Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / More gremlin trick stuff

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

In anticipation of the questions this will get, the gremlin trick is bringing fluff balls to a different dungeon, making water traps, and having gremlins multiply like crazy, while you pickpocket and kill them for loot.

Now, the question: According to the GB, the dwarven graveyard is non-corrupting. And according to personal experience, you get really good loot there, especially on the top level. (I got a WoW once, but with 0 charges.) So is there any way to get water traps up there? Maybe if you used a wand of destruction on the walls and made a water trap on the rubble... I dunno.

If it's not possible, does the basement in the graveyard get better loot than UD:8 or D:9?
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6528 days, 2 hours, 32 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 03:59 (GMT -5)

OK, i've never made a trap before, so i could very well be very wrong:
but aren't there wands of trap creation that create a random trap. So if you just try often enough you should eventually have a water trap. Or don't those wands make water traps?

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5622 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

Remember: trap type is determined by its location. Zapping the wand at correct spot should well create a water trap.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.

The_CyberShadow
Registered user
Loading l33t animation...

Last page view:

6294 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

You can't create traps over grass, AFAIK.

The quality of the items depends of the level's danger value. You can find that using AdomBot's level editor.

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 05:21 (GMT -5)

Cybershadow: just thought of something. This may be spoily so...

Spoiler

From what I have read in RGRA it is possible to create just any trap by using a blanket over a pit. If the standard trap order is valid in these self-created traps as well it should be possible to create traps on grass by first digging a pit and then using a blanket on it.

Would it work ?

J.

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

I just tested it, and... yes it does work. This means that the dwarven graveyard is the new best place to use the gremlin trick, since it's completely non corruption, easily accessable, and you can get highly valuable items there, including lots of eternium, and even WoW.

There's just one problem... that trick was probably only supposed to be able to make covered pit traps, don't you think? Sure, it can make all traps, but no other type makes any sense. So, using that trick would kind of be taking advantage of a bug, eh? The question is: Is is morally and ethically okay to use that trick, or would doing so be considered cheating?
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 at 01:10 (GMT -5)

Some guy: Cheating ? No, I don't think so. I'd rather say it's abusing a (mis)feature of the game. Just like the bug place was easily (and unbalancingly) abusable in 1.0.0. TB will probably remove this abuse in the future version of ADOM so enjoy the benefits while you can...

Zach
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

How you guys create water traps? wand of trap creation sure, but any other way?
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3608 days, 8 hours, 47 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

Read what The Real J. wrote in the dark area.
For the Horde!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 1 hour, 19 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

What's the point of not being able to create traps on grass in the first place? Doing some fancy stuff to get around this silly problem isn't cheating IMO.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

Well... you would think that acid and water traps would drop their respective liquids from above. Stone block traps definitely drop stuff from above. That's probably why you're not supposed to make traps on grass, because that would create mysterious floating rocks/plumbing.

Hey, I thought of another good place for this trick, but it depends on a couple of ifs. IF killer bugs and greater claw bugs stop spawning completely after you've broken the BUGCAV statues, in the BUGWIL, and IF the BUGWIL is noncorrupting, then that would be a good spot. I remember getting a potion of education there so it must have a pretty high danger level.

And I've finally got gremlins to the graveyard. I haven't got anything spectacular yet, but I might have got an AoLS from one of the first gremlins (steel, but unidentified). What can an AoLS be besides steel and golden? My wizard went though the whole game without finding an AoLS, but got steel and golden amulets.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 1 hour, 4 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

Finding one high level item somewhere doesn't prove anything. I found an AoLS in VD:1 once.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6965 days, 10 hours, 24 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 05:01 (GMT -5)

There is some background corruption in the BUGWIL. I don't know how much, though. I don't think breaking the statues completely stops the bug generation in BUGWIL either.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 06:58 (GMT -5)

Some guy, about the traps: you're using a MAGICAL wand to create the traps, so why wouldn't the traps be magical, and have their contents(acid, water, big rock) magically appear and hurt the victim?

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5034 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 08:36 (GMT -5)

having it on the great big open space of the dwarven graveyard could get out of control though, yeah?

[edit]
ok, forgot that there's only one water trap. and to be 100% safe, you could always enclose an area with locked doors to prevent gremlins from overrunning the place.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/2/2004 at 08:40 (GMT -5) by Taz]
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

Alex: But WoW and eternium CAN be generated there, unlike UD:8 or D:9. I haven't got WoW yet, but I've got a couple eternium things.

Mopgoblin: Okay, nevermind about BUGWIL then.

J.: Except I used a non-magical plain blanket and pit to create the traps... yeah whatever.

Taz: I often run out of gremlins to kill and have to chase one over to the traps, and as they level they evade traps more and more it seems, so I can escape pretty easily when the need arises. I'm killing gremlins from the doorway in the centre building, and the closest water traps I can make to that are out of LOS, which also helps with the escape route.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

Okay, for those who want proof that this is a good place for the gremlin trick, I have to admit that I didn't get any WoW, but... I got 2 rings of djinni summoning, a ring of regen, a RoI (already had two, though, and I usually don't use them) many assorted stat potions, 2 crystals of knowledge, and thirty potions of water, which means I'm good for the game. Oh yeah, and I got an AoLS from one of the first gremlins.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 1 hour, 4 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 at 10:34 (GMT -5)

Sorry for being dumb and all, but I still don't quite see how this works out. Could someone post a screenshot with the water trap(s) indicated? thanks

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

Some guy, my logic was this: you're supposed to be able to create magic traps using a magic wand, but as you're not, it's not cheating to go around this by taking advantage of a bug.

Might not have been very clear, but I was trying to imply that.

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

I don't suppose there's some code like [monospaced] [/monospaced] is there? Otherwise I don't think a screenie would work. But I'll try drawing something...
______^
_____^_
###_###
#__0__#
#_###_#

grass = _
wall = #
me = 0
trap = ^

or maybe the traps are one square over to the right... anyways, they're not in LOS so the gremlins don't walk over the traps constantly, mostly just when I go out and lure a couple more, meaning I can't be overrun. Very nice.

J.: Don't worry about it, I got ya.

This guy just got 291 in the ToEF after killing the ACW. Fortunately, I have a backup from just before the tower, and nothing like a surge of power has happened.
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6398 days, 14 hours, 41 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:17 (GMT -5)

J. and Some Guy: Couldn't water and acid traps be pools of water and acid? Just a thought...

and someguy, wouldn't the level get overrun buy gremlins and you would never get out?

"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
Danielle unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:51 (GMT -5)

Korn, the acid trap states "acid pouirs from above' or somethign similar, the water is fine, as the message states that a blast of water fires from underneath you.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5034 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 01:19 (GMT -5)

i hope this works, been a while since i tried it.
(check the formating help guide, it's right next to the comment box)

also, wouldn't a water trap be generated right where you're standing?

......^
.....^.
###.###
#..@..#
#.###.#

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:47 (GMT -5)

No... because the drawing isn't accurate. I didn't want to go back to the graveyard to check. Anyways, I never got surrounded by gremlins because I was far enough from the traps, I always had an escape route because the gremlins didn't walk over the traps too much because they were out of LOS. It all just kind of worked out. Don't worry about the specifics.

An assignment for the interested reader: try it yourself.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: