Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Monster Tournament Round 1

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

The response to the monster tournament has been great so far – so here are the first round of fixtures! After reading feedback from the original post, I have decided to replace the diamond golem with the eternium golem. The eternium golem does have much more PV and it also does more damage. While it may be more vulnerable to elemental attacks, only a few classes (e.g., wizards) can consistently deliver such attacks. I have also decided to replace the greater moloch with a greater titan. The greater titan is quicker and, more importantly, has a ranged attack.

OK, here is how it works: for each of the randomly-generated pairings below, select which monster you believe has the greatest fear factor. Try not to base your decision purely on the race-class combinations that you normally play – try to consider all combinations. All you need to do is post a reply with your selections (and, if you so choose, comments as well). Please only post your selections once – I don’t have the time to seriously monitor this and it is just for fun anyway!

I will give everyone 48 hours to respond. On Thursday evening (South African time) I will total the votes, identify which monsters go through to the next round, and post the next round of fixtures.

Round 1 Fixtures

1. Greater Titan (A) vs Mimic Hivemind (B)
2. Doppleganger King (A) vs Quickling Queen (B)
3. Stone Ooze (A) vs Emperor Lich (B)
4. Balor (A) vs Eternium Golem (B)

Happy voting!
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6665 days, 17 hours, 56 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 18:27 (GMT -5)

1. A (By then, most people have a AoFA)
2. A (Unless you have a few spells... king will WELD you :))
3. B (I haven't fought one of those oozes, but I know lichs can get ugly quickly)
4. A (Balors are easier for wizards, but I doubt anyone else considers them fun :-D)
You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7097 days, 18 hours, 7 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 18:36 (GMT -5)

1 A (Greater Titan has range attack, hivemind must have died before ever reaching its opponent)
2 B (Doppleganger King copies the speed and hit and PV DV of quickling queen, but not her poisoning property)
3 B (This is a 20 monster against one/two scenario ... stone ooze multiplies not as fast as summoning)
4 B (difficult pair ...)
Portrait
Danielle
Registered user
Queen of Teryino

Last page view:

7145 days, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 19:40 (GMT -5)

1. A, mimics have never posed a prblem for any toon by the time im high enough
2. B, never really had a hard time with DK's, quickies are nasty
3. never fought a remarkable ooze, always been easy pickins, fought through a undead vault on D38 once, that was fun, lol.. lots of liches, not too hard either, cant really say.
4. A, balor scurry!

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5614 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 00:50 (GMT -5)

1. A. Like Illumi notified, greater titans have an effective missile attack and the mimic would probably be dead long before reaching the GT. Unless the battle started at melee range, in this case the mimic might have a chance (unless greater titans have FA)

2. B. Unless the DK managed to effectively confuse the QQ for the whole battle.

3. B. No contest. Since emperor liches are undead they probably aren't affected at all by the paralysis. And they use powerful spells and summon lots of nasties. And they aren't too weak in the physical department either.

4. Tough one this. Balors are nasty but so are EG's. I guess I'd put my money on B, however since balors can't cast a high level magic missile and apparently EG's have acid breath.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/16/2004 at 00:50 (GMT -5) by The Real J.]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 4 hours, 7 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 02:57 (GMT -5)

1. A I've never met one of these but I also have never been killed by a mimic

2. A I hate those, and they appear more often than Quickling queens

3. B I don't see the big deal with stone oozes, just use a weapon that won't corrode

4. A You have to face these, and Eternium golems are extremely rare and they can easily be taken out with ammo of construct slaying
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

Just thinking... An Archmage char could probably implement at least some of these battles by first wishing for a figurine of one competitor, blessing it and using it to get a tame monster. Then directly wish for the other competitor and step back and watch the battle...

Anyone know which ones of these can be wished for ? Or in Figurine form ?

J.

Cepheid
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

A
B
B
A
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 4 hours, 7 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

J. I don't think you can wish for figurines of wonderous power, there was a discussion about it sometime ago
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 06:22 (GMT -5)

A, I guess. I've been killed once by both, but both chars were 15 lvlish. Haven't caused any problems with advanced chars.

A

B, though stone oozes can be quite nasty sometimes with a pure fighter.

B, I have killed only few EG's but AFAI remember, they were quite difficult to melee. Balors have never but once caused any harm. Char killed by balor was 20 lvlish Dark elven barbarian who was running around SIL chasing MaLaKaI.
___
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6957 days, 9 hours, 51 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

1. A - Greater titans are much more dangerous, with the ranged attack and the huge amount of damage they can deal.

2. B - Doppleganger kings are pretty easy to deal with, whereas quickling queens can keep poisoning every turn, with enough time left to get out of melee range again.

3. B - Stone oozes are easy enough to deal with too, but emperor liches have all sorts of nasty attacks.

4. A - Eternium golems aren't as tough as balors, although balors aren't really that tough either.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6509 days, 31 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

1. A, no contest
2. A. Quickling queens are a real nuisance but they die easily enough, DP kings are death on legs.
3. A. I'm still more scared of stone oozes. 'You suddenly can't move!' is probably my least favourite message in the entire game. well, apart from 'you die. .' obviously.
4. A. You'd have to be seriously unlucky to find a eternium golem without one of humanoid slaying, construct slaying, or penetrating weapons. Balors' teleporting and their seeming ability to hit past even 120+ DV makes them a serious pain.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

Alex: Re. 2: So you haven't used the darkness trick against DK's ? Or does it not work in 1.1.x ? At least in 1.0.0 DK's are completely helpless in darkness, making them easy pickings.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3118 days, 1 hour, 20 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 09:39 (GMT -5)

1. A.
2. A. Quickling queens are quite easy - they hit you a couple of times, poison you, then you throw 1 gem of fire (or improved fireball, or a ball spell with a good range) and it's over. DKs can be nasty, but need more spells/wands to get killed ;)
3. B. Emperor Liches... scary. Stone Oozes, can only paralyze you on touch... big deal. Missiles, spells, amulet of free action - so many ways to get rid of them.
4. I never had the impresion that Balors are hard. For a 15 lvl char goind through the Dwarven Halls, yes. But not for a high level char. Never met an Eterinium Golem, thou, so I can't vote on this one.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/17/2004 at 11:21 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Túrin
Registered user
Wildman of the Woods

Last page view:

6921 days, 20 hours, 47 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 17:40 (GMT -5)

1.A (as said, you should have AoFA)

2.A (tough choice, but I've lost more high characters to DKs than quickling queens)

3.B (don't run into many emperor liches, but unless theres a chance of getting something really good in that greater vault, I generally avoid them, plus stone oozes are fairly easy pickin's)

4.A (just recently encountered my first eternium golem in a vault and it was fairly easy with construct slaying, balors are also fairly easy, but since the golems are so rare, I'll give it to the balors.)
Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6509 days, 31 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

personally I count the darkness trick as abuse of a bug. the idea of killing Shyssiryxius at level 1 is a bit too cheap for me :/
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: