Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Favourite talents?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Kayla Bishop
Registered user
-ADOM Newbie Goddess-

Last page view:

7143 days, 46 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 09:58 (GMT -5)

Just wondering what everyone's favourite talents are. I like Pious, Healthy, Brawler if I'm a Beast Fighter, Porter, and Treasure Hunter.
-Nothing in life is free, except pain.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6509 days, 19 hours, 39 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

I like all the aggressive talents. Like, with barbarians I usually pick Affinity with two-handers, aggressive, natural berserker, basher, powerful/mighty strike. I also like quick, very quick, greased lightning.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Kayla Bishop
Registered user
-ADOM Newbie Goddess-

Last page view:

7143 days, 46 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 17:16 (GMT -5)

Ah, see, I like all the Auras + Charged. I almost always play a Dark Elf Wizard, trying to win with one, which is funny, because I've never got a character through the Pyramind without dying.
-Nothing in life is free, except pain.
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6305 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

Well, it's a matter of opinion, but I think there's no shame in just skipping the pyramid with a char that's going well... It can be a pain if you haven't got any means of teleportation, not to mention if you don't have the Alert skill either.

As for the talents...
Basically treasure hunter and healthy. If I feel my char will be weak from the start, I'll pick "scout", to reduce the chances of being killed in the wilderness at early levels.
If I don't seem to find girdles of carrying and/or decide to wear eternium/etc ones for the PV, then I also get the porter, master packager and beast of burden.
Lastly, when I'm just not sure what else to pick, I go for the quick etc.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 23:40 (GMT -5)

I always get treasure hunter, then the carrying talents, and then long stride, healthy and sixth sense usually. After that I figure it out as I go, usually DV or PV talents.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4957 days, 11 hours, 23 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

I seem to have missed out on the treasure hunter talent, and can't find it in the manual. What does it do, how do you get it?

Well, long stride is a kind of personal favourite, after that it's a tie between the good book learning ones and the carrying ones. Affinity with polearms when i play as a farmer. ;-)
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Aladar
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 at 22:48 (GMT -5)

You need the talents Alert and Miser, I believe, to make it appear in the starting talents, so unless you get a 3 talent start, you're outta luck. IIRC, you find 50% more items with it, but don't quote me on that.
Gyr Returned
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 at 23:41 (GMT -5)

It's possible to get Treasure Hunter after starting. It's just that you can't take Alert after the beginning.

I almost always take Treasure Hunter as it really does make a huge difference. Another personal favorite is Long-Lived for non-elven characters.
Aladar
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 at 00:35 (GMT -5)

Hm, you can take TH after starting? I never really tried.
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5686 days, 3 hours, 59 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

If I'm playing a spellcaster I usually take alert, potent aura and long stride as initial talents. Alert is to get treasure hunter. Potent Aura is to get charged. Long Stride is good when running away from annoying wilderness encounters, which is good early on when you're weak.

Since two bolt spells is enough to completely drain a low-level spellcasters energy, charged is the first talent I get at level 3. Then I go for miser and treasure hunter. After that I go after the speed talents and extended/durable magic etc. I never take the carrying talents, mainly because as a wizard I can easily keep all my stuff identified, and get rid of all the items I don't want.

Should I play a fighter-type character, I usually choose alert and strong of will as initial talents. Strong of will is essential for melee weapon master, which is essential for fighters IMO. I also go after all DV-enhancing talents. If I only get one initial talent, I forsake treasure hunter and take strong of will only. I never take the carrying talents for fighters either, mainly as they have good strength, and can carry quite a load.
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/4/2004 at 07:57 (GMT -5) by Knud]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3118 days, 20 hours, 29 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 12:09 (GMT -5)

Melee weapon masters in essential??? What do you need a pitiful +3 to-hit&damage for? And for the price of 5 talents to boot... ('careful' I don't count, since it's useful). Hp regeneration, Speed, DV, PV, Basher-powerful strike-mighty strike(+6 damage & to hit, 3 talents) or shield talents(+6 DV, 3 talents) - those I find useful for a warrior.
For a thief/assassin I usually go for stealthy (more skill checks go right - Stealth trains faster and a couple skill increases saved), six sense, Speed and then the book learning talents if I can. Sometimes mechanicly inclined, since traped doors are annoying.
Wizards - Aura, charged, book learner/caster etc.
Treasure hunter is nice, but I rarely find myself acctualy taking it - I'm more focused on keeping a char alive then finding stuff.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

I hardly use weapons heavier than 100 stones, and thus never have the need for basher/powerful/mighty strike.
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Portrait
Cepheid
Registered user
pigammagammadelta

Last page view:

7087 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

Has anyone worked out how much Treasure Hunter affects chance to find things???

I've never taken a guy without TH b4... every character i start with has alert...

i also like to occasionally start with more gold so i dont run out of food...
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 9 hours, 44 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

I prefer the book-casting talents, and Treasure Hunter.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 at 05:16 (GMT -5)

Note that Treasure Hunter can be somewhat of a curse too. You'll find lots of items, many of which are crap. So you'll be constantly carrying around lots of unidentified, useless items.

I usually drop off my unid'd stuff at secure spots early on (until my strength is high enough to carry it all, or I get Strength Of Atlas). When I've accumulated a few blessed scrolls of identify, I get back and check if I found anything useful. Usually, I don't.
Unnamed
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

I always get treasure hunter as soon as possible, which means level six. You get about 1.5 times more items and that is lots of items.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6834 days, 20 hours, 52 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 at 16:10 (GMT -5)

I find that priests really benefit from Treasure Hunter simply because of the guaranteed Detect Item Status skill. You can try out stuff as you find it, and abandon what you don't want. DIS fails with auto-cursed items, but they aren't easy to find. For me, the most common auto-cursed items were rings of the fish (aquamarine rings) and white gauntlets of peace (white gauntlets).
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: