Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / The Bug Area

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

ElectroGnome
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 at 02:08 (GMT -5)

What is the bug area (look west from minstrel house) all about? Those killer bugs (many attacks, high speed, great PV & DV, reproducing, etc...) are awful! Has anybody cheked the inside area? What's there?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 8 hours, 19 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2001 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

They are nasty, but a level 1 wizard can take them out with both hands tied behind his back as long as he has invisibility and a few bolt spells...

Anyway there are complete lists of the loot in some other thread regarding the temple, but to sum things up: There are several VERY good weapons and a few realy good armors (no artefacts). You also find a couple of usefull wands with an obscene amount of charges, lots of scrolls of magic mapping and quite a few scrolls of chaos resistance, and lots of healing potions and so forth...

The best part is usualy the fact that even without scumming you can quickly double or tripple your characters speed by eating bug corpses (this will be harder in the next version aparently).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
The Runemaster
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

Eating those bugs is quite frankly moronic!

As for the temple itself, I have found no use whatsoever for the statues inside the temple.
Has anyone any idea on how to use them?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 at 13:14 (GMT -5)

The speed bonus is quite nice. Wilpower can always be increased later, and if you have a few poionts of exchange handy you can use them to max out a coupe of stats... The abuse will be toned down a lot in the next version though.

As for the status, kick them to pieces, lots of treasure to be had.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7931 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

That's all well and stuff but what exactly does it do when you?
It says something like you feel elated when smashing the statue (I can't remember the exact messege) but it tells me it has some kind of special effect.
What about smashing the Thomas Biskup anagram statue and it says that the itching has totally gone, what does that mean?

Sengoku
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7931 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 07:19 (GMT -5)

This maybe should be in the spoilers section...

Sengoku
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 19:32 (GMT -5)

Just in case :)

Spoiler
I think destroying all the statues prevent the generation of more bugs. You'll also get an entry under your acomplishments saying "he/she stoppred the generation of nasty bugs" or something like that.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Mocha
Registered user
"Oops...i'm doomed?"

Last page view:

7756 days, 6 hours, 34 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 at 03:28 (GMT -5)

Yea but doesn't eating the bugs lower your willpower or something? It's not too good for those dependent on willpower and those taht haven't entered the RIFT....

--"Blam BLAm BlAm...You've just hit urself to death...you die..."
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5665 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 at 04:06 (GMT -5)

I lowers willpower very much, I think something like -6/-12 depending on what you eat... And I hear in 1.1.1 you don't get the same insane dex/speed bonuses you used to get. Plus the bugs see invisible nowadays. And the rewards you get from breaking the statues have been toned down. So all in all it's been made into a less important place.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5767 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2003 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

J., you still seem to get the speed bonuses, but the Dex bonuses happen less and less the higher your Dex is. As you say, it trashes your willpower, but that can be fixed afterwards by eating morgia roots.

Does anyone have any good tips on surviving the Bug Temple in 1.1.1? I've had one character make it through there and two get killed so far.
Yfkar
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2003 at 06:21 (GMT -5)

Casting darkness spells so that the bugs don't see you might be worth trying (worked in 1.0.0)
TBD
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2003 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

Yfkar: from what I have read in newsgroups the bugs are no longer stopped by darkness (IIRC someone tried that and was assaulted by the bugs). It would seem that considering the boosted bugs and reduced rewards the bug place is no longer worth visiting.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6970 days, 22 hours, 14 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2003 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

In 1.1.x I avoid that place... but maybe I'll try it later with my gnome elementalist. Improved fireball should be quite efficient on them.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5767 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2003 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

Good idea - my one successful character (a Drakish Wizard) hurled lots of Improved Fireballs into the big room with the statues. Maybe that's part of why she survived and the others didn't. Unfortunately, that doesn't help if you don't know Improved Fireball.

Maybe avoiding that place is also a good idea, but I feel I need the high speed to face Andor Drakon.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: