT -5)

I loooove trap rooms. Monsters always seem to set them off for me, and since tension rooms+Trap rooms are always combined if generated on the same level, thats amusing.

Plus they are a good source of spears or arrows

honzalinek
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

yes, Adom is against you.
But as I noticed, it is also against me.. and everyone. :-)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: