Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Midgame...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4513 days, 1 minute and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

Usually this part of the game is easy when I play a gnomish elementalist. At level 20 I've got the RotHK, done the ToEF, killed Keriax, cleared DF and the Library... then it's straight diving. But with my current hurthling farmer it's a little more complicated.
First a water trap destroyed this char's manual of bridge building and no wand of cold was generated before he arrived near the piranha lake. After 10 days of game time scumming for anything to help crossing the lake (and getting Whirlwind as random drop from a rat in the process :)), an ice vortex finally came in sight. By luck it didn't explode when descending the stairs so I lured it near the lake and it exploded there, freezing 2 out of 3 squares needed to reach the central part. So now I have the choice of either trying to cross the last square or scumming again for wand of cold/ice vortex/white dragon. With 267 hps I chose the former... and ended up with 6 hps left on the other side of the lake. Wow. RotHK done.
Now what to do? It's day 60 that's why I'd go for the ToEF but I'm not sure a level 20 farmer could survive there. Good points about the char: Bracers of War, SLBs (though I wouldn't risk them in the ToEF), crowned with fire immunity, one ring of ice, one fireproof blanket, plenty of healing stuff, teleport (wand) + teleport control. Bad points about the char: only 267 hps, best weapon is a mithril spear (though I could use Big Punch or the hammer of the gods for more damage), no ranged attacks based from cold.
And at this point I don't see how to get more experience fast enough...
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6300 days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 18:17 (GMT -5)

267, ring of ice would prevent items from being destroyed, lots of healing stuff.. Could fight dragon with guerilla only if... (see below)

Have invisibility, so you wouldn't have to kill all those monsters at the fire lvl?
You could try ID scumming for ice attack items.

I don't think the char. would survive without some sort of ice attack, otherwise it will be very hard to fight there
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Well it's day 60 and i already spent 10 days scumming for a wand of cold without getting one... so I decided to go for the ToEF with the current equipment.
Well as expected it's *hard*. Two tension rooms full of fire giant kings on the first two levels... and those damn monsters hit for a lot of damage when they punch through your armor (100-150 hps). Strangely every corpse I ate gave the "your muscles bulge!" message but strength (currently at 22) never went up. One threatening room on the third level full of... frost giants! :)
On the good side one of the giants dropped an eternium spear. Now I'm on the last level at the entrance of the temple... and a couple of hours away from leaving home for 3 weeks of vacation.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3904 days, 23 hours, 55 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

you always get the "your muscles bulge" message when eating fire giant king corpses
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

You thought those tension rooms were tough, here's a word of warning,that wyrm is super tough, (with his buddies) he can confuse, corrupt, and cast spells at you, not only that but hits pretty well too. How about spellbooks? You could scum the very low ID (back and forth through the first room). Without ice/ invisibility beat the wyrm and his pits of grues, drakes (not tough), elementals and demons? Its possible, just have those potions around.
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 18:32 (GMT -5)

Well the grues/demons/elementals don't seem to be very threatening (a few of them got quickly killed on the first levels). For spellbooks, I tried to learn basic spells like Darkness and didn't manage to get a successful read (some of the books drained To or exploded which made me stop trying... prolly cos of the low Le and the fact of being a farmer). For the ACW I got the BoW and a ring of the clear mind... and a bunch of dragon slaying missiles. Maybe this won't be enough to survive... well... I've got 3 weeks now to think about a strategy.
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6300 days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 19:58 (GMT -5)

Dragon slaying? Great! You might have a chance, he doesn't heal too fast, hit from far away as possible (or as close). Don't forget one thing about chaos minions, (aka monsters in chaos temples) they're always tougher than your avg. monster of the species.
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7103 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

I've once beaten the ACW with a combination of quarrels of darkness and quarrels of penetrating. Quarrel of darkness gives time for you to run and heal and change equipments and take care of other monsters ... quite useful IMO ^^
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6855 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

I've always beaten him up melee. Even with wiz chars. By that part of the game they are usually strong melee with good eq.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3904 days, 23 hours, 55 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

I also usually take him out in melee, jus get him to follow you and then when you are in the hallway you have dug just confuse him and take him out
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 at 14:44 (GMT -5)

Well I had some time to play today and the fight was a piece of cake. Discarded a few fire demons in melee and lured the ACW in the tunnel I dug to enter the temple. Five quarrels of dragon slaying and he was critically injured... finished him with rocks (the dumbass kept casting confusion instead of fighting).
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1891 days, 21 hours, 12 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

This is a really silly question...can you use a potion of exchange to change him into a rat?

just thought id ask
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5830 days, 5 hours, 42 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 00:23 (GMT -5)

no you can't
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1891 days, 21 hours, 12 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

thanks for reply. I thought it would be a long shot...but hey :P

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: