Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / I have ten minutes to kill.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

Disclaimer: i mean nothing critical against any country ... just despair ...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 18 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

iridia, are you sure that the nuclear bombs in WW2 were used to save lives?
Perhaps it was a test to see how much destructive power they had.
Or perhaps just to confirm what the scientists said about their power.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

We knew their destructive power quite well; they'd already dropped nuclear bombs on deserted islands and other uninhabited areas, long before Hiroshima. They even built houses and put them in the blast radius, to see what an atomic bomb would do to a city. The scientists weren't the only ones working on the bomb; the development of nuclear weapons was definitely a military affair.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

the idea behind the dropping was "if we drop it now, i don't know how much damage it'll do but it'll make them surrender. if they surrender we won't have to storm the beaches and fight our way inland, through cities, with japaneese soldiers fighting us to the death for every inch."

Also, a hell of a lot more people were killed in the firebombing of Japan than died from the nukes. The reason it made them surrender is they were used to seeing huge fleets of planes coming over and dropping tons of bombs. then one comes and drops one bomb and leaves a huge hole. think: a half dozen planes all carrying those doing regular bombing runs over japan. Not that that would likely have happened, but the thought of it worked...
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7314 days, 16 hours, 1 minute and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

The American military do seem to have a nasty habit of murdering innocent civilians. When the Germans first used the blitz to bomb our country, they targetted innocent civilians in the same way America did against Japan, without the public support the government just falls. The difference is America seems to think not only can they get away with murder but on massive nucluer scale.
WWII was only about 50 years ago, have they really learned that that type of warfare is entirely evil, or do they just see an easy and fast way to end to a war?
I feel despair that it's been done and I think humans are too stupid to have such weapons, we should all disarm at the same time and make love to our females instead.

LS
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

Actually you were right, iridia. And no, they are not small. I have no idea why I used that word. Though china and russia would be quite similar, without twisting belief too far. Perhaps I meant that india and pakistan are smaller.

And luke, first, EVERY military has a nasty habit of murdering civilians. Thats what they do. The american military has a stunningly clean record, considering what the scale of their operations.

Second, if no-one had any weapons, someone would make some. And then all those people happily making love in their neverland (ranch.. couldn't resist) would have their quality time ruined.

I agree with the sentiment. Life is too short to spend it fighting.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 9 hours, 59 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 at 01:37 (GMT -5)

it's a frustrating situation. there's too many people on this planet for everyone to disarm; someone's going to be an asshole and a)hide some or b) make some, and then the rest of us'll be in a world of hurt.

I don't understand some people. Assholes in particular. If I didn't do anything to you, why the hell do you have to do something to me? I mean sure, you took the money out of my wallet. I can understand that, I was an idiot and left it lying about. Free oprotunity. But why did you then throw it in the trashcan? Along with my pants? Now I'm way the hell up shit creek with no paddle and a leaky canoe. I'm short my DL, my ASB card (those two amount to all of my photo ID, and I have a flight saturday), 10 dollars, a pair of pants, and a lot of other stuff too. Jackass. If I ever find you I'm gonna shove my foot so far up you're ass you'll taste my sock.

Now to make that analagous to the conversation, consider this. Worldwide disarmament would be us all leaving our proverbial pants on the track field with our wallets and then going for a run. Some asshole's gonna come along and take our pants and throw 'em away after taking our "cash". Then we'll all come back from making love and find ourselves completely SOL.

Now I suppose a fair wish would be for every asshole in the world who can't or won't respect anyone other than "I" to become decent people. Now I'm not asking for world peace. Just for all the jackasses to leave everyone else alone, or better yet, play nice.

here's an experiment. As you go through your day say "Hi" to a few people you don't know. And i dont' mean a passing mumbled "hello", I mean "Hi there, how are you?" You will get strange looks. Gaurenteed. If you don't you're lucky and you should probably try to get to know this person because they're rare. Anyways my point is: what is so wierd about saying "Hi, how are you?" to someone you dont know? It's a greeting. It expresses concern over the well-being of your fellow human being. Is there somethign wrong with that? If i could have my way noone would ever be unhappy. Won't happen with our current mentality though. *shrug* I'm going off task. It's late and i'm tired.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6673 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

First, i wish to get 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 New wishes and then ill wish money money and more money. Then i wish that jade will be completed tomorrow =D

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7314 days, 16 hours, 1 minute and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 20:21 (GMT -5)

Yeah, your right, we have to change the very essence of human nature to have a massive disarming process. How many generations do you think that will take? When all the fighting stops and there seems to be no more wars anywhere we'll have a golden moment of realisation that we're almost there. I hope I'm still alive.
Good points apart from:
"The american military has a stunningly clean record, considering what the scale of their operations"
lol, no way - been reading much about the Iraq war? They've killed more civilians than enemies. They're a mess when it comes down to professional combat. True combat is when you overcome the enemy without even killing anyone. Maybe my standards are way too high I guess.

LS
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 00:57 (GMT -5)

yup, use mindcrafters or bards XD
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 at 21:57 (GMT -5)

luke, I'm not american. I have no american relatives. My ancestry is scottish. I'm also a political science student. I'm both well informed and hopefully unbiased. The bad press the american military gets seems mostly just that.. the media loves reporting tragedies.

However, I have to agree with you that the iraq war doesn't seem to be going very well for anyone. A book crammed with good intentions does not a book of wisdom make, and killing off your allies and the people you are trying to liberate does not win hearts and minds.
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 at 22:00 (GMT -5)

I'd also like to note that without the americans good intentions, their dedication to what is basically a moral code of good and honor, their involvement on many occassions on the side of the oppressed, the world would be a much sadder place. I will not stand by and leave unanswered any claims to the contrary.

Sometimes, fighting is just.
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 at 23:22 (GMT -5)

Some people like a meal raw, some prefer 50% cooked ... How can a country interfere with other countries' business in such frequency and extention?

Don't the developing countries have rights to grow up on their own?

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 4/11/2004 at 23:32 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 01:05 (GMT -5)

America just wanted to "help" a little.
But Usa interfered with Irak because a potential threat to them. In the same situation, I would do the same.
For the Horde!
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7304 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 09:55 (GMT -5)

I certainly don't want to turn this into another discussion about certain right-wing american politicans whose fathers had been president and had had a war agains a certain small country and themselves had a war with a certain small country. I'm not going to make any snide remarks abotu the fact that a certain australian politian thinks that the best way to survive is to suck up to a certain american politian, and that that american politician knows this and tries to use australian military to do his dirty work for him, or that the certain small country happens to have extremely rich oil reserves and that the certain american politican has no jujstificatian for going to war with that country except for information which he can't reveal, or even reveal how he got it, or that it is very possible that he only went to war because of those oil reserves.

Not saying nothing about that, no.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

Some people prefer their people living in poverty, while the ruling elite and their favourites grow fat. Some people prefer murder, torture, propaganda and indoctrination as acceptable political tools.

America doesn't burst into other countries and tell them that they should make omelettes with two eggs, not three.

And I note again that without american intervention in Germany, we would all be speaking either japanese, german or italian. Without american intervention in Kosovo, there would be millions of dead, and a dictator rising in power.

How quickly we forget.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/15/2004 at 00:49 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

I think americans will have to move into Kosovo soon
For the Horde!
Portrait
Danielle
Registered user
Queen of Teryino

Last page view:

7147 days, 20 hours, 7 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 09:42 (GMT -5)

I wish that the world and all of space around it was 500% larger, poprtionatly so that it wouldnt desync the universe.. and that all the natural resources of the earth were replenished.. and i think thats it..
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

If it were six times as large, you could wander for days without seeing anyone.
Portrait
Annonymous
Registered user
USSR-obsessed Mad Science Geek

Last page view:

5891 days, 12 hours and 33 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

Eternal happiness for the world
You load your crossbow with ammo of Iridia slaying. You hit Iridia exactly and slay her. You a thundering voice in your head booms "THOU SHALT NOT SLAY THE GREAT MODERATOR!!!. YE SHALL PAY FOR THIS INSOLENCE!!!" Suddenly Jan Erik appears! You are hit by Jan Erik's arrow of banning! You die...
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6673 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

eternal threads ?
<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: