Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / How often do you pickpocket?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Hankjim
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

I used to pickpocket at every opportunity in the hopes of getting all those extra stat raising potions. But now I'm not so sure, since it wastes a lot of turns and very rarely turns up anything useful. I'm just wondering how the more knowledgeable ADOM players view pickpocketing and how often they use it.

Thanks,
Hankjim
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

19 hours, 17 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 at 21:26 (GMT -5)

I pickpocket just about every humanoid I encounter up untill I can join the thieves guild. After joining I always work to convert back to lwfull though so I hardly ever use it after that.

Sure you can always pickpocket a lot and still be lawfull, but I just plain forget about it after a while...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7933 days, 22 hours, 52 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 at 20:08 (GMT -5)

I always use the hurthling as a thief because they really are sneaky!

Sengoku
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

I tend to pickpocket as much as I can. After all, apparently it's not considered very chaotic (at least for neutrals that I usually play) and sometimes one can get quite good items, like with my current character (gray elven priest) who managed to pickpocket Whirlwind from a monster (a goblin rockthrower IIRC)...

BTW Is Whirlwind generally considered useful ? At least for now it feels pretty nice.
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

My hurthling has heeded your advise J and will now use his most proficient skill more often now.
Only it did seem to effect my law status quite a lot, especially when they found out and turned angry!

Sengoku
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

Sengoku: Yeah, it might be that Lawfuls are affected more by pickpocketing. Though I can usually compensate the alignment loss pretty well by offering peace to panicking monsters (and possibly healing them after they accept the peace offer)

As for that GE Priest who pickpocketed Whirlwind. I recently lost him (mostly due to my own stupidity). I had just released Griff's soul and decided to rob some graves to get some better equipment. First "great treasures" grave let out a Master Lich that summoned some Wights. No problem - my char had pretty good DV and the wights coudn't hurt him. Couple of high-level Dispel Undeads took care of the ML and the wights followed quickly. Then I collected the treasure and decided to get some more (had only 1 blessed SoI). Next "great treasures" grave... zap WoD - Emperor Lich pops out and zaps Jackal (named after first kill - for courage) with death ray - You die... Didn't even have time to react. YASD...
Akron
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 06:27 (GMT -5)

I pickpocketed Bracers of War in the dwarven graveyard. I think it was a zombie or skeleton which gave those bracers. Yeah, I couldn't believe it when game told "You stole shining silver bracers!".

I have also got lots of PoGAs and other very good stuff. Sure it wastes lot of turns and if you are playing ADOM just because you want the highest score possible maybe then you should use pickpocketing that much. But who wants to play ADOM just for high score?
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 07:17 (GMT -5)

It would seem that the results of pickpocketing are somewhat dependent on location. I've also got pretty nifty items when I've pickpocketed in the dwarwen graveyard.

About graverobbery: Has anyone here actually got anything GOOD from robbing those "Great treasures blah blah..." graves ? I've tried it several times and not one time I have got anything good, no oustanding armor, no nice weapons, nothing neat. And considering the stat loss etc. that results from those liches and their cohorts it doesn't seem worth the bother. Or am I just extremely unlucky ? IIRC I was Doomed then, if that matters.

BTW Is it just me or is dual-wielding daggers a great way to get dagger skill-marks real quick ? I tried dual-wielding daggers (Bloody dagger-crystal dagger) while gaining spells and levels with a new chat in the ID and it didn't take long to gain some 500 skill points.
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

Sengoku: If you are worried about your alignment I have found a quick way to improve it - healing your pets. I found that out by accident when playing a human priest. I tamed a cave bear with music (I was then N=) and had it between me and some spiders and bees. I kept casting Cure Light Wounds at it when it got injured to save myself from hassle of battling. I didn't pay attention to my alignment for a while but when I next looked at my alignment it was L - Oops ! Good thing I wasn't crowned yet...
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

Well being a Hurthling Thief I don't have a healing spell yet. But I have a greater titan that I obtained by reading a Blessed SoFS on DH1.
I was thinking about wearing an Amulet of Balance when I come accross one.

Sengoku
The Runemaster
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

Playing a thief in a game that is such a macho game can prove quite interesting.
The Runemaster
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 at 12:06 (GMT -5)

Sorry about the typo.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: