Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / reincarnation

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3901 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

do you believe in reincarnation (not sure bout the spelling) and spirits of the dead.
I do believe that you can be reborn after your death and that you somehow maybe trough hypnosis can find out who you have been in an earlier life
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
maastonakki^^hv
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 06:06 (GMT -5)

i was a russian soldier, prolly of higher rank, since when i was a baby i talked russian..
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 9 hours, 44 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 12:11 (GMT -5)

Nope, i believe that there is nothing after death, you die and you are indeed dead...
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7100 days, 9 hours, 53 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 12:35 (GMT -5)

i believe we connect the past and the future ... we are segments of lines of fate that interweave ...

When the line is stopped, we stop.

The material (atoms) recycles though =)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/10/2004 at 12:35 (GMT -5) by illumi]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 13:55 (GMT -5)

Armada, you sure have a positive view on life ;)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

Im an intellectual, were not too much into Theology :P
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6393 days, 5 hours, 54 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

Intellectual? Thats a big word, can you tell me what it means? (j/k).
"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 04:13 (GMT -5)

I don't believe in antything but I just hope there no heaven or hell... I hate fire
For the Horde!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 6 hours, 21 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

I'm a Christian. Classical, plain-vanilla Christian. I'm also a scientist; so I'm a Christian because I find it supremely logical.

Therefore... yes, Heaven and Hell. No reincarnation.

Though I do believe "ancestral memories" might exist on rare occasions (i.e., a modern Jewish teen having memories of concentration camps, or a modern American knowing what it was like to travel in a covered wagon). There's quite enough room on our DNA to cover that sort of thing; and it would explain the few "past life" occurrences that include unexplainable coincidence.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

then on to my next question:
which ones of you believe in the evolution theory
Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 10:58 (GMT -5)

I think evolution theory isn't a matter of believing anymore. It's a fact. I'd say, considering the existing evidences, it seems weird that some people still hold on to the idea of god creating all things. Basically, The Bible is just a large collection of mumbo jumbo...
But that's what all religions are about. Believing in something without any proofs. That makes me an atheist really, because I won't believe a single thing before it's proven to be true.
In my opinion, The whole notion of religion is stupid. Throughout the history, people have made stupid things in the name of religion. It has caused so much suffering and pain that it makes me wonder, why religions still exist.

Missed the topic a bit, did I...
___
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 12:00 (GMT -5)

yeah like look what the church did to poor old Galileo
For the Horde!
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

Galileo has poor interpersonal skill and survival skill methinks (...) ... although it is very noble of him to defend what he thinks is true

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 7/11/2004 at 13:28 (GMT -5) by illumi]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 21:12 (GMT -5)

Galileo, yeah. And a whole bunch of other people in medieval Europe--bloody Mary, anyone? Believing you're the only true religion (whether it's true or not) gives some people a severe power trip, with really bad results. I don't count them as true Christians, anyway; read the New Testament and you'll see how there's ever so much more love and forgiveness than heretic-bashing.

Oddly enough, Draco, the reason you're an atheist is the reason I'm a Christian: I won't believe something that doesn't make sense. Obviously, one of us is mistaken; but at least neither of us is blinded by faith.

Faith is only valid if you put it in something that's true--whether that's evolution or Jesus Christ. Anyone who believes something just on "blind faith" and no evidence needs to get a brain.

There are of course those things that can't be completely proven; with those, we have to look at the circumstantial evidence and see which is the most likely to be true... then put our faith in that. Which is what's led me to Christianity...

(And the religion debates start again. Keep it civil, people. I have a delete button and will not hesitate to use it...)
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6965 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 21:25 (GMT -5)

I think that faith is an integral part of human life, but I think the notion of religions as such is a poor example of human creativity. You can't disagree with Draco's point on stupid things done "in the name of (insert deity here)". I actually read an interesting peice explaining religions as a mental parasite recently. The basics of it outlined the similarities between religions and a parasite - The religion/parasiste needs a host to survive, the relegion/parasite will spread and multiply through its host to others, taking more and more, the religion/parasite will usually offer nothing in return or will offer something that isn't actually going to benefit the host. Kinda makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Or you could just reason simply that all monotheistic religions cancel each other out...
Tell me how to get stronger....
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 22:24 (GMT -5)

Religion is beneficial in many ways ... education, medical service, a church for couples to be married in, introducing new jobs to unemployed, funeral and graveyard, giving your children christians name, training good singers and musicians in chorus, etc etc
So an established religion can take care of your whole life. It is quite unfair to compare it with parasite ...
Bezrend UNLOG
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 00:26 (GMT -5)

Most of my Christian friends are of the belief that evolution occured, but that it was set into motion by God, who created the Universe and defined the rules that allowed worlds to be formed. Makes sense to me... I'm agnostic, so I've no idea.

Reincarnation - I don't think so. At least, not back to this world. Maybe a higher plane of existance, I guess... you could call it an afterlife, Heaven and Hell perhaps?
Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 06:00 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure at all that one of us is mistaken Iridia. It's just that you have faith in something that can't be proven to be true. on the other hand, it can't be proven wrong neither...

Blah... This conversation isn't leading anywhere.

And for Illumi, from my point of view, Religion is all but beneficial. If we ignored the existence of any higher power, then all religious activity would be just mindless waste of recources and time, which gives nothing in return.

Not am I only an atheist, but I'm starting to notice some signs of pessimism inside me. Have to start thinking a bit more positively...

Swiftfingers
Registered user

Last page view:

5701 days, 13 hours, 36 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

Crap, I never thought I'd see this topic on an ADOM site!

I don't believe in reincarnation, but that doesn't mean that it isn't real. I very well could be wrong.

Like Iridia, most people would say that I am a Christian, but I don't like to call myself that. That term comes with so much baggage and generally most people think that they know what it means to be a Christian. Thus they pigeon hole me.

No, I like to tell people that I try and follow the teachings of Jesus. From my experience so far, most people don't know what that means, thus I can just be me. And I like just being me with all my mistakes and weaknesses.

As far as evolution, I like the idea that God is behind it. But I wasn't there and so I couldn't tell you for sure how we all got here. It doesn't really matter to me.

Draco,

You have to define religious activity in order to determine if it is a waste of resources and time. For me, I like the idea of taking care of the poor and such stuff. But that is not the limit of my religious activity. It is merely one aspect of it. To those people, I don't think they would call that a waste.

I don't actually like the putting activities into "boxes" like that, seperating my life into different spheres (work, religion, homelife, etc...) For me, life is much more complex and holistic, such that each part reflects and impinges on all the other parts so that who can say where one activity begins and ends versus another activity.

Well this is long enough. Cheers!!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

You can't prove either side true. You can't prove that there is a God, or that there isn't. An atheist has an odd brand of "faith", too. I'd say only the agnostic truly has no faith in anything... though why said agnostic can feel comfortable sitting on the fence like that is anyone's guess.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 11:25 (GMT -5)

feel comfortable sitting on the fence? ... because they can see other ppl fight

"Yeah! Beat him!!"
"Yesh. Right at the head!"

and then drink coca cola

"Ahh ... great"
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Have you ever heard an agnostic start a war because of beliefs? Christians and Muslims start holy wars all the time, religion is taken a bit too seriously these days
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 03:19 (GMT -5)

Agnostics have a belief as well. They believe it is impossible to know either way. They don't fight wars because there aren't enough of them.

Picture a really heavy rugby game, with christians on one side and muslims on the other. The agnostic is the weedy, 4'8" guy sitting on the sidelines. Think he's going to join in?

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

Armada, "all the time"???
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

i heard somewhere that Christians and Muslims are having the same God (!!!) ... wondering what would this God think if it is really so .................. O.O

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/13/2004 at 10:51 (GMT -5) by illumi]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 10:32 (GMT -5)

I've a feeling he's seriously disappointed in members of both religions.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

I heard that the Pope has 666 tattoed on the back of his neck, but I don't really believe it.
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: