Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Necromancer Play

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 at 07:06 (GMT -5)

hello guys, i currently have a level 15 high elf necro with level 7 unarmed combat(preparation for shadow touch) and a girdle of giant strength(from a wish). my mana stat is 25 and fluctuating(because of necromancy). this is my first nec who actually looks like he has a chance, do you guys have any tips for necromancer play? should i spell the bosses to death or get a good slave to kill them? i'm currently going solo to train my unarmed and to get exp. i got a spellbook of petrification and i managed to petrify Mr Yergius, the thieves master after i realized i had got to L+ after joining the club and before getting trap detection... now i have a nice statue souvenir at my house i took over from him, heh.

Have you beaten the game with a necromancer before?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6520 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

I haven't won yet but my best character so far was a necromancer (human male level 32). I actually didn't use my slaves all that much until late on. I used bolt spells for the orb guardians (of course, you can't take slaves into the ToEF. Not sure if a fire giant slave would be immune to fire) Mostly I played him just like a normal wizard with a few different abilities. Speaking of which, you're going to have a tough time as a lawful if you want to use shadow touch - it's a chaotic act. My guy was N=, and even born under Tree sign (harder to change alignment) and wearing a blessed amulet of balance I had to work quite hard to keep myself away from CN when creating slaves (I didn't use shadow touch).
Oh, and when I said 'until late on', I meant until you get to create skeleton warriors (about level 28 iirc). Those guys totally rock. Most of the things you can make before that are a bit crap. As far as corpses go, if you can find quickling (lord/king) corpses use those, they're excellent. If you can't, troll corpses are pretty good too, as they get fast hp regeneration.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

thanks lots alex!

hm... should i consider changing to C- then? i've already donated 20k+ to the lawful god. i do believe shadow touch is quite good, IIRC it steals 100% of the damage dealt, which is pretty killer stuff. and what's up with skele warriors? are their stats just better or what? what about ghost lords(or are they shadow lords) and other stuff
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 at 05:27 (GMT -5)

If you want to use shadow touch for all your melee, you don't really have a choice but to change to chaotic alignment. If your piety level is very high with the lawful god make sure you get a precrowning or two first, then make the change. Be sure there's a chaotic altar handy though.
As for skeleton warriors, yeah, they're just tough and hit hard and often. Before them, ghuls are ok cause they can paralyse, and corpse fiends aren't too bad either. I didn't really experiment a lot with shadows/wights/wraiths all that much, but I don't think their stat draining abilities work against monsters, plus they die easily and they seem to have a pitiful to-hit bonus. Skeltons and zombies are utterly useless, and mummies are crap too because they'll get annihilated by the first fire-using enemy you find.
I didn't live long enough to use ghosts, spectres, vampires, shadow lords or liches. I imagine they're pretty hot stuff, especially liches.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3611 days, 15 hours, 27 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 at 05:32 (GMT -5)

necrolord and Alex, can you write a "walkthrough" about your chars. What monsters did you kill first, what month, what talents, what quests, what lv did you dive in the SMC, etc.
For the Horde!
Captain Crunch
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 at 05:48 (GMT -5)

I once played the game through (w/ slight savescumming) w/ a necro just to see a quickling bard lich under my command. Sure it was sick quick, but IMO a quickling bard vampire would've been MUCH better.. ;-)
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 at 23:03 (GMT -5)

Larrack has had a crowned lawful necromancer who used shadow touch.

Don't do it. Its not worth it :)

Use spells for the necromancer. Don't bother training your undead, because they gain experience from you anyway. Use them as last ditch things.. to guard you when wounded, using them against item destroyers, annoying monsters, etc etc.

You'd have to be crazy to send a good undead servant into melee with a boss. The boss will nine times out of ten, tear them to shreds. Thats why they're known as bosses. Use spells.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 03:43 (GMT -5)

are bosses orb guardians and unique NPC's?
For the Horde!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5676 days, 7 hours, 59 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

Yeah, he probably meant orb guardians.

Create slaves in the SMC if possible, that way they'll be created about twice as experienced as you are, just like other monsters there. Best slaves are made from some monster that regenerates, as nothing is more annoying than to wait for companions/slaves to heal themselves naturally, it takes hundreds of turns.

Oh yeah, when you get your char to lvl 50, wear stuff that boosts your tougness over 10. This way you'll be almost invincible, you won't die if your hp gets reduced to 0. You can still die of old age, being sacrificed and maybe some other stuff. Keeping this in mind, gnomes might be good necromancers as they are IIRC the fastest class to level up. They also are good spellcasters with good mana.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2004 at 15:11 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

I like gnomish priest. they have detect item status. I love that skill
For the Horde!
necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

i have this new cool trick for getting humanoid corpses at a good constant rate(besides wilderness encounters cause i don't seem to be finding any mass gnolls or hobgoblins). go to the mad minstrel's place and follow him around. eventually, a message saying something like "the mad minstrel chuckles evily and drops a *foo* corpse". about two-thirds of the time, the corpse will be a humanoid one(orc/goblin/hobgoblin). make slaves out of these corpses and continue this process until you have lots of slaves(about 15). then slowly box your slaves around the mad minstrel, leaving two spaces, one for the minstrel and one empty, before having all your slaves "w"ait. the minstrel should be stuck in the two spaces, peacefully generating corpses for you to animate. to collect the corpses, move into a slave and then into the empty space, pick up the corpse(s) and exchange places with your stationary slave that you displaced earlier with ":S". you should have the corpses ready for animation and have the minstrel still locked in creating corpses for you. *i am so evil*

one more question, do the "temporal mass raise" skills have any use? the necro-class-specific ones where you raise all corpses in sight as ghuls/wraiths.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3767 days, 21 hours, 48 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

They're emergency skills, mostly. Like if you're in serious trouble and can't get out of it, you can drop a bunch of corpses and animate them, have them create a distraction while you escape.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 08:43 (GMT -5)

Mewto, I have a .flg for my necromancer back at school, name of Carenomir. I'll post it to the HOF when I finish editing it (won't be for some time though)

Egg King
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

Second win was with a dark elven necro:) Didnt use slaves at all(Its all about frost bolt in my world:)
I play them very much like a wizard but more evil:)
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

Alex. Thankssss. I hope you'll post it soon
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: