Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / comment on latest update

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 4 hours and 40 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 18:58 (GMT -5)

I think it's cool. very similar to what other forums have... although they also do it with the signature. Can that be done?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 19:03 (GMT -5)

and also, here's an idea: on all forums, the title display could be formatted like:

[Avatar]
(Name)
(coustom title defined in settings)
(Admin/Mod status if applicable)

(idle timer)

or something similar. And rather than displaying what forum(s) a user is modding for, just say "Administrator" or "Moderator", and name the mods for each forum in the forum description.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 19:06 (GMT -5)

(goes ahead and triple posts)

Another note on the admin/mod thing, that line could be displayed no matter what the status is, just say "Registered User" for non-mod/admins. (And of course "Unregistered User" for unregs... in fact... they could automatically get the coustom title "lurker".)

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

7 hours, 29 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

Yeah, my main problem is some bad design desissions I've made in the past. Now the database is full of data and it's hard to change parts of it...

Like the sigs, right now the sig is copied into the message body. Sure I could slap on a dynamic sig in about 5 minutes, but that would give everyone double sigs... I'd like to make a script that could strip away all the embeded sigs before I did that. Not very hard to code (have to experiment a bit to make sure I don't strip away to much though), but problematic to run because it would take a long while to chew though the 26.000+ messages in the database and scripts are not allowed to run for more than ~90 seconds on the server, I'd have to make several runs keeping track of how far I'd come along the way :-/

The way mod and admin rights are currently stored is lacking at best I could slap on a new row to the forum table listing the mods and updating it manualy, but I'd prefeer to re-design the way the entire system works instead, will take a bit longer, but that way I'll only have to update all the pages once instead of making a half way hack first and double the work...

As for the titles and status and stuff fiddeling with those are a piece of cake (now). I'll look into it tomorow.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

What about this:
you take the forum offline, haul the database off the server and make it local, and then run the script, then bring the database back up when you're done?

I'd be willing to help with any of this if I could, however i doubt I can. My suspicion is that this is not written in C++, and that's the only programming language I know...

Or, another idea: run the script once, cutting it off of most of the more recent posts, and then slap on the dynamic sig. The old posts would end up with double sigs, sure, but how often are the older posts accessed?

ivan.sourceforge.net

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/2/2004 at 20:03 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 20:18 (GMT -5)

It could except I'm on dialup and the database file is ~50Mb so it would take virtualy all day...

Best bet would probably to add a temporary row to the message table and just mark messages as I go along, and just run the script multiple times doing only the unmarked messages untill they are all done and then drop the temporary row... Figure once I have a script that seems to work that doesn't eat up whoel messages by accident I'll add dynamic sigs and start removing the old ones (alternatively doing the most recent first).

The whole site is ASP 3.0 (Visual Basic script), toying with the idea of upgrading it to .NET in order to lear that (ASP is getting stale, need to keep my skills up to date if I want to find a job it seems (well that and 5 years of work experience aparently :P)).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 20:45 (GMT -5)

Yeah, that could be a slight problem... i'm on dialup also. don't you just hate it?

That method seems like a good idea. You could possibly just remove all sig attaching for a while, and write something so that all new posts after the time you removed the sig posting get added to the temporary row, then do the script like you said, multiple times on only the unmarked messages.

Good luck with it all. i do know how trying to deal with crappy code is, i'm in the process of cleaning up some code I wrote a few months back so i can add it to other code that some friends are working on, for our programming final.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

Oook, that seems to have gone better than I had feared. Old sigs have been removed and replaced with a dynamic one (straight from your user profiles), only had to run the "sigsnipper" script twise to get them all. Hopefully no one lost any messages in the process. Think the ods of anyone writing "dash dash dash carrage-return" in a message is quite low (and I only looed for the first ocurance from the end of the message so we should be ok).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/3/2004 at 12:13 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

Oh and also seperated "status" and title so that mods and admins can have titles too (if they want to). Didn't bother with "lurker" titles for unregistered users, first of all they are not lurkers if they post and secondly there is no point, they are unregistered that's realy all there is to say...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1658 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

Well at least you guys are updating as opposed to Thomas
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

lol!
ivan.sourceforge.net

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: