Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / ADOM monster tournament

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

Just for fun I thought of administrating a simple poll-based tournament to determine what the most-feared monster in ADOM is. Rather than use a normal poll, I thought of running a knockout-round system whereby different monsters are randomly paired against each other and you guys vote for the "winner" in each round. "Winners" proceed to following rounds, and ultimately a final, to determine the most-feared monster in the game.

Anyway, here is the list of monsters that I believe warrant entry into the tournament. Please post any alternative suggestions that you may have. Once I have finalised the list of monsters, I will randomly pair them and then post the first round of match-ups. In no particular order here are my entry picks . . .

1. Mimic hivemind.
2. Emperor lich.
3. Greater moloch.
4. Stone ooze.
5. Doppleganger king.
6. Balor.
7. Quickling queen.
8. Diamond golem.

NOTE: The focus here is on most-feared (not necessarily most dangerous) monster irrespective of class-race combination. To ensure that there is a logical progression to a final, the list of monsters must be 8 (I couldn't think of as many as 16 monsters that were dangerous enough to qualify for entry). I have also deliberately excluded named-monsters like Nuurag-Vaarn and Keriax. If enough people participate in this tournament then I will consider running a second tournament exclusively for named-monsters.

I look forward to reading what you guys have to say before posting the first round!
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6508 days, 20 hours, 38 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 09:21 (GMT -5)

1. I've never actually been killed by a mimic-type yet (too careful with AoFA) so I don't fear these much
2. Only seen one outside of a vault and it was easy. oddly enough I fear lich kings more, probably because in the vaults I've faced there are about 20 of them instead of 1 emperor, so I have worse memories of them :/
3. I've never come off too badly against these. easy if you're careful. still scary to look at though
4. accidentally hitting one of these without free action REALLY puts a shiver down your spine, while you wait nervously for it to run out and hope nothing turns up. I hate these
5. nothing like 'a doppelganger king is here. It looks very experienced.' to scare the shit out of you. lost a great character to one once so fast it wasn't funny - i practically hyperventilate when I see one with a melee char now.
6. I've killed one at level 25-ish. not that deadly, and they are pretty easy by D:50.
7. bloody nuisance. improved fireball kills good though.
8. I hate these. fat pv + elemental immunity + punch through armour = damn

my ranking for fear factor:

5, 4, 8, 7, 2, 6, 3, 1.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7097 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 10:13 (GMT -5)

2, 6, 8, 5, 7, 1, 3, 4

took (4) with several Burning Hands last time never knowing what special skill it has

Horrors i saw in last game -- a Greater Fire Elemental in the Arena, and a tension room of Great Karmic Wyrms

*shivers*

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/13/2004 at 12:22 (GMT -5) by illumi]
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6849 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

1. Mimic hivemind, never been any problems for me, don't know why they are so feared.

2. Emperor lich, met one of these with a lvl 14 drakish beastfighter when digging graves in dwarven graveyard, I ran away.

3. Greater moloch, since they are so slow and I almost always have demon slaying ammo. They have just been a nice source of xp.

4. Stone ooze, killed one nice char. After that one I've always taken em out from far.

5. Doppleganger king, only met one with melee char. Without knowing the danger a managed to kill it fairly easily.

6. Balor, when you start meeting them they ain't hard.

7. Quickling queen, never met queen, but I've met a king. He did shit dmg and I killed him in 1 hit :P

8. Diamond golem, extremely annoying bastards. As melee char I try with construct slaying/penetrating. When wiz I go with magic missile. I still hate them.

My own fears.

9. Werewolf King, if you never tried to melee him, don't try. He kicks the shit out of raw melee chars melee and he makes you sick on the top of that. You can kill him, but you need healing.

10. Ki-rin, I once encountered a huge threat-room with these on D42. The char had no forms of death ray resistance. I ran and ran and ran. Then I tped away.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1226 days, 14 hours, 6 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 10:51 (GMT -5)

Greater earth elementals.... *Shudder* Ive kiled the only stone ooze ive ever seen.

The only time a mimic hivemind got me was my first abandoned shop. It appeared in Ogre Town, and im like..."ooh goodies" *Dead*

Balors are easy, and the rest ive never run into
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 15 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 12:58 (GMT -5)

my list would be:
5, 2, 3, 8, 7, 6, 4, 1
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6294 days, 2 hours, 3 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

My list
8. (killed several char.s when I wasn't looking)
5. (annoying, damages char. a lot if not careful)
1. (" for the rest)
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5614 days, 8 hours, 55 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 07:11 (GMT -5)

1. Mimic hivemind: without free action these are nasty. With free action not so bad. Can't remember how bad they are in melee but probably not too bad. With ranged offensive spells these are a non-issue.

2. Emperor lich: summoners, stat drainers, spellcasters. Nasty. Though with high level burning hands they are not too bad if one has enough DV to avoid being hit. And naturally one needs death ray resistance or damn good luck.

3. Greater moloch: High level magic missile or lightning bolt makes short work of these. One just needs to avoid being hit which is not too hard with TP and TC. Not too bad unless one gets too cocky and ends up on the wrong side of ones attack.

4. Stone ooze: nasty. Paralyses and IIRC hits hard. Can't remember if they also corrode items but they are pretty nasty.

5. Doppelganger kings: easy pickings if one knows how to handle one. Even in melee.

6. Balor: I'd probably rate these the worst of the bunch. Tough, corrupting attack, summoner etc. Never a welcome opponent.

7. Quickling queen: Their speed and poisonous attack make them nasty opponents. But with some good offensive spells they are not TOO bad.

8. Diamond golem: high level magic missile makes short work of these. Once I had some three or four diamond golems in the air temple (summoned by the master summoner). It took just couple of castings of MM to take them out. But if one doesn't have high level MM... Whoa...

Most of these are actually quite doable with high level magic missile, one of the best offensive spells in the game. Even a tension room full of ancient karmic dragons is quite easy to clean up with MM.

J.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7041 days, 6 hours, 4 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

Greater Titans are really tough!
and eternium golems are quite tough aswell, although extremely rare.
the greater titans have awesome missile attack that can do over 200 dmg with one hit so it's not easy to just take them from range.
they are also immune to all (i think) elemental attacks and their melee attacks are deadly, and they are not that slow, altho with 7lb they are easy to outrun. with my last char i encountered a tension room full of them and i managed to kill them all only after closing the gate.

the ones on the list can be pretty annoying but you should be able to handle them by the time they start to appear, if you're not unlucky and meet one in the early game.

but i would say the DK's are the worst, because they are so hard to notice and if you stand next to them with berserk tactics you are lucky if your not dead the next round.-..

the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 09:23 (GMT -5)

Oh yeah those are a pain in the ass too most likely. My wiz that finished the game met ~40 titans on one level in bdc (don't know why there were so many, they were in the same area to).
I had a really difficult time killing them, they gave me 1 lvl each 5th titan though :)
NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7189 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

Doppleganger Kings are easy with any kind of magic attack. So are hive minds, if youi know they're coming. Pesonaly, I hate low-level encounters with Oger-magi. Invisibility AND frost attack. I've died to Lin-Hon-Kay so amny times when unprepared....
firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 11:05 (GMT -5)

Re; the lin hon kay thing, wear the mummy wrapping when you face him, see invisible plus immunity to cold. Also wear it when clearing out ogre town. (or use another means of see invisible + cold immunity).

Eternium golems are disgustingly strong!! ive met a couple of highly experienced living walls in the SMC before, *shudder*. I think that depending on the race/class youre playing, the ugliest monster changes, like for a troll (short life span), a ghost king would be pretty bad (one good hit and bam youre aged to death), a doppleganger king would be worse for an archer who primarily uses missiles :)
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 15 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 13:02 (GMT -5)

Eternium golems have that annoying PV, I've met two eternium golems, couldn't damage either one in melee, but a couple quarrels of constroct slaying did the job.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 13:28 (GMT -5)

Hmmmmmmm. Sounds like quite a few of you guys are in favour of including eternium golems. One question though: which is worse - eternium golems or diamond golems? I thought diamond golems were worse.

I thought of including ghost kings, but I figured they are only really dangerous for half the races (at most) with their ageing attacks.

Hadn't thought about greater titans. I figured greater molochs were worse. Again, comments anyone? Include greater titans and dump greater molochs? Or keep it like it is?

I figure werewolf kings are troublesome, but not really *that* dangerous. And ki-rin are so rare I dunno if it warrants including them.

I plan to post the first round of matchups on Tuesday evening (South African time).
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

Greater Titans are worse because of their ranged attack.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6508 days, 20 hours, 38 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 14:01 (GMT -5)

If you ask me even regular titans are worse than greater molochs. That missile attack is nightmare (they NEVER miss!) and even if they are easier to kill in melee they hit much more often and nearly as hard. Greater titans are so rare though, I think I've only met them once.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6665 days, 14 hours, 4 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

I saw greater titans all the time, and was even "lucky" enough to get a tension room of them :-)
You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6461 days and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 14:35 (GMT -5)

I found a tension 'room' of Greater Titans in The Scintallating Cave. I had moved in a few spaces before I noticed them, took steps back trying to get out and never took another step after that, as they took me from 800+ health to -50 or so in that time with those cursed eternium quarrels...
The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

I have to agree w/ the Eternium Golems, they have an acid attack as well as an INSANE DV, but the Diamond is vuenerable to only magic missle spells...<of course slaying ammo>
I would just add Ancient Karmic Dragons <unless you are imune to everything>or great karmic wyrms... the wyrms confuse
and the oft forgotten Ki-rin<named after an annoying ex perhaps?<G>> lost a few great chars to those over the years.
Portrait
Danielle
Registered user
Queen of Teryino

Last page view:

7145 days, 10 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 19:34 (GMT -5)

Ki-rin are ancient creatures (either Jap/Chinese or Korean, not sure) but they supposedly look liek what the chinese new years dragons look like, similar to the dragon in Dragon Balls, long flying, etc
Cepheid
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 23:26 (GMT -5)

None of those monsters are particularly hard. I have to agree that a greater titan is probably one of the more powerful things in the game. What about killer bugs? I still find them quite dangerous even though if you can take them out at range they become quite easy pickings.
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7185 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 02:38 (GMT -5)

1. Mimic hivemind.
Half of my chars kileed by that one :) getting too self-confident is bad sometimes ;)

2. Emperor lich.
Never fought one. Still, i saw it working as my companion ;)

3. Greater moloch.
With phase daggers - very easy.

4. Stone ooze.
How did this one get here? I believe death ooze is much more dangerous, and silly gray oozes can corrode all your non-artifact weapons.

5. Doppleganger king.
Yes, I've fought one, really nasty guy. Thank god he doesn't cast spells ;D.

6. Balor.
Never fought one, but had as a companion.

7. Quickling queen.
OMG, fearsome monster. Especially with Quickling King ;)

8. Diamond golem.
Nasty, for wizards. You can easily kill him with the phase dagger tho.

2, 7, 1, 5, 8, 3, 6, 4
It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/15/2004 at 02:38 (GMT -5) by eL]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 15 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 03:32 (GMT -5)

Gozer: I don't think you should add the Eternium golems because they are so rare. I've only found them in golemvaults
dwarf
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

hey gozer were u the one who posted the topic "for newbies who want help"? cause u were supposed to send me some high level guys but never did. just curious.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: