Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Eternium Man - is it possible?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 17:49 (GMT -5)

I'm just curious how many players have seriously attempted the Eternium Man challenge. Do you think it is possible? What strategies do you think might work (in theory) to complete this (seemingly impossible) challenge?

I have some thoughts of my own, but I am curious to see what other people think first . . .
maestro_mozart
Registered user

Last page view:

7279 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 19:05 (GMT -5)

i tried with trollish barbarians. if you get an altar you'll have a slight chance, but i coudln't make it past lvl 10 or 12. you'll have to luck up and find an awesome weapon. like a penetrating eternium two handed sword of devestation or some such super thing.

i think it's possible to do it, probably as difficult as a non cheat chaos god victory when you stay C- the whole game.

there are tons of stratagies to use. you can use creatures such immune to bolts spells to stand next to you and you bolt through them to kill others. or taming with bards. that kind of thing. however i don't think it'd be possible w/o an altar. a book store would be nice too, lol. and herbs while we're at it.
Danielle Unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 21:25 (GMT -5)

does the danger level actually go up too? better loot and such?
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

One question we would have to answer is: is it better to level up slowly, so that you're better developed by each level up, or better to level as fast as possible so that you're less likely to meet something really hard? Trolls or humans/gnomes would probably be the best races for this.
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

i think it's totally dependent on what you're faced with. if you're in a hallway you won't have much choice on leveling or not and have to slash your way out.

for some reason this reminds me.. i just played through an Avatar of Order ending with a grey elf bard. i held on to the weird tome until i was level 50, with around a bouts of 44 learning. i couldn't read past the first message of it being a collection of some such songs or something. it still confused the crap out of me. twice i had to pray just to remove the confusion. very surprising considering that in an older version i could read much further into it with a lvl 50 bard. in any case, confusion resistance is a must.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 4 hours, 19 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 08:03 (GMT -5)

Bards have a better chance of reading the weird tome than wizards - it's a tome of tunes, not magic.

And the Eterinium Man challange is best to do with a char, that levels up fast - trolls don't have any chance of making it, since they need tons of xps to get to the highest levels. More time spent, more chances of lvl 90+ quickling queens and emperor liches appearing...

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/21/2004 at 08:05 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6508 days, 3 hours, 29 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

Wouldn't it be *relatively* easy, albeit very tedious, if you used a bard or a necromancer, levelling up a companion to a really high level, so that the PC could level himself up at leisure? presumably if monsters aren't on the kill list (ie killed by a companion) then they don't count towards the exp of monsters generated.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 3 hours, 44 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

Mael: seems that music isn't necessary at all to read the weird tome: http://groups.google.fi/groups?dq=&hl=fi&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=7pfo90t73qr0is29hq0n8fkgdgdvul7bq5%404ax.com&prev=/groups%3Fdq%3D%26num%3D25%26hl%3Dfi%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Drec.games.roguelike.adom%26start%3D50

Some time ago somebody got to their 30's or 40's with an archer. Can't remember who, but if someone has a few hours of extra time on their hands might want to search the boards.

Well, didn't in fact take that much time. Here's the thread about how Jonesy made it to lvl 44 and died of a crash(signal 291): http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/messages.asp?thread=2017&start=18764&page=1&tmp=20394

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/21/2004 at 11:32 (GMT -5) by J.]
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:25 (GMT -5)

I think it is fair to say that altars, powerful ranged damage (spells/missiles) and invisiblity is a necessity. The only viable strategy I can think of is levelling up to around mid-teens/mid-20s and then being lucky enough to find a wish (or better yet, a wand of wishing with several charges). Death ray/wand of death ray coupled with a wish for AKW could work to jump from mid-teens/mid-20s up a bunch of levels and possibly as high as level 50. If you are lucky enough to avoid killer bugs and emperor liches then it might be possible.
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 23:02 (GMT -5)

alex it's funny you mentioned that cause i started a bard last night to try that same tactic. my fairy dragon has no problem killing the low level monsters and i haven't registered a single kill yet. i have detect item status and lots of other good skills so i'm biding my time until something good drops.

i just rememberd, bards might not be that good after all because i can't tame a single thing. even with music at 89 (level 1) the monsters are higher level so it's much harder to tame them i suppose. so i dunno, gonna try to keep this guy alive though.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/21/2004 at 23:06 (GMT -5) by its author]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 3 hours, 44 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 04:39 (GMT -5)

Gozer, I think karmic wyrms got death ray resistance in the upgrade from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0.

In older versions that would be a good tactic. Slow yourself and whack an AKW twice your level with a death ray, that would equal mucho experience.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5823 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 06:53 (GMT -5)

well just hope for that red ancient dragon then, slow your self and freeze him...

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

J: I suppose you could go with dragon slaying ammo instead if you were feeling lucky (and you were lucky enough to find/wish for some!)

Another strategy (for bards) might involve taming tons of monsters and keeping only a very few hostile ones. Or adapt the big room strategy (i.e., trap a breeder in a wardened-off area if you want to harvest herbs undisturbed). Bottom line: if you can ensure that only 1 or 2 hostiles are active at any given time your chances improve considerably (although finding those hostiles to level up would be tedious to say the least!)

Another thing I have noticed when playing druids: animals (rats, dogs, cats, etc.) are almost never hostile. Has anyone else noticed this? (I don't think there is anything about it in the guidebook). If this is true for all druids then they might be a decent choice for the EM challenge as well (again, "fill" the SMC with neutrals and ensure that only a very few hostiles are active).
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

"It is said that no
animal will willingly harm a druid."

From adom manual.
necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 03:54 (GMT -5)

my best effort got me to level 8. with all kinds of different PCs
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

6906 days, 19 hours, 16 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

I've never been past level 18 with an eternium man. The biggest problem I find is that the monster spawn rate will sometimes suddenly drop off to zero. I think that EM challengers should be allowed to leave and immediately return if the spawn rate cuts off.

- p_ouji

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: