Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / kicking stairs at surface lvl

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6311 days, 3 hours and 31 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 at 18:24 (GMT -5)

Hi, has anyone checked the effects of kicking stairs at surface level, i.e. bug temple or dwarven graveyard?

Technically this should be a safe way of increasing ST, as you can't have the level collapsing on top of you...

I've tried this but didn't get results, maybe because at that point my PC already had 25 ST and it won't go up so easily. Plus I didn't push it too hard just in case, as I seem to recall some chars dying because of terminally broken legs or something (can't remember if it was by kicking statues, but don't really want to take that risk right now)

shed some light on this? :P
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 03:24 (GMT -5)

while the level maybe doesn't fall down on you, the satirs also only go downwards so there really isn't anything to kick.
has anyone tried kicking downstairs in normal dungeons, this shouldn'tmake the roof crash down upon you.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5830 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 05:14 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure, but I think that's not true that kicking stairs increase your str. I just think it's another of tb's jokes.
Haven't tried it, though, but once. Died.
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 17:36 (GMT -5)

Not so, I do know that kicking regular stairs *does* increase str, did it with some weak char I had some time ago and received a strength increase almost immediately after the kicking :) (did it with other chars as well but they all got crushed)

and Morio, I agree with that but notice that you still get the regular "Ouch!" message even though it doesn't make that much sense. The question is, does the game understand the difference between those stairs and "normal" ones?
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6968 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 20:07 (GMT -5)

Tried kicking (up) stairs in a dungeon today with a ranger (starting st was sub 20) and I found that no matter how long I kicked for, no st increase was given. Did get the "Ouch!" message though. (Playing 1.1.1)
Tell me how to get stronger....
satyricon
Registered user
sir Greybald 'tama' Balorg

Last page view:

5835 days, 8 hours and 24 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 03:37 (GMT -5)

I started to kick stairs str 5 hurthling wiz, in the ID. I think that it trains your str and go up to 10 after i was crushed by a collapsing dungeon
Naiyor
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

I tried kicking the stairs in the ID...didn't get the increase...but I did lose another character....so many dead...so many stupid experiments...ah well HE DIED IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

a good reason to die, at least...

*sadistic grin*
Simeon
Registered user

Last page view:

7169 days, 11 hours, 56 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 at 09:53 (GMT -5)

I got couple of hints about this.

-Kill monsters until you need anymore about 10 exp to reach next level. Kick the stairs about 10-40 times ( Depends heavily your characters strength! I also recommend kicking the stairs always at dungeon level 1. The dungeon doesn't crash easily if you're on dungeon lvl 1. ). Then
go get exp. A couple of monsters should do if you did like I asked. The increasing of the strength is almost guaranteed when you level up ( Almost. ). After kicking the stairs, you need to get lvl in 1 game hour or I don't guarantee succesful effect.

Give it a try!
MikeyU
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 at 22:50 (GMT -5)

Wear a ring of weakness so your strength is low then maybe the dungeon won't collapse
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

If it even works at all, this would seem to me a crazily dangerous way to gain strength... why not just carry around a Burdened load?
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/26/2004 at 17:23 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

Agreed, but it's nice to do some research on game mechanics. I seem to be more intent on figuring out these small curiosities these days...
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 14 hours, 58 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 21:11 (GMT -5)

true happiness lies in seeing the small miracles of the world.

oh, wait, wrong world... ^^
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: