Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Adom MUD

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
the mighty NHGH
Registered user
pRAise "BOB"!

Last page view:

7177 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

i want to start working on one. but i dont know where to start. is anyone else interested/know anything about this? it would be great to have everyone on this forum playing it.

For the Good "Bob" selleth all, even the least and the last; and all buyers are joyous unto his selling.

And those who knoweth not the Good "Bob" from the Evil "Bob" shall verily sell away their souls, and shall be lost.
zov_
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

Yes, I would be very interested.
Portrait
the mighty NHGH
Registered user
pRAise "BOB"!

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

i dont know anything about C though. ive been looking around for a premade MUD to alter for starts. other than that this is gonna need help to get off the ground.

For the Good "Bob" selleth all, even the least and the last; and all buyers are joyous unto his selling.

And those who knoweth not the Good "Bob" from the Evil "Bob" shall verily sell away their souls, and shall be lost.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 9 hours, 10 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:39 (GMT -5)

Sounds like fun, to bad most MUD engines use a very different stat/skill system than ADOM (though most allow for considerable modifications)... You could still make monsters and areas with ADOM names, but it just won't be the same unless you could make (most) skills/spells/items work in roughtly the same way as in ADOM. Idealy it should also support somewhat randomized item stats and so forth. Can't think of any engiens that match those critereas straight off.

Would probably be a good idea to obtain the permission of the creator befoing getting to involved in such a project though. ADOM is copyrighted after all.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
the mighty NHGH
Registered user
pRAise "BOB"!

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 05:10 (GMT -5)

yea i know.

Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

The real problem about making Adom into a mud i think would be the wilderness travel and Chaos/time considerations.

wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 18:23 (GMT -5)

the skills system, as in percentages, there are muds with that kinda system. the skills should be modified though. also, the dungeons should be generated anew for every boot, thus making the game more versatile than most. just a thought.
muska
Registered user

Last page view:

7264 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

check my majik4 thread :)
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

6924 days, 12 hours, 14 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

This thread's fairly old, but I just wanted to say that I have some experience working MOOs and MooCode and I'd be very willing to start work on something. Ah, MUX.... I have fond memories of vicious attack penguins, burning bridges, hidden cameras, and invisibility. >:)

> Sounds like fun, to bad most MUD engines use a very different stat/skill system than ADOM (though most allow for considerable modifications)...

That's why, if this were to happen, I think it would be best built from the ground up--from a MOO ideally, as I have quite a bit of experience programming in MooCode and know very well how flexible MOOs are.

> The real problem about making Adom into a mud i think would be the wilderness travel and Chaos/time considerations.

Why would that be a problem....? Increase variable increment.... I assume most of the functions, like health/mana regeneration, hunger etc. would be based as a function of energy points i.e. time, and.... well, time would be more individualized while in the wilderness, I'd certainly imagine.

Anyway, this is my two cents.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: