Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Steel Man Strategy

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

Steel Man

Enter the wilderness and do not leave it until the PC is experience level 50 (optionally never eat the food the PC starts with). Entering any game locations is not allowed. The first example of this challenge game was posted January 20th, 2004 by Alex Pinachos. Extreme tactics were required.

i've been trying out the steel man challenge for quite some time. my best PC, a drakeling bard born in the month of the falcon(4 talents) who started with heir and alert and later got treasure hunter, got to level 16 where he got most sadly and carelessly killed by a gnoll as he was picking up gnoll corpses. the killing hit dealt ~20 damage. his strategy was to use the combination of the blessed 7LB(heir item) and the drakeling spit attack to slaughter everyone before learning spells at higher levels.

he started his first few levels hunting hobgoblins and scummed the hills from level 5 onwards, occasionally switching to the roads and swamps. he scummed the forests for food after every battle with his Survival techniques, making sure that he entered each battle bloated. his main exp food before level 15 was chaos brothers/sisters and random summoned monsters from dark wizards in the hills. a typical fight with chaos brothers/sisters would yield about 2000-3000 exp while a good dark wizard would give about 10000 exp. after level 15, he would roam the plains in search of air elementals (5000 exp each) and dorn beasts(easy 1000 exp).

it really was quite depressing when that character died because i had already envisioned his future paths. he was able to take on 200 hp swamp hydras with just the acid attack.

i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the steel man challenge and would like to share some information with newbies like me. steel man is the bomb!
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6508 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

There's a steel man victor in the HOF, name of Tetsuko.
EDIT: oops, didn't see you mentioned it in your post.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/26/2004 at 06:44 (GMT -5) by Alex]
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

6906 days, 19 hours and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

Neat. I like your strategy. The only thing I can add is to watch what you fight. Some monsters level up faster than others. Assassins and Chaos plague bearer seem to be the most dangerous. Hill Orcs also might be problematic later on and late in the game, quicklings can become insta-kill.. Bards are a good choice because they can tame wild boars and have them fight the low xp fast leveling weakies while the PC can take on the high xp big boys. Also, before getting a waterproof blanket, its a good idea to read all scrolls and books cuz you'll just lose them anyway. If there's a book or scroll you want to keep, you can preserve it by equipping it to a hand or missle slot if you have a cloak.

- p_ouji
necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

thanks. i liked the strategy too (: that tip about reading all scrolls and books is good, didn't think about that. i nearly died to a wild boar at level 15, so yea, thanks for your advice.
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 06:14 (GMT -5)

i got to level 14 with an elf wizard. without finding teleport early on the jackals will kill oh so easily. skeleton patrols level up fast too. a jackal took me from 34 to -4 in one turn, un-f***in believable (to quote andrew dice clay).

training mana was a breeze w/o worrying about time constraints. book casting after every fight gave my mana 7 points in 14 levels. i was lucky enough to find water and fireproof blankets right off the bat. no holy water though, and only two scrolls of identity.

the jackals are far too strong w/o being able to run real fast or teleport though. very tough challenge if you're not well equiped.

for wizards it's a must to read only one or two reads from a spellbook and save the rest for bookcasting. one bolt for reserves and one ball for mana training. bookcasting doesn't reward spells skill levels so it's important to learn 4-500 knowledge points to get the bolt up to +15 or so.

it's probably a good idea to go for the raven birth month for the speed bonus if you have survival or if you're a monk. also pick speed bonus talents
necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

wow! however did you get to level 14? i hardly thought that it's even possible to do steel man without the drakeling spit.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5823 days, 12 hours, 36 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 07:33 (GMT -5)

I got to level 15ish too, i think it was a druid

necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 at 00:11 (GMT -5)

my second drakeling falcon bard died at level 18 because he forgot that the red dragon's flame breath actually deals damage. *disgusted at myself*.

now my third drakeling, level 16, is pretty mixed up. he started out with detect item status, which has been extremely useful. however, he carelessly got his blessed 7LB fried by an air elemental's lightning bolt. ARGH. he's got a 6d8 + 16 damage lightning ball spell and teleportation spell, though i doubt he'll survive much longer without 7LB ):

i was just wondering if anyone would know any alternative source of exp rather than air elementals. damn those lightning bolts. wandering wizards get stingy after a while, when they keep summoning rubbish(rats/kobolds/orcs). it's great when they summon ~8 kobold shamans though(which they do quite often), it's a good source of mana. red dragons(mountains) burn boots as well. black dragons(swmaps) are immune to drake spit. chaos brothers/sisters grow powerful after a while. damn. steel man's gonna be harder than i imagined.

after these few games of mine, i guess the ideal starting character for steel man would be:

drakeling falcon bard
4 talents- Heir and Alert(TH later)
healing/detect item status/athletics/concentration
starting strength 20(read thread: drake spit range)

ah. i need that PC...
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 at 01:15 (GMT -5)

with the wizard i just read a bolt spell once or twice then save the book to book cast from till you find better stuff. gotta have a wp blanket though.
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

I tried with a falcon helf archer. lots of arrows found, food not a prob with survival, the only problem was being surprised by a horde of critters. that was a problem. never got beyond lvl 15, though. but I'm willing to try more with'em.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: