Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Weaponsmith - heavy anvil?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

hamster
Registered user

Last page view:

6579 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

Oh woe is me! Virgil met his demise last night in a certain underwater cave. It was easy... too easy... He started to become too blaise about things. Hitting the keyboard keys a wee bit too fast... not enough thinking. Virgil was washed away by a Dragon Turtle. Ah crap! He was alive since mid august... that means he live 2 months realtime. Reach for the valliums! :D

Anyways... generated a random character... a female High Elf Weaponsmith... don't expect to get that far. Hmm. Should be fun. Any bets on how she dies?

Actually here's a quick one - being a weaponsmith, she carries a heavy anvil at 1000st. Since Forges are few and between. Is there any point in carrying this heavy object around with her? Her max. carrying ability is 1350st and her start weight is 1316st ! Leave her anvil at Lawsville until later?

Many thanks,
James.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3900 days, 12 hours, 38 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 at 06:06 (GMT -5)

just leave the anvil somewhere safe, in Terinyo on the line closest to the top of the screen where you can get is the best place in terinyo, because the farmers won't go there.
I don't see a point in carrying it around until you find a forge
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
hamster
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

I thought so thanks -

Anyone get far with these Weaponsmiths. Make a living selling swords? :)
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 at 09:10 (GMT -5)

I've completed the game with a Dwarven Weaponsmith, quite easy, you can get your DV to 100 with very little trouble

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
hamster
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

hmmm... ok start so far. Currently doing the Lawful Healing quest. It's going to take sometime to get used to using just Melee and missiles again.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6510 days, 9 hours, 1 minute and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 at 13:55 (GMT -5)

Actually a weaponsmith (especially a high elf) will make a fairly decent caster once you get literacy and concentration up to 100.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

Anything that starts with concentration has decent spell casting abilities. You just won't find as many books or learn spells quite as well. Personally, I don't play anything that doesn't start with concentration.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 23 hours, 6 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 at 03:17 (GMT -5)

Weaponsmiths' strength is in the armor and weaopns they can improve for themselves. Mine ants for the ingots and ore; and do a little mining yourself, if you have the time. Remember the 90-day limit!!
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

Mining doesn't actually take that much time, I finished the game with a weaponsmith on day 68, and I mined a few levels
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 21:13 (GMT -5)

Yeah, just in case you don't know this yet, weaponsmiths can't make new armor and weapons. Smithing is used to improve weapons and armor you already have.

Don't worry about getting incredibly smithed up eternium armor, when I closed the gate with a weaponsmith I don't think I was wearing any eternium armor at all. It's much easier to get iron/mith ingots, so chances are that you'll get iron and mith armors just as high as eternium in the same time. Well, some people might not agree with that, but I had [+14,+9] gauntlets of strength in that game, and [+8,+15] elven chain mail, and nobody can deny that that's some darn good armor.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6835 days, 10 hours, 13 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

Can armor ward off magical attacks, by any chance? I'm looking for some sort of armor to stand up against the ACW.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 23 hours, 6 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 at 20:28 (GMT -5)

Dodge helps, I believe. And PV in general.

And, strangely enough, a wand or spell of Summon Monster, so the ACW doesn't have line of sight to you...
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/5/2004 at 20:28 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6835 days, 10 hours, 13 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 at 21:56 (GMT -5)

I have trouble advancing my Dodge skill (1d3 doesn't do much), and my PV is 70.

The problem with blocking LoS is that my PC can only attack the ACW on a straight line (if I ever manage to find wands of cold) or when standing adjacent to the ACW.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5686 days, 17 hours, 21 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 at 05:23 (GMT -5)

I wonder if having a shield equipped prevents you from training your dodge skill, giving you marks in the shields category instead. Has anyone tried this?
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/6/2004 at 10:35 (GMT -5) by Knud]
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

I'm currently playing a monk (with no shield) and I've run out of room to advance dodge like I always do, so it probably doesn't make a difference whether you're equipping a shield or not.

Though my DV is probably too high to train dodge at all, anyway... almost 100, on very agressive! With no shield. I find that amazing.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: