Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / October

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7898 days, 10 hours, 27 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 06:38 (GMT -5)

Here I was trying to be a firestarter, but no-one took my bait... Oh well, I'll have train some more :D

I realize that I too am weak in the sense of escaping from reality. I just don't use any chemical substances for that. I read a good fantasy/scifi book or maybe play a computer game (maybe that's why I like rpg's so much...). Some people would label me as a geek for that, but who cares?

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7780 days, 11 hours, 2 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

Hey Arion its better to be a geek that addicted to drugs.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

7735 days, 4 hours, 26 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2001 at 05:17 (GMT -5)

So tell me WHY it drugs should be illegal?

[Edited at 05:17, Thursday, November 22, 2001 by Kayaman]
Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7898 days, 10 hours, 27 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2001 at 09:12 (GMT -5)

Anonymous Geekoholists meeting:

"Hello. My name is Arion and I'm a geek." :D

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 hours, 53 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2001 at 11:05 (GMT -5)

Kayaman: Because they are harmfull, addictive and can runin the lives of people who don't have enough self controll to use them with "rason".

Granted tobaco, alcohol, gambeling and even exessive gaming can do the same, but I don't think it's a valid argument to say that because alcohol is legal, and people can get addicted to alcohol and ruin theyr lives and even die, then there is no reason to not allow drugs. Yes alcohol is can be bad, but it won't exactly improve things is you allow both alcohol and drugs...

I think a better question would be "why schould drugs be legal?".

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2001 at 06:26 (GMT -5)

Erik rides again with dat soon legendary "schould".
The Question is why dem should be illegal couse back then when there was no laws about drugs there were no problems until drugs from many different cultures mixed and there was no really any rules about using (exsamle) opium in England.
Opium didn't couse more trouble in india than alcohol in england but when it was taken to a very different culture, peoples didn't know about it and had problems couse there were no ppl why knew how ta look after addicts.
"Natural" situation is that there are no laws.
So why using drugs should count as a one of laws?
It just couses fuss and more problem to addicts.
AND herb really has nuttin to do with real drugs.
It doesn't couse physical addiction and harmfull effects are mostly lesser than positive.

[Edited at 06:28, Friday, November 23, 2001 by Kayaman]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2001 at 21:27 (GMT -5)

The main problem is cultural I'll grant you that. When liquir with high alcohol content was introduced to the native americans it caused a LOT of problems, maybe even more that drugs are causing in our cociety.

The problem is that if we say that "ok, let's legalize cannabis", just how should we go about that? The government would want to have some way of preventing underage kids from getting theyr hands on drugs, legal or not. So they would want to regulate import and growing of the herbs. Then there is a tricky choice to make. Schould they tax drugs the way they do alcohol and tobacho and risk people buying and growing a lot of it illegaly anyway. If not then should the reduce the tax on alcohol to prevent everyone from switching to drugs because they give more "buzz" for less money, and the result of that would be more alcohol consumption and more problems with that on top of any new drug addicts that are bound to aprear. All in all I think it will actualy cause more problems than it's worth...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ade
Registered user
Being perverse is bad

Last page view:

7710 days, 8 hours, 23 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2001 at 20:29 (GMT -5)

About tax/regulating etc. problems, and problems about the total usage of alcohol and drugs - have a look at the charts of Netherlands - or PORTUGAL - they have no difference to the charts of the countries where drugs are illegal.
It just seems so hard for some people to believe that junkies will use drugs were they illegal or not. And the main thing that causes harm to people in drugs is the criminality linked to drugs - they are bought from the streets, and their high prizes in street market make them rob for the money, and dealing with the street dealers WILL eventually get the drug-users linked to the world of REAL crime.
By legalizing drugs and having them perhaps even sold in pharmacies etc., the street market, and thus the criminality linked to it, would be eliminated.
And the point is - WHO do the drugs harm? The answer is: No one but those who USE them. And about that, read the lines above about street market. It's just SICK how much legal resources are completely WASTED due to conservative drug policy. With all the money the police forces in Finland, for example, now spend to their drug-hunt converted into let's say homicide or theft, we would really have a safer society to live in.

And about people who use drugs: People who have sometimes tried/used drugs are NOT junkies who have their lives gone all straight to hell, but normal citizens - take Bill Gates or George W. Bush; they don't seem junkies to me. (Although the latter might not be too intelligent in other ways? ;) ). And mention ONE truly GREAT artist (writer/poet, musician, painter, etc...) who would NOT have used drugs or alcohol? They are the deepest source of INSPIRATION to the great arts of mankind, although the masses have always been reluctant to admit it. In many native tribes of Asia, North America etc... only shamans and the most wise men of the tribe were allowed to eat hallucinative mushrooms

Of course we shouldn't IMMEDIATELY go and legalize all drugs, but have a campaign who would really tell people REAL and CORRECT information about drugs, why NOT to use them (like they do today, except that today's drug-preaching really has no effect, it's clearly subjective and implausible), and start by legalizing the milder drugs (like cannabis) first. That way we would prevent the explosion of drug-usage after legalizing.

Hmm.. I think I've said enough for now, I tend to exaggerate, too, always when the discussion goes to drugs. I just can't help to notice how helpless and handicapped the whole western world seems to be before this concept.

You make my life and times
A book of bluesy saturdays
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2001 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

I realise that not everyone who try drugs automaticaly turn into junkies, however a small percentage do, and if you get more users overall then the number of junkies will increase acordingly.

Besides, who is to say that legalizing it would eliminate all drug related crime? Seeng as we are only talking about legalizing, what 1 or 2 "harmless" drugs, there will still be all the others ones to worry about. The police would still have to worry about all the "hard" drugs (the ones that cause physical addiction, and the psychadelic(sp?) ones), so it's a bit overly simplistic so say that you eliminate drug related crime by legalizing cannabis...

Besides from what I hear the drugs people are arguing to get legalized are already dirt cheap (at least that's my impression, I might be wrong though). If anything legalizing them would make them more expensive because there are bound to be new taxes imposed on it. At least here in Norway, it's probably cheaper to buy cannabis off the street than it is to buy a 10 pack of sigarettes at the supermarket...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2001 at 07:17 (GMT -5)

Jan heres a complement.Most admins tend to lock forums after they tend to sway of the topic.I hate it when that happens.After all this one started of with bathin temperatures and now its come to drugs.
I agree with you completley with the legalisation thingy.

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 9 hours, 4 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

using a drugs means that you didn't have enough willpower to reject them => you are weak and useless, and you'll soon kill yourself with drugs => good for me
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

Well put Stas.Drugs are for the weak!!

Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 at 02:02 (GMT -5)

No no, herb is for strong ppl to make dem better, if ya got problems then you are weeeaak.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 at 15:33 (GMT -5)

No narcotics that I know off make people better. They might make you feel good for a while, but there are no beneficial effect. At least not for already healthy people, there is some presidence for using it as a pain killer for cronicaly sick people, but that's about it.

Besides it has been proven that the long term effects of smoking cannabis is much worse than smoking tobacho. Lung cancer and other problems are highly likely for regular cannabis smokers...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6122 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

Shit makes people non-violent (I'm just drunk at the moment), but it is true... everybody is just happy. no "I'm gonna kill ya all moments...

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: