Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Squee.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Celavi
Registered user
...rawr.

Last page view:

7029 days, 4 hours, 33 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 06:06 (GMT -5)

So it's about time I've decided to think up of something ADOM-related to talk about. While this thread has little to do with ADOM, please do bear with me...

In my opinion, playing the ever so frustrating, annoying, yet ultimately fun game we all know as ADOM requires suitable aspects of the atmosphere for us to actually stand all of that pressure.

The question here is: What method do you use to lift your mood and the atmosphere whilst playing ADOM? I personally like listening to music as it is, afterall quite an effective way.
I'd tune up a blaring, angry song while on a monster hacking rampant- or maybe a soft, melodic one while strolling peacefully in the beautiful towns and villages. A sad, melancholy song would also do good to suit a tragic moment(eg. losing that pair of 7LB).

All and all, I'd say music's quite an important aspect in the atmosphere of the game. And besides, playing the game silently is just scarytoo dull for my own tastes.
Thank you for your time. Now if you may, please answer the question stated previously in this message brought to you by yours truly.

Amusement spread across his sultry lips as a feminine hand touched his. "What?" A faint voice trailed along the wind and whispered into his ears, drops of sweat dripping down to the soil followed by heavy breathing and panting. "Nothing. I just like the way you taste."

"Hey," a female voice interrupted. "Stop talking to that glass of orange juice. You're freaking me out."
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5835 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

i don't listen to music while playing.

Portrait
Celavi
Registered user
...rawr.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

That's nice.

Amusement spread across his sultry lips as a feminine hand touched his. "What?" A faint voice trailed along the wind and whispered into his ears, drops of sweat dripping down to the soil followed by heavy breathing and panting. "Nothing. I just like the way you taste."

"Hey," a female voice interrupted. "Stop talking to that glass of orange juice. You're freaking me out."
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7108 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

I found i need around 90% concentration to play in order not to die in some stupid deaths ...

So if i'm aiming at winning (e.g. when the char is for tournament), i do not let anything disturbing my ADOM quests.

And when it is for leisure, i'd turn on the TV to add some background noises ... (and occasionally be attracted by the animes and news reports ^^)
psypig unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

i tend to listen to atari teenage riot. nothing like some super fast electro-dnb-metal to set the fantasy atmosphere... and get you killed cos you're not concentrating.... hmm.....
Portrait
Celavi
Registered user
...rawr.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 12:30 (GMT -5)

The songs that I listen to while playing the game often vary to suit with the current situation. During a dramatic fight scene, I'd play the .hack//sign OST. In a monster blood bath rampant, I'd prefer songs by Disturbed. Coldplay pretty much covers most of the game.

And ofcourse, while the blaring music could alter your focus and concentration on the game- it also helps you enjoy playing it more. That's the whole point of lifting the atmosphere, mind you... then again, I listen to music all the damn time because I have a pair of headphones stuck over my ears all day.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3610 days, 23 hours, 28 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

My game performance improves about 60% if I listen to music. In simulators like Need for Speed I like the beat to be fast and then my hands work much faster and I'm able to concentrate better on the track. When somebodi's racing with a car, and gets like that it is said that he is in "The Zone"
For the Horde!
Portrait
Celavi
Registered user
...rawr.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

I applaud you, good sir. Finally someone who understands and appreciates the value as well as the obvious benefits of music.

Recent studies had shown that people are more motivated and put more effort into their work while listening to music. But let's not get into that now. What I need from you, people, is something that has to do with the topic...
What exactly do you do to lighten the mood and atmosphere, or as Mewto said- improves your game performance?

Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6530 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 15:18 (GMT -5)

hmm, i don't do anything specifiv while playing ADOM.

About the music thing: when i uised to program some games myself, when i was younger, i liked to listen to punkrock all the time while programming.

And nowadays when i've got loads of homework to do (i do nothing 90% of the time, the last 10% of the year i have shitloads of work to do) i listen to metal. It is the one thing that makes me able to cope with my lifestyle :P
And it does improve my performance indeed.

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6860 days, 18 hours, 3 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

Digitally Imported hard trance winamp radio most of the time :P
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1237 days, 9 hours, 13 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

i like to dim the lights, or turn them off completely. No one can be in the room with me, because the backround noise just distracts me, and i end up having give them a good thwacking.

i have a somewhat long playlist saved on my computer than ranges from Rammstein to Rem. the right song usually comes on at the right time. I can't listen to the radio though, because i get annoyed everytime an idiotic Mcdonalds commercial comes on.

its best if i play during the early morning or late at night too

illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

(Not everyone thinks that ADOM's environment is heavy and frustrating .... )

Oh, btw, to name a few songs:
Shuffle -- from anime Yugioh
Wild Drive -- (as above)
Get Over -- from anime Hikaru no Go
Sincerely ever dream -- (as above)
One Love - (as above)

These songs act like potions of morale boost. The first two are rock/metal while the rest are in normal JP pop style. My Freecell and Minesweeper performances improve when listening to them, but not ADOM ................................................................

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 5/22/2004 at 17:04 (GMT -5) by illumi]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3909 days, 19 hours and 22 minutes ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 03:34 (GMT -5)

totally, of topic:
illumi, did you know that it's possible to cheat at freecell?

Spoiler
just press Ctrl+Shift+F10

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/23/2004 at 03:34 (GMT -5) by Morio]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3610 days, 23 hours, 28 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

A really really good song is Born Too Slow by the Crystal Method. I got it together withNeed for Speed underground Demo. Must be the best music for racing I ever heard
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/23/2004 at 12:11 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 06:14 (GMT -5)

*finished reading Morio's message*
*launchs FreeCell*
*trying Ctrl+Chift+F10*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! *dancing fanatically* ^o^ //

MORIO RULEZ

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 5/23/2004 at 06:26 (GMT -5) by illumi]
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6530 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

LOL, too evil :D

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3909 days, 19 hours and 22 minutes ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

thank you illumi :D

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Riibu [nl]
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

That is so the crappiest cheat ever. It's not good at all!
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

ughh.. I usually just listen to something heavy. currently it's a finnish deathmetal band called Sotajumala, which means Wargod. they sing (or at least utter something barely comprehensible) in finnish too, and that's pretty rare.
I like to listen to something, it usually doesn't really matter what it is, but not the radio.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: