Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / About Luck...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

theCelt
Registered user
White Archdruid

Last page view:

7161 days, 21 hours, 49 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

does it help to wear luck giving items if you already have the lucky intrensic? For instance does it help to wear a ring of luck if you are wearing the ankh? I know that the ankh also increases luck as a hidenn property asside from the lucky and FS intrinsics but how good is it? I have Lucky and FS intinsics already so would it be better to wear a amulet of mana or something like that?

Dan
"I must have rolled 3d20 and gotten a 60 on my girlfreind check."-- I actualy said this and she thought it was cool.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 12 hours, 25 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 at 20:12 (GMT -5)

Depends. The ankh also "increases your luck" (i.e., increases the amount that Lucky/Fate Smiles work on you). But ask yourself: Will it bring me more benefit to have extra mana, or should I go for the all-around but weaker effect from the ankh?
Die Gedanken sind Frei

The_CyberShadow
Registered user
Loading l33t animation...

Last page view:

6286 days, 14 hours, 1 minute and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 at 04:31 (GMT -5)

Remember that the mana stat also affects the luck rolls. The higher, the better.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/2/2004 at 04:31 (GMT -5) by The_CyberShadow]
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

RoL, and Ankh both increase the raw # of dice rolls, you always get the most favorable dice roll... eg. blessed Ankh gives 2 "more" rolls for any outcome. eg a gush of water hits you, your 'foo' rusts, but w/ a blessed Ankh on you get two more "rolls" and you always get the best result hopefully where nothing rusts. A RoL adds either a full roll, or a modifier in your favor. (im assuming a cursed RoL hurts your modifier)
for the best result wear 2 BRoL, BAnkh, w/ a Blessed climbing set, when falling down the Rift, equipment loss is minimal.
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7097 days, 15 hours, 57 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 at 11:46 (GMT -5)

Concerning the position of the stairs in the Big Room,
I'm this lucky --> "<>"
XD
and i got also 2 rivers, 2 vaults, 2 neutral altars, 1 pool, 1 book store and 1 forge in the first ten levels of CoC
Could you tell what misfortune lying ahead would there be?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/1/2004 at 11:46 (GMT -5) by illumi]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 22 hours, 36 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

raven1, where's that info from?

...just curious, I think I've read that theory before a couple of times, but I can't remember anyone saying who came up with that idea.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

I mostly just wear the Ankh for the DV/PV anyway... overall I'd say it's better than any ammy of mana.

And I believe that multiple sources of the lucky/fate smiles intrinsics doesn't add anything, they don't stack. But I suppose it doesn't hurt to wear every possible luck enhancing thing anyway.

I choose to be very paranoid instead of depending on luck. Dropping everything I own to kick every locked door early on... dropping nearly everything before going down the rift... etc.
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

J. the info is a combo of information from Andy Williams Guide, the ADOM in game manual, and some educated guessing, after 20+ yrs of paper roll playing, and too much time on 20s dice.
I make a few assumtions on probability, but the ADOM manual is clear, fractions are rounded up in the players favor... hence my #'s...Luck is one of the more crucial factors in the game.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5195 days, 10 hours, 38 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

The theories people come up with are always interesting ;) (To be fair, I've had a few bogus theories of my own as well.) I have yet to see a single thing that gives you the effect of 'roll x times and take the best roll'...

Here's what I've got for Luck:

Good Luck:
+2 if you're blessed
+3 if you have the lucky intrinsic (might have to be natural, not sure)
+6 for fate smiles (same)
+1d12+1 if it's your birthday
+2 for every equipped item that grants luck (equipped correctly - a ring of luck weilded as a weapon, for example, gives no bonus)
+4 for every equipped item that grants fate smiles (equipped correctly)
If (1d100 <= Mana) Then +Max(1d(Mana * 0.1+2)-1,4)
+2 for anhk

Bad Luck:
+1d(Numer of cursed items * 3)-1
+1d(Number of doomed items * 8)-1
+2d2 if cursed (again, not sure if that only applies to natural or not)
+3d5 if doomed (same)
if some weird CheckSum is set, +1d200 (OUCH - Possibly related to the 'Out of luck' feature?)

Kinda weird how it's done... good luck's big random chance is done at the end while bad luck's randomness is done for each check.

So... if you're +Lucky, +FateSmiles, +Cursed, +Doomed, your net change of luck will be, on average: -3. What this actually means depends on the actual check, of course.

Looks like cursed isn't all that bad (especially if countered by FateSmiles and Lucky), but doomed is really nasty. So wielding Executor (I love that axe) isn't _too_ dangerous ;)
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6969 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

And how does luck affect gameplay? To get more vaults/tension rooms when entering a new level should I maximize or minimize my luck? Or to get a surge of power for example?
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5195 days, 10 hours, 38 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

Surges of power are created when an item is spawened as one of the handful of items that are always spawned when you enter a level. Basically, if an artifact is spawned in this way, it is instantly a surge of power. (I go into more detail about this in another post.) Basically, since that is still item generation (and luck has no effect on any item generation) luck doesn't affect that at all.

Tension romos have a 1/5 chance of appearing in most places, luck doesn't matter. Vaults are more complicated (like Bee/Ant hives, I haven't really deciphered what your chances of finding one are, partially because they are at least somewhat pre-determined and the subroutines are confusing)... I'm pretty sure luck still had no effect on thier creation though.

The most important effects of luck are seen for item destruction and combat damage, I'd say. I haven't researched everything luck affects too throughly yet though.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: