Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Spellbooks?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6467 days, 10 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 10:28 (GMT -5)

I've been reading a few threads here and there, and most people seem to have good luck going to the ID and 'scumming', for lack of a better term, for spellbooks with their wizard type PC's. I've never had much success in this aspect with my wizzened old goats, they might get lucky and find a book of light/darkness or two, but that's it. I just stay around levels 1 - 10.
Should I go deeper? Or is it just my copy? Or more likely, just my cursed luck with spellcasters?

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

You talking about staying on the stairs and just < > till you find something in the room, or actually exploring the whole level?

The few times im bored enough to do that , or even bored enough to play a wizard that has worked fine for me

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 11:29 (GMT -5)

I usually start wizards by going through levels 1 to 4 and back. A regular trip gives me enough spells to last to about lvl 15. Then of course you get more books just by doing the places you normally do.
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6671 days, 14 hours, 14 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

I usually go do my begining game *stuff*, save the puppy, then go through the ID and "scum" level 8-9 until I have a good array of spells, then leave and spiel like normal.

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6467 days, 10 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 16:09 (GMT -5)

Must be that ADOM just doesn't want me playing magic types. I go from 1 to 10 (exploring each level completely) then back again and get maybe one or two spellbooks, three if I'm lucky, so it must be my real-life Dooming that's causing it.
Curses on ADOM! Doom to thee! But I'm hopelessly addicted...

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

That isn't really a problem, you should learn to use melee/ranged weapons anyways as a wizard. Eventually you will find enough books.
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6671 days, 14 hours, 14 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 21:53 (GMT -5)

What's your Le: at? Mine's usually 17+ish, so when I do learn from spellbooks, I get like 500+ learning from it, that'll last you til you find more.

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

KCL: Warlord is right. A wizard shouldn't be relying too much on magic, otherwise (s)he could be in big trouble when the spells run out. Even a wizard can be an effective meleer if one has a decent weapon and some weapon skill levels. I know from experience, as one of my wizards (and a gnome as well) cleaned out the ToEF mostly in melee.

Also, when I'm scumming the ID for spellbooks I usually stay in the early levels - around 1-4. I seem to find the most spellbooks there. But sometimes I just fail to find any spellbooks at all.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Danielle
Registered user
Queen of Teryino

Last page view:

7151 days, 20 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 01:49 (GMT -5)

Im the same way with Wizards, by the time im anywhere worth noting I usually have at least a suffix weapon, and im playing the toon as if there a paladin, sameway with my beastfihghters though, i play them as half and halfs sonce i get to CoC.. its always a good idea.. somethign shoudl be done with melee, some with magic..
NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7195 days, 2 hours, 58 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

Keep some rare/importnt spellbooks around for some book casting. Like Frost bolt, getting over rivers and stuff.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 at 01:20 (GMT -5)

Update: it seems that even wizards sometimes have a hard time finding spellbooks. Sometimes when I'm playing a wizard scumming the ID nets absolutely s**tloads of spellbooks, while on other times they are few and far between. I may be wrong but it would seem to me that playing a wizard with a spellcasting birthsign (book, cup etc.) would result in more spellbooks than one with a melee starsign (sword, dragon).

Also, sometimes ball spellbooks seem to be exceedingly rare and at other times they just keep piling up. In a recent game my wiz found several lightning ball spellbooks in a short while while sometimes finding even one takes a long time. Strange...

J.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

I always play with Candle... I get enough books, sometimes even too many. But no game so far that I wouldn't have enough books.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

Hmm..Can you waterproof Spellbooks? I was playing a wizard recently, which is a rare occurance for me, and last a few valuable spellbooks to water traps.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 21 hours, 38 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 at 18:24 (GMT -5)

IIRC, yes, you can. And you won't imagine how. Dip spellboks into Blessed potion of rust removal or potion of oil... yeah, it sounds stupid to me too, but iron items get rustproofed, and books get waterproofed this way...
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/28/2004 at 18:24 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

Indeed it is possible. But quite useless if you have waterproof blankets.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: