Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Newbie questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

6920 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

Well, I can't quite claim the title (excuse?) of newbie because do have many hours of gameplay experience, but I don't go for spoilers and I suck at rogue-likes in general; I can never take out the southeast caverns, be it Keethrax or the carpenter.

So these are just a few questions which I don't consider spoily to know the answers to. Little things that I've thought of.

(1) One question I've wondered for a while is about traps. If I create a trap, and a monster steps on it, will that monster be less likely to activate the trap the next time it steps on the trap? (A few hours ago my cute dog stepped in an acid trap twice, but does this apply to monsters smarter than a canine, like named monsters, in particular Skriek, the cloaked ratling?)

(1b) Can monsters 'discover a trap at this place!' like I can? i.e. Some traps can activated yet dodged/avoided, so there's two levels that need to be followed through on. But, once a teleport trap is activated, it always works, right?

(2) Also, out of curiosity, is it a common practice to pick a spot to dump items for storage and restocking? Terinyo or Lawenilothel, for instance? Unless I have a wand of door creation I like to use the east side of Yergius's place in the outlaw settlement.

(3) I know that when they're hostile monsters open does to pursue me, but do (presently) friendly monsters open doors? If I were to, for instance, lure Skriek in an open-doored area and then create a door in the entrance gap, would I have to lock it?

(4) If I were to create a trap and a monster activated it and took damage, would that monster then become angry at me? Even if it didn't see me set the trap? Even if I switched places with it to activate the trap?

(5) If I were to create a two-space room, both spaces having dangerous traps, and lock someone like Skriek in that room, would that be a foolproof way of killing him? What if the traps were corruption traps?

(6) Can I trap an area that already has a trap?

I'd like to post more questions when they come to mind. Thanks!

Matt
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6510 days, 3 hours, 57 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 02:53 (GMT -5)

1. Not 100% sure on this one. Monsters do seem to be marginally less likely to set off traps twice but not to the same extent as pcs. It may differ between different monsters.

1b. No, I'm pretty sure they can't - the trap will always go off the first time they step on it. They can as you say dodge them though.

2. I do this sometimes. Not often in the early game as I don't have much to stash but I do later - I just never want to see 'your heap of 6 blessed scrolls of chaos resistance is destroyed!'

3. Friendly monsters can open doors. You'd have to lock it.

4. I don't think the monster would become hostile. It would however appear on your kill list (*if* you created the trap) so this is not a good way to deal with cats. Note that if you set off a fireball trap yourself, any monsters injured by the explosion *will* become angry.

5. Not foolproof no, but it might work. You'd have to make sure he kept moving over the two squares, and then the traps might run out (all traps have a certain number of 'charges', some more than others) before he died

6. No.

By the way, why are you so intent on killing Skriek?
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

6920 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Thanks for answering these!

Killing him? No. Getting him out of the way, as he's the only mobile monster in Lawenilothehl that I can't kill so easily and therefore has the potential to pick up my stuff. I can lure him to the outskirts of Lawenilothehl and dump him somewhere far away, but since he's on my mind for that reason, I used him for most of the examples.

Matt
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6851 days, 6 hours, 15 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 18:27 (GMT -5)

use the ministrel hut to stash things, he doesnt move outside some steps from his hut.
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

6920 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

Okay, a few more questions now:

1. On the origin of writhing masses of primal chaos: can they spawn as well as be formed by excessive corruption traps? Also, if they spawn, can you sense them like you can sense corruption traps?

2. Does giving food/spending time with random monsters have a purpose, in general? (I mean, if a bandit suddenly tells me he's lonely, what are the effects of acquiescing to, or declining, spending time with him?)

3. When the game says I sense danger (sometimes the feeling passes) is it predicting or creating that danger?

4. How long does 'doomed' status last for?
5. How long does 'cursed' status last for?
6. What's the difference?

7. Do rings and/or amulets increase your rate of hunger like in Nethack?

8. Is an iron ration more or less nutritious than a large ration?

I'm sure I'll think of more sometime, but these have been on my mind lately. If anyone can answer any of these, I'd really appreciate it!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 18 hours, 2 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

1. Yes, they can spawn, but only at high-danger levels; no, you can't sense them then.

2. Yes; it gives you a smalll lawful boost.

3. Both. It's a chance for a difficult monster to be generated; if the "feeling passes" you made the roll.

4. Until removed.

5. Ditto.

6. "Doomed" is worse; Cursed only makes the RNG biased against you, but Doomed gives possibilities of instakills in various situations and biases your god against you (won't answer most prayers).

7. Yes.

8. The same. It's just lighter.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6963 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

1. Yep WMOPC can spawn as well (and are even set monsters in some levels, like the stone circle IIRC) AFAIK you don't get a sense message for them.

2. I have had this before and I don't think it means anything, though there are some monsters that can be tamed by giving them food (eg stomafilla to beggars, bones to dogs etc)

3. This message indicates the game is rolling a dice to see if an out of depth monster will be gernerated next, where if the feeling passes the dice roll fails and the monster is not spawned. If it does not pass however, you should be extra careful until you leave the level.

4/5/6. There is no set time limit to 'doomed'/'cursed' status, it stays with you forever unless it removed by some method (eg lots of sacrificing at altars). Doomed/cursed can also be an intrinsic given by an item, in which case it is gone once you unequip the item. Cursed/doomed is the converse of Lucky/Fate smiles, where Doomed is the worst of the two. They basically modify all dice rolls a little bit against you, doomed more so than cursed. It is possible to have both at the same time, as well as lucky and fate smiles (you can have all four at once). Lucky/Fate Smiles does not out weigh cursed/doomed however, if you have all four your luck will still be bad, if you have two corresponding opposites (eg lucky and cursed) your luck will still be bad. Basically you need to have more lucky intrinsics than unlucky (or none at all) to be unaffected by the unlucky intrinsics.

7. If the jewellery is an artifact it will increase your food consumption rate (all artifacts do), however I am pretty sure most others don't. Some do, such as rings of invisibility (this one seems to be a killer)

8. The guide book says that both offer the same level of satiation, but I find that the large ration is more satiating, though if you compared a blessed iron ration with a cursed large ration, in this case the iron ration would probably be the more filling of the two.
Tell me how to get stronger....
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6510 days, 3 hours, 57 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 at 02:48 (GMT -5)

Note that although cursed/doomed are theoretically 'equivalent' to lucky/fate smiles, having bad luck is a much more significant effect than having good luck. Having monsters punch through your armour and damage it with every hit is no fun at all.

on 7: iridia, is that true? I thought only artifacts/items of invisibility increased hunger.
Iridia (u)
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

Amulets of hunger do (as, like you said, invisibility-granting and artifact items do). That's what I meant... hope wasn't too unclear.
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6019 days, 12 hours, 38 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 at 05:51 (GMT -5)

Not anewbie to the game either but since I've only once reached level 20 I'm far from being a master. A couple of questions:

1) In my time playing I have only ever once recieved the chance to wish through a ring of djinn summoning. I also once saw a spellbook of wishing in a dungeon shop in one of my first ever games (but in my newness to the game I thought that no one could ever afford such a thing - foolish, 100000 seems paltry these days).

Looking though these pages I see people refering to wishes as if they are a common thing. Are they (and if so, how?) or are they very rare?

2) At level 15 in a game I was playing yesterday I got hold of a ring of clear mind which I blessed. I went into the pyramid to get the mummy wrappings but was taken apart by the 2 jackel demons. The ring didn't seem to help at all, though it does a great job usually - normally against liches. I'm now hesitant to take on the guardian of the Ring of the High King (in future games) with this so called confusion resistance ring - shredded by piranhas may look cool on the high scores list, but I don't want it down ther twice.

Any advice, was this just bad look with the RNG or do I need a second form of confusion resistance?
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 at 14:34 (GMT -5)

They aren't ultra rare, I find 1 or 2 average per game I play seriously. On the other hand, never got a Surge of Power...
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

Hmmm. I'd estimate a player finds about two wishes (RODS or wand of wishing) per game. That's not including polypiling rings (dipping them in blessed potions of exchange) however, which is imho the best way to get wishes. For that reason I always pick up every ring I find (they're only 1s) and save all my potions of exchange until near the end (so I can dip rings in a high danger level area, while wearing ankh and 2 blessed rings of luck) I once got 16 rings of djinni summoning this way.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

Forgot to answer the second question.
Ring of the clear mind helps enormously in resisting confusion, but it isn't guaranteed. Wearing two (or another source of resistance) cuts down the chances of being confused (and the time confusion lasts) a lot. Having high willpower also helps - equip the orb of water if you can.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: