Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Savescumming

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3910 days, 2 hours, 45 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:33 (GMT -5)

Have you guys ever savescummed, if so, what did you scum, do you still scum, when did you stop.

I myself have scummed until my first victory, after that it has felt kind of meaningless. Sure, I've lost many characters that I could have saved by savescumming, but thats the point, when you die, you start over.

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1237 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

I didn't scum when i started. The first and only character i scummed was some flavor of barbarian, my first crowning. I did not win with him, i gave up after getting killed in the TOEF a few times.

I never did it again, just too boring, no sense of accomplishment

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/30/2004 at 12:43 (GMT -5) by Armada]
Portrait
DRakelevel4
Registered user
Death to the living

Last page view:

7217 days, 10 hours, 13 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

i used to scum before i found this site and after reading that save scuming is "bad" :)i started losing good men in battle but i found that it makes all more fun that way

you throw the blessed potion of gain atributes at the rat,you miss the potion is smashed,the rat hits you,you are bleding,you throw the amulet of life saving at the rat, you miss,the rat hits you, you get angry,you drink the blessed potion of poison,you cast slow on you self,you cast magic misle,it bounces you are hit it bounces you are hit .......... you are hit,you die
Aphael
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

I used to savescum a lot for some time. I even managed to make an application by myself, an ultimately fast loader-backuper. i almost burned out my keyboard :>
but that just until I became new chaos god, later i got bored with savescumming.
i've made myself application (a trainer for adom) that gives you 3 wands of wishes with 99999 charges. I also used to walk around in [999,999] armors and +2000 to speed crowns of lightning.
(all of that in 1.1.1, try to do it for yourself ;) )
that allowed me to see almost everything in game.
I've been in lvl 1000 fo Infinite Dungeon, for example.

so, if you are going to scum, scum more and more, aks yourself: what next? will you still have fun playing adom?

I reverted totally from scumming. Just from time to time a litlle backup, just for time saving purposes, cause I'm a really busy man now.
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6681 days, 23 hours, 57 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

I Savescummed a lot at start but i have stopped it now
<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5675 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

I savescummed for a win, to see what the game is like, after that I stopped. Bad idea really, 'cause afterwards I'd nothing left to find out.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6861 days, 1 hour, 27 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 at 18:43 (GMT -5)

I savescummed my first char to lvl 12 then deleted. I had played nethack before so I knew the deal :P

Edit: I still savescum when I want to test stuff like. With a lvl 20 char, I feel like killing everyone in everytown. Then I die take backup and play normal again. Or when I want to test the probability of getting for example rods with poex, certain artifacts when precrowning.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 6/8/2004 at 18:45 (GMT -5) by TheTimpen]
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6401 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 at 19:00 (GMT -5)

I used to savescum all the time (for two years.) Then eventually I got bored, didn't play ADOM for a year, and then made a vow to never scum again and now I love ADOM even more then I did before. The only times I scum are when I take my characters with the wands f wishing with over 3 trillion charges and I test certain aspects of the game, like if you can bring back orb gaurdians with necromancy or not, for example :P

Oh, and Aphael, I have been to ID 3000 with one of these characters :D
"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

371 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 at 02:28 (GMT -5)

To save my typig..
Read KoRn DogG's post igain and apply it to me.
Just that my gap was more like 4 years.
Aphael
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

KoRn DogG: Impressive, but wasn't that boring? Going down to 1000 revealed nothing exceptional but monsters are higher levels. That's even funny to see your [+999,+999] armour loosing half of PV ;>
Did you used up those 3 trillions charges?
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6519 days, 23 hours, 9 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

I've never save scummed. it's not necessary, I've gotten two ultra victories in, oh, about a year of playing adom. of course, I did read the entire guidebook several times within about a week of starting, and have gotten invaluable help from this here forum :)
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7052 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 at 06:38 (GMT -5)

when i started playing adom ( which was a reaaally long time ago ) i was only a kid and i had been playing baldur's gate so it seemed stupid not to be able to save so i scummed. then i won the game a couple of times and it got boring. then i found all these cool sites and i started reading alot and then i started playing hardcore :) it is really a LOT more fun this way. I won my first non-scummed game after about a week of playing without scumming :)

but sure i can make a backup save if i want to try stuff out, but no cheating.
and one of my computers can get really warm and shut itself off so i have to backup save often in case it would. because i hate loosing characters to computercrashes.
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: