Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Adom on a Laptop?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Hubris
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

I'm about to buy a laptop computer, and I was just wondering if anyone's ever played Adom on a laptop.

Without the numeric keypad I might not be able to play (or alternatively, move diagonally).

I guess I could just use the standard numbers (above qwertyuio and p) but that would be awkward.

Anybody have any experience with this?

The_CyberShadow
Registered user
Loading l33t animation...

Last page view:

6294 days, 20 hours, 21 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

I wrote a keyboard driver that emulates the numeric keypad. I press Ctrl+Alt+[qweasdzxc] to emulate the corresponding keys.
I can upload it if you like.

KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6469 days, 8 hours, 3 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

Most laptops overlay the numeric keypad on other 'normal' keys and you use the function button to make use of them. On all the laptop keyboards I've seen, the numeric keypad is on the right side of the keyboard over the (uio)(jkl)(nm,) keys and are usually purple or pink (or whatever color your function key happens to be) in color while the standard key is white. So it's still there, just in a differnt format. But you probably already knew that.
Either way you use the numbers it will still take some major getting used to, whether you use the overlayed keypad or the standard top row numbers. I've tried it, and I know I had some blunders hitting the wrong key at the wrong time and doing something stupid because of it. But I do that on the 'regular' PC anyway, so it's probably just me.

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

i am using laptop ...

this is a bit awkward ... i use right hand to type up down left right arrows while fighting, and then right hand stays at the topmost row of the keyboard to type the diagonal keys (1, 3, 7, 9) ... when using walking command "w", left hand is responsible for 1, 2, 3, 4, right hand 6, 7, 8, 9 ...

so cumbersome XD
Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

You'll get used to playing with numbers 1-9... after a few fatal mistakes. :)

Been there, done that. Sometimes I find myself playing with numbers 1-9 without realizing I've got numpad in this other keyboard. :)
Hubris
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

Well, hopefully there will be a finesse key that will work. If not, I'll just adapt.

It might improve my game to slow down a bit anyways.
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6617 days, 16 hours, 5 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 at 08:04 (GMT -5)

I connected an external keyboard to my laptop. So I can lean back in my chair with the keyboard on my lap and play comfortably.
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5596 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

You can also get USB numpads at most computer stores if youre having a real hard time withoput one. I think they sell for about $10 or so

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: