Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Cool herbs

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 01:36 (GMT -5)

I got a really cool herb pattern in the big room today. I saw it after already being in the room for a couple hundred turns, so I don't know how it came about. I don't know how to monospace, and the formatting page isn't loading for me... so you don't get to see it! Mwa ha ha haaaa!

As soon as somebody tells me how to monospace I'll show the pattern. If anybody cares.

Maybe I'm too tired to judge interesting from boring, but this is definitely the coolest herb pattern I've ever seen.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

show the pattern and I will see what I can do bout it
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

Okay fine. You can fix it then.

..."...
.."""..
.".".".
"""."""
.".".".
.."""..
..."...

I don't know what it would have turned into next. It looked like lots of it would die so I broke it into four sets of 3 bushes right away. These sets then grew together so I was only able to keep two herb squares. One at the top, one at the bottom.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 14 hours, 17 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

Yep, it's quite cool. I love it when herbs do that sort of thing instead of dying out!!

Try a google search on "game of life"; there's quite a few mathematicians who are enamored with our herb patterns, believe it or not!! A small download of a Game of Life board, and you'll be set to predict herb patterns all you like!
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 00:00 (GMT -5)

That's pretty cool. I searched for "game of life" on google, clicked on the first link, and there was this pattern there called R-pentomino... it looked like it could populate the whole big room all on it's own if you gave it enough time for 1000 generations or so (not really worth it) but anyways, this complicated pattern starts as simply as this:

.""
"".
.".

Wouldn't it be awesome to discover a pattern that grows outward from a single location, leaving bushes on every line, in the minimum number of turns? Your name could go down in the ADOM books forever.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 00:07 (GMT -5)

Okay, I think I know how my cool herb pattern came about. It probably started as:

.".
"""
.".

Which takes 5 generations to get to the pattern I showed first. And the next generation after that it becomes four 1x3 rectangles that spin forever. Now I know!
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 00:17 (GMT -5)

Ooh! Ooh! I know I shouldn't keep posting, but now I'm excited! This should be in the GB!

Want to move herb bushes to another line? Well, this pattern...

.""
"".
.."

...moves diagonally, and in three turns becomes itself again one square up and one to the left, but without any pesky harvesting! So there is NO danger of missing generations, and you can get as many bushes moving at once as you want! And if you want stat gain twins bushes at the top of the big room, it'll turn itself into a 2x2 herb square when it hits a wall!!!1
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 03:24 (GMT -5)

the rules are in the guidebook

If the bush has 0 or 1 neighboring bush, it will die in the next generation
If the bush has 2 or 3 neighboring bushes, it will survive through the next generation
If the bush has 4 neighboring bushes, it will die in the next generation
If an empty dungeon square has 3 neighboring bushes, a new bush will grow during the next generation
Births and deaths are simultaneous

also remember

ADOM adds to this: if a bush has two neighbors, it will remain the same during the next generation. If a bush has three neighbors, it will generate more blossoms during the next generation. These additions are important, since there are many stable patterns, but very few that will continue to blossom over time.

or did you perhaps mean the pattern?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/27/2004 at 03:26 (GMT -5) by Morio]
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6963 days, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

Some Guy: Although the pattern you had would have mostly disappeared in the next generation, by harvesting away the four middle bushes you would have a pattern that could be used to create four of the 'T' shapes (a T-tetromino), which are very useful in ADOM, as they can be precisely controlled, duplicated, and formed into squares. Four at once would be tricky to handle, though - converting them to gliders (which you've discovered - I'll get to them in a minute) would help.

The "R-pentomino" is generally known as the "f-pentomino" outside the game of Life. The twelve pentominoes (f, i, l, n, p, t, u, v, w, x, y, z) are a subset of the set of objects known as "polyominoes", which are quite interesting things, although not very relevant here.

The "patterns that grow outward from a single location, leaving bushes on every line, in the minimum number of turns" are known as spacefillers. There are spacefillers that cover O(n^2) squares after n steps (i.e. a constant growth rate in two dimensions - very fast), although the initial patterns are large enough that they'd be of little use in the small rooms available in ADOM. Plus they'd probably break when they hit the walls, destroying the stable interior pattern.

Your diagonal-moving pattern is a "glider". These are fairly common objects in the game of Life, and there are quite a few patterns that emit endless streams of gliders. However, like the spacefillers they're rather large for ADOM and would be almost impossible to assemble. If you managed to create one it could be used to fill a room with squares (gliders can be redirected through harvesting - a process which involves a conversion to a T-tetromino and back). This would be very slow, of course (and the number of bushes you'd harvest in setting the thing up would be far more than you'd ever need, so it'd really only be for the novelty value, or something).
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

I've read a lot about the game of life, so I know pretty much all of what you're telling me.

I don't mean to fill a room with herb squares with a glider gun, I just meant that turning a square into a glider would make it a lot easier to move that square to another line, since it doesn't need any harvesting. It would just need more holy water initially.

Spacefillers would be impossible in Adom, anyway... the big room would need to be at least three times as tall.

But it could be a lot of fun to make some pretty impressive herb patterns. A really big and cool looking period-3 oscillator called the pulsar could be formed from just 10 initial bushes. And I'm pretty sure it fits in the big room. The next challenge game somebody makes should include making something like that.
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

366 days, 4 hours, 14 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 18:33 (GMT -5)

For those interested I could recommend GoL simulators..
Like http://psoup.math.wisc.edu/ftp/pub/Life32v215.zip for instance...

This way you can control cycles as you want and fill your squares with just a tap on the mouse..
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6963 days, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 22:20 (GMT -5)

I hadn't actually compared the size of the big room to spacefillers - I mostly play 50-line games, where I thought they'd just fit initially.

With the pulsar, it'll form if you can get two T-tetrominoes such that there are five spaces between the "centre" bushes. It doesn't matter which way the T-tetrominoes are facing. This means it should actually be very easy to create one in the big room, since T-tetrominoes are easy to move in any direction (I'm not certain, but I think the normal-sized big room is exactly the minimum height needed for a pulsar to survive, so it'll need to start right in the middle row or you'll have to dig a bit). Since a T-tetromino can be duplicated through various methods, you only really need one to start with, or a normal square and some holy water.

I reckon "Eureka" would be a good one to create, too. All of the individual elements can be created from T-tetrominoes, and all but two of those are stable.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: