Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / php vs asp

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

why don't you write these forums with PHP, Jan...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 8 hours, 54 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

Because when I started the HoF project back in 98 I didn't know what PHP was, not even ASP for that matter. The first few HoF versions was just a VBA script within Access that generated some flat HTML files wich I uploaded.

When I stubmeled upon ASP it was like a godsend because a) I could use the existing MS ACCESS database files as they where, and b) ASP and VBA are practivaly identical making it very easy to convert it.

When I started writing the Forums I already had a lot of experience with ASP programming, and no experience with PHP or any other such language. Besides by then I had already setteled in at Brinkster and they only support ASP anyway.

I realise that PHP, JSP and what not are faster and more effective than ASP, but IMHO the speed is ok as it is, and it would be WAY to much work for little or no gain to learn PHP, convert all my code to PHP and find a new host that allow me to run PHP.

Rest asured though, I'm no M$ fanatic, and when I get started on some major projects in the future I'll likely choose JSP as a platform (it's more powerfull and versatile than PHP)...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 at 01:49 (GMT -5)

what's JSP? is it widely supported?

maybe you should use C/C++ ;)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 8 hours, 54 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 at 11:43 (GMT -5)

JSP is Java Server Pages.

Basicaly it's Java so the support is quite wide. You can read about it here: http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: