Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Hey Ferret!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7130 days, 13 hours, 14 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 at 18:54 (GMT -5)

Share some of your prized Tao on playing mindcrafters, especially human ones :-) I've been playing them a bit, started in a Dragon, took all of the St/To enhancers, still they die like kobolds :-) My best one was precrowned with those bracers (first time I'm seeing them...), but mixed vault on PC: 6 killed him... greater mimic, to be exact, but stone golem and acid vortices helped, too. And that's an exception, most of them get their ass kicked somewhere in VD... (And Kranach. Don't forget that Kranach guy.)

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5824 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 at 19:09 (GMT -5)

If you happen to get something good, be aware that the RNG is preparing a revenge upon you... this might be paranoid, but most of adomers think like meh so.. (I mean about that RNG 'evility')

Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

Yeah, and vice versa. If you manage to survive something enormously stinkish - look out for that WoWi or the robes of resistance in a minor orc vault...

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

5869 days, 10 hours, 35 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

Ok, I've got a char in the hall of fame called ferret with a story with a few tips but here are some others.

From my experience, mindcrafts are only hard to keep alive till they reach levl 15 where they learn telecenitic blast. After that they get a lot easeir as they can deal with anything 'cept ghosts and the anchient stone beast (or Amdy!).

So here is my exact method for the early game, this is what i use all the time unless i find SLB early then i'll often go to the ID early since the 90 day limit should not be a threat anymore.

1) Go to terinyo, send a confusion blast off the map (to train conc.) get the healer and puppy quest and leave.

2) Go to hole-in-the-wall and learn pickpockets and stack all the items in the shop on one square. Also if you start with a PoI drink it to steal whatevers in the shop (after learning pickpockets!) Also talk to the crime lord to get quests.

3) Go to small cave and get blanket and down stairs. This is the hardest bit with a mindcrafter, and 80% of mine die trying this. (PC's which survive this are promising)

4) Do the village dungeon, get lucky (neutral altar) if one generated, you should be able to convert if you sac a monster (at level 4-7 ish), but make sure your neutral. Kill the healer, but first confused him, this lowers the alignment drop. You can confuse none hostile monsters and pickpocket them for no allignment drop this way - probably a bug)

5) Go back to hole in the wall, get stethascope and scalpel, kill the crimelord - should get you above 3500 gold pieces, then learn detect traps, train pickpocts (theoretical) if you can afford it and sell junk.

6) I leave the puppy cave for now, and go to the CoC because i like my geomology skill to be high first because of the ants.I head straight east (Edit: I mean west!) from crime town across the river cos i think its safer this way and you may discover the underwater cave. Go to dwarf town and get the two quests. Try and do the first one while gathering morgia and marillon from big room or any other herb level. (later spenseweed and stomfilla is most important)

7) Do fight 19 of the arena, get barbarian quest, train pickpocts some more (with theif) and head to puppy cave, let the ants make loads of gems for you and do the quest, (I normally save the corpse for an allignment boost later).

8)Head down the UD, get wand from assasins guild to get through small cave). Get to HMW and dip wand in booze to get the SoCR, sell junk and kill prison members (For fun :) )

9) Now i get the wand of fireballs from the dwarf and do the pyramid (Gather herbs and level till your level 16 and have 25,25,25 in will,tou and dex). I also drop off any stat potions and cure curruption items off at the barbarians glade and lure the brbarian to some other place so he dont nick em!.

10) Bless the ankh and wear the wrapping,and finsih off the dwarfen quests. Eat devils rose and train will to 28, dex and tou to 30 while gathering stomfillla and spenseweeds. You should have pickpockets at 100 by now.

11) Do the graveyard pickpocketing from everyone wearing the ankh. You should find some decent items here. If you find a wish, makesure you get SLB before anything else. I never drink from pools so RoDS or WoW are my only source of wishes

12) After this i go back to the CoC and get the reward. And now i'm normally in need of essential itmes (water, scrolls of identify etc) so i grab the phlial and some fluff balls from gremlin cave an farm gremlins on CoC 9, or even DH if i'm feeling ptretty tough. After about 1500 gremlins you should have all the essential items you want and maybe even pickpocketed wishes,AoLS or preserver if your lucky!

After all this you should be around lev 18 and pretty much feeling invincible. Darkforge and TotHK are pretty straight forward after this - then you have the tower which can be tough but you should have RoI from the gremlin trick by this point (And about 100 blessed spensweeds).

Hope that helps for the early game, if i didn't make myself clear at some points it's cos i'm a bit drunk and i'll try and explain tomorrow :p

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/16/2004 at 19:50 (GMT -5) by Ferret]
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

5869 days, 10 hours, 35 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 at 19:54 (GMT -5)

Ooh yeah, my talents go in this order - alert, miser, treasure hunter, the three speed ones, then either pp boosters or carrying capacity if i've no girdle of carring.

Edit: I never take the kranach quest aswell, its just too hard. My post above also deals mainly for human or drakling races but works just aswell for other races - just some beggers may need to be kiled in order to get neutral (if lawful) or dont kill the healer (if chaotic) initiallly.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/16/2004 at 20:03 (GMT -5) by Ferret]
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6850 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 07:42 (GMT -5)

Bah, even with 27 willpower I couldn't even kill a dark elven warrrior. It resisted mental blast all the time. (I was in VD and I was lvl 9)
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

Thanks, Ferret :-) I've read that story (a couple of times, actually), but this was even more helpful.

> mindcrafts are only hard to keep alive till they reach levl 15 where they learn telecenitic blast

Well, that's the point, my best one only reached Clvl 13, and second best was Clvl 14, and actually managed to cross some 30 squares of horizontal river on PC: 4 (there was an island in the middle... full of claw bugs), but some puny clay golem on PC: 5 finished him off.

Btw, Kranach is easy if you happen to get smth like wand of fire or wand of acid at the beginning...

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

Ferret, your point 8, you say empty the prison just for fun... well, I once got SLB in there, if you'll believe it.

And yeah, the RNG is much too fair. I'm starting to find artifacts in lesser vaults all the time now, but I've never got a wish from a pool, EVER. I think I'd rather have it the other way around.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 4 hours, 39 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

I never find unguaranteed artifacts :(

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7312 days, 21 hours, 59 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 19:32 (GMT -5)

you didn't get the 'Truely Exciting' vault with your Beastfighter?
that sucks...

What do you Wish for?_
NMBLNG
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafters need 3 things before lv 6: A good sheild, a good weapon, and a good suit of armor. Confuse monsters and kill them in melee. Don't be afraid to run from battles and come back later. Once you get Mind blast, you can take on most monsters. But they really need to be well skilled in a weapon. Preferably an undead-slayer.

Mind wave is VERY NICE. I believe it is has the greatest range of ALL ball type spells. You can go in the wilderness and level up using it.

That's all I can think of, aside from being very cautious.
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6609 days, 12 hours, 27 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 05:50 (GMT -5)

Drakeling mindcrafters are pretty easy to keep alive in early game. Spitting acid is so very helpful. Just keep the PC well fed and he can easily deal with the Kranach gang and even Rehetep and all his friends.
And one should not forget about the cheap confusion spells and make use of them when surrounded or otherwise wanting to buy some time.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: