Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Any advice?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Arcam
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

I'm playing a lvl 20 high elven priest. He's crowned as lawful champion, done the graveyard, done keethrax, gremlin cave, all the dwarven elder quests, gotten the ring of the high kings.

The thing is, I've never gotten this far before and is kinda wondering what to do next. Should I go further down Caverns of chaos or is there something suitable to do up in the wilderness stil? Any of you more experienced players who has got any advice on what to do next?

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3907 days, 6 hours, 8 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

If you have fire resistance/Immunity and a way to protect your stuff then you could try out the ToEF, but I would recommend that you do the water temple first.

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5832 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

If you think you have enough time (preferably some 40 days before 90d limit, or so), then you should go for a dive in ID and do a couple of levels... Dive to some I:50 or so (remember to leave the si's somewhere on the surface) and after that, if you have climbing at 100, go to rift. it's also good to have stealth @ 100, because then you will get the weird tome. Also, you could go to the bug temple and bolt the buggies... but beware of getting between 2 of them. After those I'd do a dive in CoC and finish the game.

But hey, have you even visited dark forge? If not, go there.

Arcam
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

Ok, thanks for the advice. I haven't done Darkforge yet, had a hard time hurting the golems.... need a better weapon I guess(use the sword of nonnak)

Btw, where is the bug temple?
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

What you need to decide now is whether or not you want to save Khelavaster.
If you don't, go clear out the water temple, and go down to the flame barrier before you do anything else, all that stuff is pretty easy (just don't forget about the banshee!)
If you do on the other hand (never a bad idea to try) then Darkforge is definately your best bet, drain the pools until you get a wish --> AOLS.
In my experience there are two good ways of killing those nasty golems - weapons of penetration/phase daggers (slice through that 40ish pv) and the Lightning ball spell, which will scrap them no problem. Either way, be careful still, they're always capable of doing lots and lots of damage no matter your equipment.
If you have neither of the above, the ID is your best bet, like Maastonakki said. I wouldn't advise going down to ID:50 at your tender clvl though, seems horribly risky.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

the bug temple is at north west, but you can't enter it before you have 100 deaths in your hi-score... and if you can deal 35+ dmg with berserk tactics (they usually have pv around that), DF shouldn't be a huge problem... assuming you have something to heal yourself...
Well, another good thing to do would be going in the cavernous levels at the ToTHK, exp some levels there and then go to ToEF or do something else mentioned at my last post.
Don't be over-scared about the ToEF... it's a cake walk, with RoI or without RoI (just put your urnable stuff at backpack), if you can deal some 30-50dmg/turn. Invisibility is a boon there... Oh, not to mention, the ACW bolts pretty hard, so alertness is a great thing to have there (not necessary). Have a hp above 250~ and ToEF should go easily (and ofcourse meanings of digging & fireproof blankets). Arr... willpower is also good at there, since he does confuse you.

Okay this post is getting way too long so I'll just call it a night.

Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7138 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

To my taste, invisibility sucks in Elemental Temples. I don't like the game "try to line up all the monsters that don't care much about you". Melee characters seem to find it easier, too, when their current target doesn't tend to wander around aimlessly, quickly becoming lost in hordes of indistinguishable monsters that just keep moving.

Better to have them all in one place and unleash some nasty ball spell on as much of them as possible.

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 23:45 (GMT -5)

yes, that is a possibility... invisibility is good there, because the player really doesn't have to battle but the chaos servants and ACW, and since ACW can get cocky from time to time, it's good to be sure of your survival, and invisibility increases your chances.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 02:16 (GMT -5)

Is adamantium and eternium the only metals that don't get destroyed by head?

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3608 days, 10 hours, 14 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

what is head?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 03:50 (GMT -5)

Heat, I assume. In answer to your question, I think I recall someone reporting an eternium item melting in the ToEF. I've never gone in there without a =oI though, so I wouldn't know.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6858 days, 4 hours, 49 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 04:01 (GMT -5)

I think mithril also is safe from the heat.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 05:18 (GMT -5)

Yeas I meant heat

Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Maastonakki, I dunno, ACW never was too hard on me. Either ice spells or some dragon slayers always seemed to be around when I needed them. And with Wyrmlance at hands it's actually even possible to melee the thing to death.

Alex, RoIs actually fail sometimes. Even two blessed RoIs didn't save my longbow of accuracy during my last run through ToEF.

Btw, there was quite a funny encounter on a second level of ToEF - a tension room full of water demons :-) Whoa, I think there should've been some code to prevent such a hilarious possibilities... At least they should've died horrible death in all those flames... :-)

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

wtf "actually possible to melee it.." I have meleed it some 10 times and only once from a range.... :P (might be more meleed times, can't really remember how many times i have died after ToEF, but 5 wins.)

Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 05:54 (GMT -5)

Uh oh, I remember that guy in HoF who went: "Corruption?.. wtf is that corruption you guys keep talking about?" ;-))) No, really, I wouldn't want to melee it without some nice dragonslayer in my hand... a couple of crits and you've got yourself horns, hooves and probably a tail :-)

Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 06:21 (GMT -5)

I had once a funny incident in ToEF. I had almost cleared the temple area when I saw a glimpse of the ACW. I took few steps backwards into the corridor I had made. Then I waited for the ACW to come...
It was about 5 blocks away from me and... PUFF! Here comes the greater water elemental carrying me a rune-covered trident. I was like: Well, this might help a bit. I equipped the trident, changed tactics to berserk, and rushed like a madman. With one single hit I slayed my fearsome enemy. Poor Wyrmie... He didn't stand a chance...
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 07:50 (GMT -5)

meleeing acw usually takes less than 10 turns, assuming he hits you 50% of the time you still wont get much corruption... maybe one effect.

Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 08:43 (GMT -5)

Oh, one effect is BIG. If it's a full effect, of course, i.e. gaining some full 1000 points of corruption. Btw, that's quite an interesting info that I'd be happy to see - the quantitation of the effects from those corrupting attacks. How much cp do you gain from being hit by a corrupting creature? is it in single digits, in tens or in hundreds? Maybe someone knows that?

Avoiding unnecessary corruption is especially important for me, I'm a real slow player, so I'm usually way beyound that 90-days limit when I first reach those highly corrupting areas... Not getting that one corruption from ACW could mean a difference between becoming a WMoPC or not.

Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I'd like to know the amount of corruption added by a hit too... not that it's important, since I usually have no probs with corruption with my normal winning characters, haven't tried an ultra yet so can't comment about that.

Anyway, if mystician doesn't give you scrolls, you can't save khelly, you don't have 100 stealth/climbing for weird tome, you simply can't take the bug temple, it's still possible to complete the game without being transformed in to some purple j... I have experience about this, too! Only one SoCR (hmv) and one PoCC (ACW), and he still closed the gate and won the game, ofcourse there was this unicorn quest, which he did before mana temple.. anyway, I'm drunk, so go touch yourself all!

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

Drunk? Again? Geez...

jätkähän se joka viikonloppu...
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

It's my way of life.

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

:)
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6729 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

maastonakki actually melees bug temple? sick puppy. You'd have to have tons of hp or dv>200. _Healthy_ ways are missiles, bolts and big balls ;)

And my point was...
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

nah... it's enough if you have 500hp~ (fighter classes don't have a problem there) and a melee wpn which kills the bugs in one or two hit... fast regeneration is also a good thing to have..

Btw, there really aren't that many bugs to kill if you know which bugs aren't necessary to kill :E

btw. where did you learn that i melee it? (because i usually do) Since i didn't mention it in this thread...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2004 at 08:04 (GMT -5) by Maastonakki]
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 18:50 (GMT -5)

Going back not to the original topic, but closer: I've never had mithril melt, and once I accidentally left bracers of regeneration on and they didn't melt either.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 at 14:35 (GMT -5)

I too have never had mithril melt...

Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7049 days, 11 hours, 57 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

i have a Levis belt

the greater moloch equips the hulking armor

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: